Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Dot studio, fake?

Dragothic

Few years back i got a Epiphone ES-335 Dot studio in white.

It has a Epiphone guaranteed sticker inside the top f-hole it with model name: DOT Studio AW, but there's no serial number printed. The back of the headstock however have to characters and 8 integers printed on it. And two stickers, one rectanguler saying MADE IN CHINA, and one round saying INSPECTION CARD, QC.

I cant seem to find much information about this guitar ever made in white, so im not sure if it's a legimited Epiphone.

Does anyone have info about this guitar made in white by Epiphone, and in wich time period?

• 2 months later...

Your guitar was made....

EE = Gibson/Epi-owned QuingDao plant, China

04 = year

06 = month

****=production#

Oooooo yukie, a Chinese made Epi. I once made the mistake of buying a late 80's or early 90's (can't remember, trying to block that POS from my mind) Chinese Epiphone (a quasi ES-335 called a Sheriton) in Nat finish. The finish was the ONLY nice thing about that guitar. It would never stay in tune, sounded like h3ll, a couple fake abalone inlays fell out in the first 3 months and the cheesy Goldish chrome job on the metal parts wore off faster than one dip ice cream cone disapears.

That Epi that you call a "Studio" is no Studio model. ALL Real Gibson ES-335 "Studio" models were WITHOUT F Holes and they came with Gibson's "Dirty Fingers" Humbuckers, which have 12 adjustable poles in each PU. I know, I have 2 '86 Studio models - a Ebony Black and a White one. NO F Holes! The whole point of a "Studio" model was no F Hole to feedback during recordings, or in enclosed theaters or venues.

Oooooo yukie, a Chinese made Epi. I once made the mistake of buying a late 80's or early 90's (can't remember, trying to block that POS from my mind) Chinese Epiphone (a quasi ES-335 called a Sheriton) in Nat finish. The finish was the ONLY nice thing about that guitar. It would never stay in tune, sounded like h3ll, a couple fake abalone inlays fell out in the first 3 months and the cheesy Goldish chrome job on the metal parts wore off faster than one dip ice cream cone disapears.

That Epi that you call a "Studio" is no Studio model. ALL Real Gibson ES-335 "Studio" models were WITHOUT F Holes and they came with Gibson's "Dirty Fingers" Humbuckers, which have 12 adjustable poles in each PU. I know, I have 2 '86 Studio models - a Ebony Black and a White one. NO F Holes! The whole point of a "Studio" model was no F Hole to feedback during recordings, or in enclosed theaters or venues.

I don't remember Gibson/Epiphone making guitars in China in the 1980's/90's. Japan and Korea yes. And the Sheraton was usually a top notch guitar. Maybe you're right but seems odd. [confused]

Talking bo***cks but never mind!

Epi Dot Studio is basically same as regular Dot but with the following differences:

1. Single Vol & Tone Control

2. Laminated Mahogany Body

3. Mahogany neck

4. No Dot position markers

5. No headstock inlay

Superg guitars and fantastic value for money - genarally darker tone due to all mahogany construction (closer to LP than Dot/335)

Oh and late 80's/Early 90's Sheratons weren't made in China!

Oh Mr. Vintage ... your room it ready!

RubberRoom.jpg

Jim

The Dot Studios have the hot Classic Plus pickup at the bridge (like a LP), whereas the "regular" Dot has two identical Classics. And the jack is on the side, not the top.

I always forget that the jack is in a different place.

Oh and Jim - eloquently put [thumbup]

My 04 EE Dot Studio is missing the serial sticker on the sound hole label too. Must be a 2004 thing. Great guitars though, just waiting to be modded.

Oh yeah, you KNOW a guitar (in this case a Epi) is real good ( [tongue] ) when the Serial Number "sticker" falls off. Maybe the 12 year kid in that Chinese Sweatshop lost the Elmer's Glue bottle.

Those that think the (older) Epi Sheriton was a good guitar, bargain, etc.; either your comparative levels are based on guitars you bought at BestBuy, or you are tone deaf with no taste in knowing a good instrument. Comparing a guitar made of Plywood to a Gibson Dot 335 or Les Paul? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ..... =D> The padded room is waiting for you, well stocked with sedatives.

Never the less, this Epi depicted in this threads subject, ain't no "Studio" is one is refering to the one and only true 335 "Studio", because it can't have f holes - the purpose of being a studio instrument and the reason Gibson made that model. But real musicians would know that, and you Epi lovers don't. [flapper]

... Comparing a guitar made of Plywood to a Gibson Dot 335 ...

