Gibson Brands Forums

nice case Epiphone !

crust

Epicase003.jpg

Epicase001.jpg

4 latches, 3 on the "open side, one on the "closed" side. Nice lock, the key was in the compartment. All wrapped in plastic (including the handle). And, it doesn't smell funny [smile]

cool box too

Epicase004.jpg

The Junior fits ok, maybe a little space at the end of the body. Still waiting for the yellow

LP. (hopefully soon). In the mean time, she is out of the old gig bag and in a new (temporary) home.

The Junior fits ok, maybe a little space at the end of the body.

Congrats on the new case.

Just make sure that if the lower bout is sitting too low that it does not cause the neck to rise excessively.

It could cause undue pressure on the nut, neck or headstock when case is closed.

It is most common with Juniors, Specials and Special II because of the thinner bodies.

If it does it is an easy fix.

Sometimes just a folded polishing cloth under the lower bout will take care of it ....or....

A few bucks at local fabric store for some foam rubber and some material:

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

photo2.jpg

Willy

Congrats on the new case.

Just make sure that if the lower bout is sitting too low that it does not cause the neck to rise excessively.

It could cause undue pressure on the nut, neck or headstock when case is closed.

It is most common with Juniors, Specials and Special II because of the thinner bodies.

If it does it is an easy fix.

Sometimes just a folded polishing cloth under the lower bout will take care of it ....or....

A few bucks at local fabric store for some foam rubber and some material:

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

photo2.jpg

Willy

OK, thanks for the info. Also got 3 silica crystal bags too [biggrin]

Hi,

I got nearly the same case for my LP Tribute 60. What makes me wonder is ... on the website they say it's made of black vinyl, but it smells and looks like real leather.

Also got 3 silica crystal bags too [biggrin]

... which will dry out the wood, if you store the git inside the case, especially in winter, when indoors humidity is already very low. I desided, that the silica is better used in the case of my AKG large condensor mic.

Hi,

I got nearly the same case for my LP Tribute 60. What makes me wonder is ... on the website they say it's made of black vinyl, but it smells and looks like real leather.

... which will dry out the wood, if you store the git inside the case, especially in winter, when indoors humidity is already very low. I desided, that the silica is better used in the case of my AKG large condensor mic.

Thanks for the info. I did take them out of the case and put them in my "junk drawer" where I keep software disks and cameras cables/boxes and other stuff that could use a "demoistureizer"

Thanks for the info.

No prob. I have mixed feelings about this silica gel packs in guitar cases. If it's an empty case, which is sold separately, it's great, but in case the guitar is sold with the case, it can have advantages or disadvantages, depending on how and how long the guitar is stored before being sold. Imagine a big guitar shop orders maybe 10 guitars of a specific model and the last one is sold a year later. Imagine the guitar and case were stored this long in a room with low humidity [scared]

PS: I found out a few days ago, that we could buy humidifiers for guitar cases, for the case, we want to store the git in the case in a low humidity room. Or we

;)

No prob. I have mixed feelings about this silica gel packs in guitar cases. If it's an empty case, which is sold separately, it's great, but in case the guitar is sold with the case, it can have advantages or disadvantages, depending on how and how long the guitar is stored before being sold. Imagine a big guitar shop orders maybe 10 guitars of a specific model and the last one is sold a year later. Imagine the guitar and case were stored this long in a room with low humidity [scared]

PS: I found out a few days ago, that we could buy humidifiers for guitar cases, for the case, we want to store the git in the case in a low humidity room. Or we

;)

I can understand that guitars (acoustic guitars in particular) need humidifying in order to keep the wood from becoming dry and cracking. I also wonder about humidifying a solid body electric guitar . With it being solid wood, and with electronics/pickups is it really a good idea to humidify a solid body electric guitar (or any electrified guitar for that matter).

I also wonder about humidifying a solid body electric guitar .

They also can dry out, especially the fingerboard, which often causes a bow in the neck, because the fingerboard dries faster then the neck itself. Also small cracks in the fingerboard might occur or problems with the frets. Depending on the finish, the whole body can dry out too. But even epoxy finishes don't seal the body ... what about the bare wood inside the pod "cases" ... it's not always sealed isn't it?

I can understand that guitars (acoustic guitars in particular) need humidifying in order to keep the wood from becoming dry and cracking. I also wonder about humidifying a solid body electric guitar . With it being solid wood, and with electronics/pickups is it really a good idea to humidify a solid body electric guitar (or any electrified guitar for that matter).

The short answer is yes.

Solid bodied gits absorb, or lose moisture just like any wood product. Guitars in particular, with different types of woods mixed together need to be "kept" in a stable condition. A Rosewood fretboard on a Mahogany neck with a composite body, all of these various types of woods dehydrate at different speeds. Stress from overdrying can rupture glue joints or warp the neck.

A little bit of over caution never hurts.

A little bit of over caution never hurts.

Yes, and a humidity of 45-50% is considered ideal. I think, humidities below 40% and above 60% are critical and below 30% and above 70% are dangerous for instruments made of wood, no matter if acoustic or electric.

I remember, that someone reported, that he regularly travels from the coast to the mountains and that his string's action changes noticably, because of the changed humidity.

PS: Huge temperature change are also dangerous. It's often recommended, that we keep the gituar in the case for one hour to slowly acclimatize, after we traveled with it through the winter cold, maybe from our home to the rehearsal room.

I had an Epi LP case with better neck support than the case my Gibson LP or Gibson Lucille came in.I always wondered why everyone didn't support the neck like the Epi case did. It just made good common sense to me, but then common sense isn't so common anymore.

My newest Epi LP case has 5 latches. 2 on the back and 3 on the front.

#5 latch is at the lower curve near the bottom, exactly opposite from the one on the front.

5 latches, you don't say [blink]

Yes, and the 5th one sometimes gets forgotten about. I about broke it off once cuz I'd sworn I'd already released them all

You can see it near the support strip close to the control knobs:

TraditionalPro2002-1.jpg

Yeh, it can be quite the hassle when you forget about it. The other thing I don't like about the Epiphone Les Paul cases is that they are covered in

Tolex and that doesn't seem to be as "road worthy" as the Vinyl covered one I have on my Sheraton II (which has only 3 latches). My Les Paul case has

all kinds of nicks and tears, whereas my Sheraton II case is just fine and I've had the latter longer than the former and have gigged with both guitars.

Archived