Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II or Dot?

Silenced Fred

I've got a Sheraton II in 3-TSB.

Differences are Bindings, Head Stock In-Lays, & Block Inlays.

Everything else I believe is the same.

One thing to note - the Sheratons stop their fretboard inlays at the 12th fret. Not a big thing but it trips some people up who are used to the inlays going farther up.

I was gonna get a Dot but found a Sheraton II on Craigslist. I replaced all the electronics and put Classic 57's in her. New Bone Nut and she plays and sounds every bit as great as a $3K Gibson 335. All told, mine cost me $650

Good luck.

103_0956.jpg

One thing to note - the Sheratons stop their fretboard inlays at the 12th fret. Not a big thing but it trips some people up who are used to the inlays going farther up.

I was gonna get a Dot but found a Sheraton II on Craigslist. I replaced all the electronics and put Classic 57's in her. New Bone Nut and she plays and sounds every bit as great as a $3K Gibson 335. All told, mine cost me $650

Good luck.

103_0956.jpg

That's purdy.

I am really leaning towards the Sheraton, but I wasn't sure of the differences. I'm gonna swap out the pups anyways, so I didn't know if that mattered or not.

I lucked out. I found a guy whose brother runs the Gibson Shop in Nashville - he happened to have a set of Early Model Classic 57's in Gold laying around. I had posted a WTB ad in Craigslist and he thought "what the hell" and offered them to me. Amazing improvement over the stock Gibson stuff. There are many boutique pickup makers out there too (Manlius, Heywood, Lindy, Lollar, etc...) You might give them a try to for something different. I've got a set of Manlius Vintage 59' pups in a LP and they are incredible.

The 2010 Epi catalog is here.

The 2010 Dot and Sheraton II have the same body materials, but different neck construction, see page 7.

We have seen that some of the new Sheraton II necks are solid mahogany, which contradicts the specs.

More discussion here.

Thanks!

I was gonna buy used anyways, I want Korean, even though that doesn't mean I'll save much money... I already have my Gibson Les Paul for trippy rock, this is gonna be for sweet raucous blues

I have both. My Dot has a little thicker neck profile than my Sheraton. I really prefer the thinner neck profile on my Sheraton. That being said, they both get just as much love. My Sheraton has a brighter sound that my Dot, I have the same pickups in both guitars, GFS Vintage 59s.

The Sherry has more bling.

My Dot:

GOOD.jpg

My Sherry:

Sherry.jpg

Good luck.

103_0956.jpg

You are mistaken. The fret inlays on the sheraton go to 15.

I have both. My Dot has a little thicker neck profile than my Sheraton. I really prefer the thinner neck profile on my Sheraton. That being said, they both get just as much love. My Sheraton has a brighter sound that my Dot, I have the same pickups in both guitars, GFS Vintage 59s.

The Sherry has more bling.

My Dot:

GOOD.jpg

My Sherry:

Sherry.jpg

Amazing Dot! I have ordered a Bigsby to mine as well, but i was wondering about the "Custom Made"-plate. Did it come with the bigsby or have you bought it separately?

Thanks. I had the Custom Made Plate made for me at a local trophy shop for $5. I've seen Custom Made plates on Ebay like what Gibson used to use for $20, but I haven't looked in a long time. Some guys like them and some don't. There used to be someone on the forum here that sold them for $20 too, might have been the same guy, I dunno.

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-1960s-Gibson-CUSTOM-MADE-plaque-es-335-/390260479770?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5add56571a

Wow, I guess they went up! Anyway, that's what they look like.

Even though I like the feel of the neck on my Sherry more, I like the tone from my Dot more. It's a little darker, not quite as bright as my Sherry.

Nathan...

I broke down and got a dot late in the summer. The only one available, it seems, in my area.

It's sunburst. Don't care much for the appearance. But playability? It has it in spades.

It sounds fine stock to me. I thicken it a bit through the amp, etc., but...

I think the Dot is probably one of the best guitar values. Period.

m

I definitely like the Sheraton's more. I really do think the dots are good guitars, and the Sheraton's are more expensive unless you find one used. IMO a used Sheraton beats a new dot any day of the week if you are going to be spending the same amount of money. The neck profile on my Sheraton is amazing. Also, the Sheraton is an Epiphone exclusive and not an overseas twin of a Gibson. You won't go wrong either way.

I've been GASing for a Dot for years and years but always dug the bling of the Sheraton II. Decided to pull the string on a Dot Deluxe, but I found a B-Stock Sheraton online and it arrived today (same price as a new Dot and its totally flawless, still 100% brand new with all plastic, never been played from what I can tell) - way cool guitar. Needs some minor setup adjustment and the stock strings just blow but those are expected things to change on all new guitars.

Interesting thing, I played a new Sheraton II at Guitar Center last week and it had this huge neck - it was a Sheraton, no mistake about it. Mine has a thinner neck for sure. Are the Sheratons made in China or Korea? Mine is Korean and the binding is kind of yellowed, not white like on my 10 yr old Epi LP Custom.. But I love the guitar!

Nathan... for what it's worth, if you play before you pay, I doubt you'll go wrong. Both instruments are, depending on the individual example, fine guitars.

I gave up on bling years ago but - hey, I ain't daid either.

m

Can i be a complete heathen just this once? I love the dots and would love a 335 (or any gibson hollow/semihollow) but if you want the trem etc why not give a moments look at the ibanez artcore series, in particular the AFS75T. currently $399 new at musicians friend.

I have to admit that for my next guitar i was in a similar frame of mind, i want a hollow and the dot was my first thought, then the wildcat until i started looking at the gretsch and ibanez guitars.after playing a few the ibanez for me came out on top partly because it has the trem already fitted but i loved the sound, size and feel, if only it was a double cut then it would win no questions asked.. sorry i'll stick with epi and gibby in future..lol

Tartan...

Personally I think we're talking different sorts of guitar. I have a jazz hollow and it's very much a different instrument with a different feel than the 335-dot.

I finally broke down and swapped a competitive model "dot type" that I never bonded with for a Dot. A world of difference in playability.

What do I play on the dot? Maybe a better question is "what don't you play on the dot."

It brings out slightly different technique even though essentially I do a variation of fingerpicking on both and it's the same hands and head. The Dot encourages more "up the neck" work, the 175 a more "classical" sort of approach. Both sound good, but different.

As for a whammy bar - been there, done that, decided it's not "me."

m

While i agree that the ibanez may not be exactly what the original poster had intended on, I cant justify buying a guitar to canibalize and start swapping parts etc. I buy guitars for their own sound rather than buy one and try and change the sound or style.

I like the ibanez because it already has the bigsby and its a nice guitar for the price, I also love the quality of build too. They are great for surf and rockabilly but also sounds really nice through a clean channel. if anything, perhaps some delay or chorus but keep it clean and the sound is pretty sweet. if i could have my way i would have one of each..lol

Yup, different guitars and if its purely a jazz guitar then the sheraton is rather nice. Dots are more practical though In my humble opinion..lol

You really won't go wrong with either. (IMHO)

What you personally need to do is play a few of both, if possible.

That way you'll really know for sure what grabs your heart.

I've long lusted for a Sheri, settled for a Dot Deluxe.

Mostly because I needed (lol), ok, wanted a variety.

I'm more interested in a wide ranging stable of gits, with different pups, pup locations, tailpieces, and woods.

1000331x.jpg

1000332.jpg

Archived