Gibson Brands Forums

When your Wife won't let buy another guitar

onewilyfool

Scott, You will be re-united in heaven: She will be there waiting for you with a smile and a new guitar! I'm sure, as a good mother, she is more worried about you and your children than herself. Don't let her think you will be devastated when she moves on, or it will be harder for her. Prayers to follow. jim

Thanks for all he kind words, guys. I guess none of us know how we're going to react in a situation like this. I haven't become a basket case at all. Once in a while I get a little jolt and the emotions get pretty strong but it only lasts a second. The way I see it, I need to take care of her and I won't get anything done if I fall apart.

In September (early October?) she got what we thought was a cold. There was a bad cold going around and she already has COPD so when she took sick I was like, oh boy, this will be dramatic. After a week or so she went to the doctor who thought it might be pneumonia. Steroid and pain pill time. A week later she was worse. CT scan said cancer. A week later the biopsy confirmed it. Last week we went to cancer care place 200 miles away who did a PET/CT scan and confirmed it's stage 4 small cell and has spread to the lymph nodes, pelvis, other places. She has opted to not do chemo. She's sick all the time now; chemo would make it worse and might only add a month.

So she camps out on the couch and we wait on her. She might get a burst of energy and jump in the shower or sweep the floor or sit up and blab on the phone for a solid hour but it drains her. She's using a fentanyl patch plus oxycodone and I rub some of that Tylenol pain cream on her 3 or 4 times a day. That stuff works miracles by itself.

She's always been tiny but she's around 89 - 90 lbs and she's 5'6" so it doesn't take much to sap the energy out of her. I can't get her to eat much because she can't keep it down. Over the course of the day she might have a whole piece of toast. a couple spoons of macaroni, a cup of tomato soup... I lose that much if I sneeze during lunch.

So we just do what needs doing. No idea what the next few months will bring. I'm thankful our girls are grown and in college and not 4 and 6. And when I think about all the kids who have cancer.... whew. Things can always be worse, no mtter your situation.

Scott, I greatly admire your strength and at a loss of words to offer incouragement other than we all need to live each day as it could be our last. The higher powers that be are hard to understand when at times they ommit the evil and wicked and prey on the young and pure. In the end we can only do the best with what we have in our blink of time in existance. I am sure she feels her and your love grow stronger as you do what you can to comfort her, in the end thats all there is. My prayers for you and your wife again I admire your strength and courage.

I just don't think words can say what many of us here on the forum feel...

Sometimes bad things happen to good people...it just isn't fair.

As you say ...imaging this happening to a 3 year old or a 7 year old kid....

Always cherish what you have!!

Thanks for sharing. This stranger hopes she can help you and your family carry even a small corner of your trouble, if only through thoughts and prayers.

You will grow and endure, especially if (to paraphrase Julie Miller) you are willing to "look sorrow in the eye." Sounds like you are doing just that.

Check in from time to time...I'm sure many of us will be thinking of all of you.

Regards,

Anne

Archived