Gibson Brands Forums

Musicans friend trade in cash out.

buliwyf

I was curious how much Musicans friend trade in cash out deal would give me for my Epi SG Toni Iommi guitar with Coffin case.I filled out the form they provide and like I put down the guitar looks and still plays like new as is the Coffin case.The guitar has never been out of the house and cost me $599.00 new from MF and the case was another $79.00 from MF.Well I was offered $112.00 cash for all or $125.00 in trade,Dang seems like a serious low offer,I think a pawn shop would have given me more.

Am i wrong about this, is the market for used guitars this bad especially trying to trade up to a more expensive guitar? Has anyone else use this service?

Musicians Friend, or any retail store, is not give you near the going value for used gear. Your best bet is to sell it yourself.

In Canada, I've found Long and McQuade (major retail chain) more than fair...they routinely offer you 80% of what they will resell for. For example I had a Boss RC2 loop station that the sell used for $180 and they offered me $145 towards trade...I don't think they have a trade in, cash out option though.

Buliwyf,

Like any business, MF is there to make money.

True, like any business they have excellent deals from time to time. If and when they do, it is for reasons that benefit them. If it helps you out fine. I'm sure it is a consideration but certainly not a primary goal.

If some (not all) businesses were honest they would have the same name:

We'd Stick It Up Your A** If We Could INC.

Face it, It just wouldn't make good press.

Willy

I've been curiuos too from time to time and checked thier trade in offer out. They definitely low ball you, just like you experienced. GC on the other hand

has always been fair in their deals. Generaly 65% up to 70% of what they will sell it for. Plus you used to get 15% off the new instrument. Now it's 10%.

Depending on what you're trading for, the extra discount (plus no taxes on the trade value amount) can make it work out pretty close to what you could

hopefully sell it for. And you get your new guitar now, instead of waiting to seel your old one. Instant gratification [biggrin]

I've been curiuos too from time to time and checked thier trade in offer out. They definitely low ball you, just like you experienced. GC on the other hand

has always been fair in their deals. Generaly 65% up to 70% of what they will sell it for. Plus you used to get 15% off the new instrument. Now it's 10%.

Depending on what you're trading for, the extra discount (plus no taxes on the trade value amount) can make it work out pretty close to what you could

hopefully sell it for. And you get your new guitar now, instead of waiting to seel your old one. Instant gratification [biggrin]

Guitar center gave me 220 for my iommi, i needed to sell to fund my gibby sg. craiges list is the next best bet.

I wasn't insulted or neither did it get to me,I was just thinking of getting another guitar (something more super-strat shaped)considering i have 3 guitars SG shaped.I was just curious how much of a trade in I could get.I guess I'll keep it the Tony Iommi seriously kicks butt.

3 SG shaped guitars

Epi Tony Iommi SG

Epi White Bullseye SG with EMG's

Samick Greg Bennett Torino 3, SG shape (on Craigs list for 4 months at $200.00 and will not sell)?

I might just bring my Schecter into GC, just to see what kinda trade-in they'll offer me. I'm thinking of a Strat or one of those '56 Epi Les Pauls, either gold-top or ebony.

I hardly ever pick up the Schecter anymore.

I might just bring my Schecter into GC, just to see what kinda trade-in they'll offer me. I'm thinking of a Strat or one of those '56 Epi Les Pauls, either gold-top or ebony.

I hardly ever pick up the Schecter anymore.

Took it into GC today. Guy offered me $150 trade in. Told me he'd put it for sale at $300. Wow. I think he was comparing it to the bolt-on necks when he was doing his research.

I passed on that. Can't afford to take that big a hit on the guitar. It's worth more to me even if I never play it again.

I did spot a nice looking Sunburst Epiphone Dot, that I almost bought. I may go back tomorrow and play it a little, just to see if I want it.

cjlandry which Schecter model is it,Ive got a Samick Greg Bennett torino 3 I cant seem to get rid of and i wouldnt mind trading for a Strat either.

Mine exactly same color and all and i cant seem to sell it for $200 or trade it and it sounds great I'm just tired of having 3 SG shaped axes.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/tr3.html

cjlandry which Schecter model is it,Ive got a Samick Greg Bennett torino 3 I cant seem to get rid of and i wouldnt mind trading for a Strat either.

Mine exactly same color and all and i cant seem to sell it for $200 or trade it and it sounds great I'm just tired of having 3 SG shaped axes.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/tr3.html

C1 Elite Diamond Series, transparent amber, bound body, neck, and headstock. Seymour Duncan humbuckers with coil tapping on the tone knob.

Fantastic looking and sounding guitar.

It seems Schecter just isn't popular enough to bring a good price on the used market these days.

Took it into GC today. Guy offered me $150 trade in. Told me he'd put it for sale at $300. Wow. I think he was comparing it to the bolt-on necks when he was doing his research.

I passed on that. Can't afford to take that big a hit on the guitar. It's worth more to me even if I never play it again.

I did spot a nice looking Sunburst Epiphone Dot, that I almost bought. I may go back tomorrow and play it a little, just to see if I want it.

Think they low balled you a bit. Probably because they wanted room to go lower on yours and sell it fast.

Archived