Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid question thread

Silenced Fred

This is a great thread.

1. Why do I sometimes get annoying echo when I talk on my cellphone? Sometimes when I talk, I hear myself again a second later and it's really annoying.

2. Why do chicks often chase after men who treat them like dirt? Why do they crave that challenge? [confused]

3. For a guitar question: I sometimes wonder why some musician doesn't take a 12-string electric and use it with a nice amount of overdrive. Theoretically, wouldn't it have a really rich, full sound on the chords? I would try it if I have the money for a nice Rick 12-string! [thumbup]

1. Not sure

2. Not sure. But if you ever figure that out, let me know, and I will send you a check for relieving all of my stress.

3. I have tried this, and at least with the 12 string Strat I was using, it was way too noisy. Not sure what it was, but I didn't like it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo:

50s wiring... is how "real les pauls" were wired back in the day (acording to those who wire their guitars that way). Some say when you get your guitar wired like that the volume pot will not leak highs as much when you turn it down, some say it's the tone pot. I tried it in 2 guitars and worked for one, the other I didn't really like the result so I returned it to normal.

HEre's a pic I found on the net, and while searching I found the most wonderful SG with p90s [thumbup]

Gibson%20Wiring%20-%20Modern%20vs.%2050%27s.jpg

Anyway... here's a guitar related question:

Why does Gibson wire their guitars the way they do now if "everyone" wants the "right" wiring (50s style)?

And a non guitar related question:

How do you use the seashells from Demolition man? [cursing]

BTW Fred, good thread! [thumbup]

I have another question... why don't expensive brands offer more options to their guitars when cheap brands offer you the posibility to change anything? (like bridges, pickups, switching options, knob colours and materials, and so on)? I have never liked strats or superstrats, but own 5 anyway [rolleyes] and I'm amazed at how many options superstrat specialized brands like Jackson and ESP offer. You've got models where you can chose from a floyd rose bridge, a stop tail bridge, a fixed bridge, maple, ebony or rosewood fretboard, and such stuff, even inlay shape and colour. And they are way less expensive than a US Gibson, Fender or PRS. When I got my peavey wolfgang custom you could ask for anything from their guitar builder in the webpage: finish, bridge, controls, and other stuff.

I have another question... why don't expensive brands offer more options to their guitars when cheap brands offer you the posibility to change anything? (like bridges, pickups, switching options, knob colours and materials, and so on)? I have never liked strats or superstrats, but own 5 anyway [rolleyes] and I'm amazed at how many options superstrat specialized brands like Jackson and ESP offer. You've got models where you can chose from a floyd rose bridge, a stop tail bridge, a fixed bridge, maple, ebony or rosewood fretboard, and such stuff, even inlay shape and colour. And they are way less expensive than a US Gibson, Fender or PRS. When I got my peavey wolfgang custom you could ask for anything from their guitar builder in the webpage: finish, bridge, controls, and other stuff.

Exactly, just like my other thread where I asked about why Gibson won't offer Bigsbys on guitars? Its a very common mod by people, and if offered by Gibson, they could make a ton of money off of it, but something as simple as that, would be easy (from my skewed biased idea).

Why is it "cool" to hate on other musicians?

Why is it "cool" to keep throwing around the word "hate" like f-ing sprinkles on ice cream?

Serious question.

Most people today (especially the young 'uns) have no idea what hate is, or the effect it has on those who do.

Pet peeve - especially since I've been accused of it so many times in a web forum, by people who've never met me.

Okay, moving on!!!

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

This is a great thread.

1. Why do I sometimes get annoying echo when I talk on my cellphone? Sometimes when I talk, I hear myself again a second later and it's really annoying.

2. Why do chicks often chase after men who treat them like dirt? Why do they crave that challenge? [confused]

3. For a guitar question: I sometimes wonder why some musician doesn't take a 12-string electric and use it with a nice amount of overdrive. Theoretically, wouldn't it have a really rich, full sound on the chords? I would try it if I have the money for a nice Rick 12-string! [thumbup]

MUCH tougher and not very stupid questions, but here goes....

1. Feed back from the circuitry bleeding from the TX to the RX.

2. Women have a need to nurture, and bad guys need fixing. Hang in there, I don't think I got the last good woman out there.

3. If you're solo, go for it, but sonically it will sound like mud... too much frequency overlap as you distort the individual wave forms. If you're in a band.... why you wanna hog ALL the frequencies?? Leave some for the rest of the band.... :)

Anyway... here's a guitar related question:

Why does Gibson wire their guitars the way they do now if "everyone" wants the "right" wiring (50s style)?