You mean comparing a laminate (plywood) construction guitar with another laminate (plywood) construction guitar?

You are actually aware that the 335 top, sides and back aren't solid wood?

Oh yeah, you KNOW a guitar (in this case a Epi) is real good ( [tongue] ) when the Serial Number "sticker" falls off. Maybe the 12 year kid in that Chinese Sweatshop lost the Elmer's Glue bottle.

I suspect mine never had the sticker to begin with, nor had it printed on there. Seems redundant to have it there and on the back of the headstock. Enjoy your es335. I'm sure it's really nice. Personally, I like seeing the extra $2k in my bank account. To each their own, now go troll somewhere else.

ES series guitars, including Gibsons' ES175, have laminate construction. Personally I think the 175 is THE ideal guitar - but I love my Dot, too. <grin> The ES 335 from which the Epi Dot is descended has a laminate top.

There are advantages and disadvantages. But the fact of the construction type remains.

I'd say that the fellow making claims about the Dot Studio has not done his homework for current offerings on either the Epi site or at any of the web sales sites such as Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, etc. It's more than obvious that the Dot Studio currently has F holes. A bit of research would show the earlier models in black, white, etc., similarly had F holes.

Now if one wishes a carved top semi-hollow, I wish them luck, and may they find something half as good as the Dot Studio for five times the money with a carved top.

m

• 2 months later...

Im pretty happy with the guitar. It dosn't go out of tune easy, and it sounds great for a 500$ guitar.

I dont care if the early Dot Studio's had og didn't have f-holes... Half of the sound of the guitar is in the semi-hollow body construction with the f-holes... so a studio guitar without it, dosn't make sence to me... its a different type of guitar...

As i see it, the Dot Studio models are strippet of all the bling, since its supposed to be used in a studio, and it dosn't need a lot of bling to show off for audience. And that makes for a cheaper guitar.

Im currently playing with the thought of putting on a black pickguard and a black bigsby trem., and im really looking forward to that.

I'll post pictures, when im done with my project... maybe even a pre & post sound demonstration.

Im pretty happy with the guitar. It dosn't go out of tune easy, and it sounds great for a 500$ guitar.

I dont care if the early Dot Studio's had og didn't have f-holes... Half of the sound of the guitar is in the semi-hollow body construction with the f-holes... so a studio guitar without it, dosn't make sence to me... its a different type of guitar...

As i see it, the Dot Studio models are strippet of all the bling, since its supposed to be used in a studio, and it dosn't need a lot of bling to show off for audience. And that makes for a cheaper guitar.

Im currently playing with the thought of putting on a black pickguard and a black bigsby trem., and im really looking forward to that.

I'll post pictures, when im done with my project... maybe even a pre & post sound demonstration.

For me modding guitars is more fun than playing them, have fun with the upgrades and try and post some pics of each of the stages you take her through, we love that stuff here. Good luck with it.

Okay, so i just got it off ebay. The shipping was much faster then expected, so im really exited!

Just tried to put it on the guitar, to see how it looks... and it looks AWESOME! cant wait to finish the job, so i can start playing the thing as well :D

post-27155-034750200 1304863666_thumb.jpg

Just tried to put it on the guitar, to see how it looks... and it looks AWESOME! cant wait to finish the job, so i can start playing the thing as well :D

Looks fantastic DG, nothing like a Bigsby hanging off the arse of hollow/semi-hollow style guitar.

Just a heads-up, you'll quickly run out of space posting pics as attachments, there's instructions for posting pics in the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread, pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge, thanks to animalfarm who compiled and maintains it.

My 04 EE Dot Studio is missing the serial sticker on the sound hole label too. Must be a 2004 thing. Great guitars though, just waiting to be modded.

No it's just an Epiphone Semi-hollow Guitar thing. My Sheraton II (Made in Saien, Korea 08/2005, had the same thing. The Serial Number was on the back of

the headstock but not on the sticker inside the f-hole. I contacted Epiphone, As I was a newbie to their guitars at the time, and they assure me that that

was normal and that my guitar was legit, not a fake.

Milod said

I'd say that the fellow making claims about the Dot Studio has not done his homework for current offerings ...

My guess is this doofus has done rarely done much homework about anything --- probably plays video games or reads comic books instead. And good grief, why SHOULD he do homework, when he clearly knows everything worth knowing already! Why, he even knows a buncha stuff what ain't even so! [thumbdn]

Archived