Gibson Brands Forums

The ROCK LOCK..... well, MAYBE.

animalfarm

Ran across this SOMEWHERE. Read the article, partially agree, and I'll

put in my $.02 (that's like .000001 EUROS, right?) [biggrin]

"The ROCK LOCK helps protect your guitar from thieving hands"

http://www.gizmag.com/the-rock-lock-helps-protect-your-guitar-from-thieving-hands/16732/

As the article states, In a PUBLIC setting (GIGS) this WOULD deter someone from

helping themselves to your gits while you're on break. OK, I'm "down with that".

At HOME - Uhhhhhhhhh, AIN'T gonna be a good result if thieves get in while you're away.

If someone breaks into your home and sees a git secured like the pic, they're going to

be ANGRY they cannot just steal it. So, based on the "If I can't have it, YOU can't have it"

mentality, they're going to break your git neck out of sheer anger.

Perhaps they'll just steal the BODY and sell it for parts?

rocklock.jpgrocklock-3.jpg

I managed not to lose any gear over 20 years of gigging including some of the seediest venues in Boston (The Rat, The Channel, etc.) and it was always because I never let my stuff out of my sight, including taking my guitar with me if I left the building between sound check and the set. I'd be afraid this device would give me a false sense of security, and the thief would walk off with guitar AND amp (except the one above).

What I find amazing is the number of bands these days who post heartwrenching tales of theft on Craigslist because they left all their stuff in a van in some dark alley overnight. I can never tell whether these are true stories of total stupidity, or they're trying to scam their insurance company.

What I find amazing is the number of bands these days who post heartwrenching tales of theft on Craigslist because they left all their stuff in a van in some dark alley overnight. I can never tell whether these are true stories of total stupidity, or they're trying to scam their insurance company.

No, Brian, its true. I've played many gigs where the venue either wouldnt let you load in until the previous band was done with thier set - or you had to remove your gear from the building immediatley after your set. Small venues, usually. The only option is to leave your stuff in the van...or go home after your set...which isnt very supportive of the next band - or even an agreeable thing to do between all of the band members.

I dont typically leave my bass in the car/van/whatever because I dont want it stolen - or because of the cold/heat. If someone wants to try and steal my half stack, good luck to you. But people like to steal instruments from inside of clubs as well. I cant keep my eyes on it every second. Its just not possible.

It looks like a good idea for gigging, but i certainly wouldn't use it at home ... nothing says "I AM REALLY VALUABLE PLEASE STEEL ME" like a security chain. I would leave out my normal guitars on wall hangers or stands and keep any really special guitars in a locked case in the wardrobe or under the bed.

Heck; any leatherman type tool would snip that thing...Good idea, but it gives a false sense of security in my mind...I no longer tour or gig...Security was/ is always a mess for musicians...Man, memories...#-o

Brianh, way back I gigged both those spots; and many other Boston venues...The Channel was something...memories again...:-k

No, Brian, its true. I've played many gigs where the venue either wouldnt let you load in until the previous band was done with thier set - or you had to remove your gear from the building immediatley after your set. Small venues, usually. The only option is to leave your stuff in the van...or go home after your set...which isnt very supportive of the next band - or even an agreeable thing to do between all of the band members.

Seems like a good case for having a rig that is completely undesirable looking - but plays perfectly well, just for those venues.

As I read on the Gibby forum, why take a $3,000 guitar to a $50 gig. [laugh]

Seems like a good case for having a rig that is completely undesirable looking - but plays perfectly well, just for those venues.

As I read on the Gibby forum, why take a $3,000 guitar to a $50 gig. [laugh]

I am conflicted on that one myself. I can either take the $1000 bass that sounds great or take the $400 bass that sounds not-so-great, but has almost 20 years of sentimental value. [confused] I usually end up taking the more expensive bass because I have less of an attachment to it...and it sounds better. As for my amp, well, good luck stealing the cab without me noticing...And the head is usually buried under a pile of stuff. I'd be more comfortable losing the head than a bass.

... nothing says "I AM REALLY VALUABLE PLEASE STEAL ME" like a security chain.

You may have a point there. Hmmmmmmm.....

I've never had any gear stolen at gigs, as we always took our

breaks within sight of the stage, and we knew who WASN'T supposed to

be on the stage (not in the immediate Group/crew). Just lucky, I guess.

car-thieves.jpg

I started working in the music biz on and off since 89 playing in bands and working with bands and I have had only one experience where someone tried to steel equipment.

My Uncle got me my first paying music gig running lights for a really cool rock band that he was running sound for. They had a female lead guitarist who was married to the bassist and a female vocalist who was married to the rhythm guitarist. And boy did they own every Heart song they played!!!

There was a gig where we threw a going away to college party at the bass players house for his son and while we were tearing down. we had band members and friends helping us. Well, I noticed a guy carrying the drummers new DW kick pedals when the drummer said hey they are missing! Luckily we caught the guy as he was putting them in the trunk of his car! So we roughed him up a bit and called the cops and gave him a going away party of his own!!

That band parted ways about a year later due to tensions, actual fights on stage between the bassist and rhythm guitarist and the lead guitarist's addiction to a white powdery substance which I will not name, and I went to work for sound and lighting company until I moved away and got married in 97 that had systems in two venues and a road system and I never saw or heard of anything being stolen. But I have seen many times where the bands themselves would accidentally leave equipment behind! I have seen everything from an XLR cable to amp heads and even a Charvel neck through guitar in an SKB case left under the stage! Luckily we were able to get those things back to the rightful owners.

Shawn

I started working in the music biz on and off since 89 playing in bands and working with bands and I have had only one experience where someone tried to steel equipment.

Shawn

If you are gigging/working in the type of venue that has people running lights and sound, the chances of people stealing equipment decreases drastically. Its the small bars, clubs and parties that you have to be careful in. The kind of places that dont have any type of security team. When I worked for the State Theatre in Detroit, I dont ever recall any equipment being stolen. But bands leaving equipment behind happened every so often. Someone once left behind an entire drum set..for 6 months it sat in the storage room. Nobody ever claimed it or called about it.

Archived