And a non guitar related question:

How do you use the seashells from Demolition man? [cursing]

1. It's faster to wire them, ergo it's more cost effective.

2. <snicker> He doesn't know how to use the shells.....

MUCH tougher and not very stupid questions, but here goes....

1. Feed back from the circuitry bleeding from the TX to the RX.

2. Women have a need to nurture, and bad guys need fixing. Hang in there, I don't think I got the last good woman out there.

3. If you're solo, go for it, but sonically it will sound like mud... too much frequency overlap as you distort the individual wave forms. If you're in a band.... why you wanna hog ALL the frequencies?? Leave some for the rest of the band.... :)

You're right: heavier than stupid. But I thank you just the same.

Why is it "cool" to keep throwing around the word "hate" like f-ing sprinkles on ice cream?

Serious question.

Most people today (especially the young 'uns) have no idea what hate is, or the effect it has on those who do.

Pet peeve - especially since I've been accused of it so many times in a web forum, by people who've never met me.

Its another one of those words that has lost meaning from the original sense. People now use "gay" to describe something that is stupid, and another racial epithet has gained popularity as a popular greeting. Hate is a strong word, so I'll try and find an alternative [smile]

Exclusivity.

Serious question.

Okay, moving on!!!

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

1. Because , unlike Latin, the English language is still alive and evolving. "Hatin'" and "Haterz" are now a part of the standard lexicon of most Americans (at least under a certain age neither one of us will see again...). Cool no longer refers to temperature, Far out does not equate to physical distance, and as Huey Louis let us know, sometimes Bad is Bad.

2. For the same reason that a road that costs litterally millions of dollars to build and maintain is referred to as the "Freeway".

[flapper]

At first I was like "What the hell? This is my thread!"

Then I saw the wink, and it was ok.

But I still don't get it

I was just giving you grief (in fun) for putting a serious question into a "stupid" question thread. Being over the top was s'possed to make it funnier.

Swing and a miss!

Sorry. I'll try to be funny elsewhere for now. :unsure:

3. For a guitar question: I sometimes wonder why some musician doesn't take a 12-string electric and use it with a nice amount of overdrive. Theoretically, wouldn't it have a really rich, full sound on the chords?

There is a guy kinda doing that, but it's a nine string - only the three plain strings are doubled. Read it somewhere, have not heard it myself, but he says it sounds very heavy. Can't remember what band it was though.

Why is nitro suposed to be better than poly? [confused]

I might get flamed for this but I prefer poly [thumbup]

Polyurethane tends to be thicker, even in single coats. The logic is that a thicker coating will dampen the wood.

I prefer poly, too, but just because it allows me to be less careful with my axe.... as in no worries about rubber contact and less easily dinged.

Thanks, Tman. I'll take that as a compliment :)

RE 12 and 9 string electrics, etc.

Big Joe Williams played an electrified 9 string for blues. As I recall he used some odd tunings. The guitar and amps were so horrid that you could make a case that he was using "overdrive." That was back in the folkie days. His sound was as "dark" as his personality seemed to be if you met him - and that ain't got nothin' to do with skin color. That was one super-tough bluesman.

Usually 12-string folks did what they could to retain the 12-string sound - or you may as well just daisychain a batch of stomp boxes to get toward something else. It ain't 'cuz they're so easy to play. I still have soundhold pickup in an acoustic 12. Love it straight into a clean amp.

My understanding is that McGuin came up a cupla years ago with a 7-string that doubles the G as with a 12. That was done at least 47-8 years ago by folk bluesy Spider John Koerner up in the twin cities and they had a minor sort of batch of recording success as Koerner, Ray and Glover.

I made up my own version of it in 67 or so for one rock band I played in as well as for some solo "raggy" sorts of blues. Works best fingerpicking in one way or another. Wouldn't mind doing another one...

As for poly finish - I think for saloon playing it makes awfully good sense. If there's a reason to do an Epi Dot over a Gibson 335, for instance, assuming you've cash for both - I'd say use the dot for small saloon gigs and save the Gibson for bigger indoor stage shows. Alas, it appears I ain't likely at the latter, but what the heck... <grin>

m

It was meant as such.

Do you know anything about WLS satin finish? It's a real and stupid question I have. Played a guitar billed as such and it was smooth as butter.

A satin finish is just the name for the texture, like "gloss". Think semi-gloss in terms of what it's like.... or a Gibson "Faded" guitar. WLS, I believe is a color designator, like Walnut Lilly Satin.

Yes, I know it's redundant, but such is the way of marketing.

Archived