Gibson Brands Forums

gibson flying v faded

krock

Im about to buy a new guitar. I've narrowed down the guitars to the gibson flying v faded. However, here I've hit a snag. Which is better in your opinion, the 2 or 3 pup model. I know that both guitars have different pups. The 2 pup model also has an additional tone knob where as the 3 pup model has a 6 way pup selector switch. I just wanted to know which you think is better and the pro's and con's of it. Thanks in advance.

I think the look is more balanced. 3 pups on the V bodystyle looks too busy to my eye.

4 is right out... :)

Im not too bothered about the looks. Im thinking more about the pickup config. I play rock with a little bit of blues and metal so I need the config to allow for this. I was thinking that the 500 bridge pup in the 2 pup model would be too hot for rock and blues and would be solely suited to metal.

I always find the middle p-up on a Gibson interferes with my picking style so I'd always choose a two-pup model.

Try both for as long as the store will let you. That's really the best way to find out what suits you best.

P.

LOL - Awesome! 4x as cool! [lol]

I never thought I'd love my Faded Flying V as much as I do now...Im one who actually loves Gibson's ceramic pups and once I got my V set up to my liking it plays like butter...and the high-output pups can really deal out some great distortion (Does clean just fine as well)..I prefer two pups as well due to the fact that I'm always hitting the middle pickup with my pick...

Also I was wondering would the finish on the guitar rub off easily? Because I dont wish for my new pride and joy to get marked quite so soon.

You are defintely not in the market for a faded, then. That is the one thing I've heard about them that seems to be prevalent... the thinner finish makes it more easily dinged.

Go try a 3 pup model and see if you like it. Doesn't have to be a V to test the config.

You are defintely not in the market for a faded, then. That is the one thing I've heard about them that seems to be prevalent... the thinner finish makes it more easily dinged.

Go try a 3 pup model and see if you like it. Doesn't have to be a V to test the config.

Really? My faded V doesnt have a mark or a scratch unlike my Gibson Studio Deluxe..(The scratches are VERY minor, but I think its due to slight picking or buffing) The V is also hanging up and alot of contact with smoke and is one of the few I have a strap on. I actually thought it hid it better then the gloss finish but what your saying does make sense.

Really? My faded V doesnt have a mark or a scratch unlike my Gibson Studio Deluxe..(The scratches are VERY minor, but I think its due to slight picking or buffing) The V is also hanging up and alot of contact with smoke and is one of the few I have a strap on. I actually thought it hid it better then the gloss finish but what your saying does make sense.

No, I lied and made that up because I have a secret hatred of faded guitars.....

smiley-dance005.gif

[lol]

Yes seriously! I've not owned one, but I have heard from numerous folks who buy the faded finish and complain about color transfer and how easily dinged they are.

No, I lied and made that up because I have a secret hatred of faded guitars.....

smiley-dance005.gif

[lol]

Yes seriously! I've not owned one, but I have heard from numerous folks who buy the faded finish and complain about color transfer and how easily dinged they are.

Well good to know Chanman!...I really do enjoy the feel of the neck with faded finishes...but dig the look of gloss better..thanks for the info [thumbup]

Archived