Gibson Brands Forums

Gig Footage

albertjohn

A clip of a new song Ashley and I tried on Friday night for the first time - one of the few I sing. Cover of The Stereophonics I Wouldn't Believe Your Radio.

A lot of background noise I'm afraid. It's bloody rude, people talking, laughing and enjoying themselves in a pub, while we're playing! [tongue]

It's raw, the mixing could be better, but it's a great song to do.

What do you guys think? All comments welcome.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JLXyuMDQ0c&feature=player_profilepage

AJ, it's fabulous!! I know you musicians like it when the crowd is chatty and noisy, but those of us trying to hear the music get a wee bit annoyed. I also liked your cover of Poker Face but couldn't find anywhere to leave a comment.

Excellent playing and singing! Really liked it!

Well done AJ ! I takes a lot of guts do lead vocals and I thought you pulled it of well.

Im still waiting for my turn, but both my partner and my mrs are so much better at it than me that it might be sometime yet.

But its great to sing isnt it, keep it up, continue to strengthen your voice and you'll be sharing lead vocal duties in no time !

cheers,

M.

Thanks for all the comments chaps. I have been suffering with a bit of a sore throat and gargling with TCP, but it wasn't too bad I thought. My problem is I don't practice singing enough.

MANNIC, Glenn Tillbrook you say. I'm flattered, cheers mate. You've got me thinking though - we don't do any Squeeze so I might try to learn a few.

GG - I don't know how Facebook works either but thanks for the comments anyway. It's a fun song to do and is our version of Ben's Brother's version.

OWF/jt - could be some mileage in the name.

Euroaussie. It's all about strengthening the voice for me, as you say. I pretty comfortable with harmonies but lead vocal is another level I'm not that comfortable with yet. But I'll keep working on it. You've got a couple of good singers with your partner and Mrs Euroaussie. Maybe try a few songs with some nice 3 part harmonies?

Thanks again everyone for your comments - always very valuable. Cheers

Just catchin' up today.

Very enjoyable.

I really liked the chord voicings - they mixed very nicely.

Thanks BK. The original is in A played A9 XO22OO but that's too high for my voice. Took it up a 5th and capod on 7th fret. Sung down a 4th.Ash is playing the equivalent open chords. Lovely sound with the SWD and 185 contrast too. It's funny how some songs work. Our drunken fan club were singing along too, in case no-one noticed.

Just catchin' up today.

Very enjoyable.

I really liked the chord voicings - they mixed very nicely.

I agree, it is soo cool sounding when one guitar capos up and the other is in open format. Gives the song a great harmony in a sense. One thing I can't do is actually PLAY with someone who is not in the same fret as me, I get all confused....lol. I notice AJ is NOT looking at his partner while playing.....lol

Great job, AJ!! The SWD and the 185 do blend well together. Sound? (amplification) Playing through an amp or PA?

Thanks Larry. I had my SWD through my Marshall AS50 (plus the Tak 12 string) and my vocal through a second AS50 (Ashley's old amp). I'm using 2 at the moment so I don't have to keep unplugging when swapping guitars. I need to upgrade my amplification but that will have to wait till the new year.

Ash has his vocal and his J185 through his Bose L1 Compact. He uses a harmoniser on some songs although not on this one.

We both use Shure SM58s. No other pedals or effect.

Just plain and raw - 2 Gibsons and 2 Blokes!

Remarkably similar set up to ours. We also plug into the Marshall but AS100D and use Shure mics SM58 and SM57beta, except i also use a fishman aura spectrum DI.

I like it how you use both Marshalls. One of the problems i have is that with the single Marshall we both have to 'share' the same effects, which is basically reverb. However on some tracks (when i really want a thick tone) i would like use Hall reverb while my vocalist likes generally the lesser Room reverb. Having two amps would solve that problem, or i might get the G Natural effects pedal and separate it that way.

Thanks for sharing, always good to know how the folks here set up their live units.

Anyone else care to share their live set up ?

cheers.

Thanks Larry. I had my SWD through my Marshall AS50 (plus the Tak 12 string) and my vocal through a second AS50 (Ashley's old amp). I'm using 2 at the moment so I don't have to keep unplugging when swapping guitars. I need to upgrade my amplification but that will have to wait till the new year.

Ash has his vocal and his J185 through his Bose L1 Compact. He uses a harmoniser on some songs although not on this one.

We both use Shure SM58s. No other pedals or effect.

Just plain and raw - 2 Gibsons and 2 Blokes!

That was really good AJ, a great infectious song well rendered !!

What I would like though, is to hear a short tasteful guitar solo...

And the high capo'd guitar is in mandolin territory(food for thought)...

Show us more stuff

V

:-({|=

Cheers V. A very enjoyable song to do.

I do a little soloing. I do cut down short solos on Comfortably Numb (the 1st one), Hotel California (the end section) and Wish You Were Here - 3 of a very small number of solos I have learned by rote. Improvising is not my strength at all but I will give it a go. Great suggestion.

Euroaussie, the 2 AS50s work really well. No popping and banging when swapping guitars and I can set up each one for tone, volume and reverb before playing. You get better clarity and separation by having the vocals through it's own amp too, I find. But I'm completely paranoid about the top one falling off. They are clearly not built to be stacked.

I really need a Bose L1 Compact or the Fishman Soloamp. The sound quality on his Bose is awesome, particularly the vocals whci are very natural and true to his voice. They're alot of dosh but as an alternative, I regularly scan ebay for a bargain AS100 as I think this would suit me very well. On the reverb point, I tend to have just enough to hear on both guitars and vox but rarely adjust it during a gig, so I could live with the limitations I reckon.

We're hoping to find some time over xmas to get to Robbie's studio/workshop to do a short dvd as a demo for other pubs etc and get some more gigs.

Archived