Gibson Brands Forums

image scale on?

S t e v e

what's the f**k*** point in that if every image i upload fails because it's too large?

iv'e noticed that on a few websites, basicly if you have a top quality HD camera which you bought because you want the best...your fu**ed when uploading to websites! what a fu**ing joke! [cursing]

Not everyone has hi-speed interwebz. While the Forum will resize the image display to fit the page, it does not change the file size. So folks on dial up or slower connects will be crippled as they DL the 3GB HD graphic file.

Hope this helps you find a peace with it.... :D

The image resize is more for making the pics standardized as not to run off the forum edge, widening the forum to 1500 pixels...like in the old forum. God, that was annoying. The forum is still going to be set to only allow a certain file size though. 2500x2000 @ 300 dpi is farking huge and makes the script work much harder - and still takes a long time to load the image.

And if you are talking about the attachment uploader, same thing. But more restrictions apply as you are uploading directly to the Gibson server. I think you are allowed only 5 or so attachments anyway before you are full.

Try resampling the image to 72 dpi. That is standard web res anyway.

Never used imgur, but I like the photo editing software on PB.

Will imgur let you load directly from a mobile device?

I dunno, but I expect it will.

Never tried it.

Was able to upload a pic from the phone, but wasn't smart enough to copy and paste the text from imgur.

Back to the woodshed.

Seems to work fine - see fish, below.

No need.

Do like I said.

No failures, no uploading to the forum at all.

Photobucket (and the like) are OK if you need 'em. I like imgur because you don't need to register or maintain anything.

Really? How do you keep track of your pics? I'm genuinely curious because I tend to upload to my virtual server to avoid the hassles of Flikr, Photobucket, etc. Needless to say I'm eating up bandwidth at an exponential rate between image hosting and my Strat/E-Series Guide. Also, is there a bandwidth limit? Thats probably the worst part about PB.

Really? How do you keep track of your pics? I'm genuinely curious because I tend to upload to my virtual server to avoid the hassles of Flikr, Photobucket, etc. Needless to say I'm eating up bandwidth at an exponential rate between image hosting and my Strat/E-Series Guide. Also, is there a bandwidth limit? Thats probably the worst part about PB.

I don't keep track of them on line. I think they have an option that lets you register, create albums, etc., but I have no time for that.

If I need a pic, it only takes a second to upload it again.

No limit that I've found.

/shrug

I'm not even close to mine, but I'm just storing pics and videos.

I guess I could host my own server, but would constantly be warring with the kids for bandwidth.

God forbid Warcraft lagged on max graphics.....

[biggrin]

I don't keep track of them on line. I think they have an option that lets you register, create albums, etc., but I have no time for that.

If I need a pic, it only takes a second to upload it again.

No limit that I've found.

Cool. Will check it out. Thanks.

/shrug

I'm not even close to mine, but I'm just storing pics and videos.

I guess I could host my own server, but would constantly be warring with the kids for bandwidth.

God forbid Warcraft lagged on max graphics.....

[biggrin]

I've often pondered the idea of hosting my own server. I even have an older dual 800 Compaq ready to go. But I think my ISP frowns on that sort of thing unless I get a business package. I'm cool with the virtual, but I need to get a better plan and stop hosting my images from there. And yeah, lag. My wife wouldnt be too happy about that. I get enough grief when I hog the tubes as it is.

what's the f**k*** point in that if every image i upload fails because it's too large?

iv'e noticed that on a few websites, basicly if you have a top quality HD camera which you bought because you want the best...your fu**ed when uploading to websites! what a fu**ing joke! [cursing]

This is a website, not some 36-inch,

wide format, roll-fed poster printer.

And BTW, this server cost more than

your friggin camera.

`

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the maximum resolution on a computer monitor 72-96 DPI anyway? In which case an image that is 3240 x 2430 at 300 DPI will be very wide (way outside the browser window) but not necessarily "look" any better.

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't the maximum resolution on a computer monitor 72-96 DPI anyway? In which case an image that is 3240 x 2430 at 300 DPI will be very wide (way outside the browser window) but not necessarily "look" any better.

Something like that. Or maybe something else. I think magazine photos are like 72 DPI, and newspaper somewhat less.

If my wife tried to print the pics out of her little camera in native format, it would prolly take about $4,200 worth of ink.

I leave my calculator on the bench and let somebody else figure all that out.

I load 'em up, then paste the link. Something else figures out how to show it, and I don't get failure notices.

My computer says (normal 96 dpi) & (large 120 dpi). It probably depends on your video card to some degree. I can also set a custom dpi. Optimum web resolution is 72 dpi. Most image uploaders that resize will also resample your image to 72 dpi.

Archived