Gibson Brands Forums

FAA Loses Track of Aircraft - But I found my old Cherokee

badbluesplayer

I wanted to see if the FAA still has the records of the old Piper Cherokee that I owned almost thirty years ago. So I googled N15580 and here she is: ...

Nice. B)

And yeah. I saw that FAA story ( http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/12/10/general-us-misplaced-planes_8195433.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews ). It makes you wonder if anyone there has one lick of common sense. [blink]

400 pounds is a lot for a 150/152 - especially in warm weather.

Fly with a skinny instructor and you'll be okay. [thumbup]

A big guy (like me) and a big instructor = lack-luster climb performance.

Makes pattern work a real drag, especially with full tanks.

I logged maybe a dozen hours in 152s and gave it up.

172 for me after that.

BBP, most of the planes I trained in or rented met undignified ends with others at the controls.

Got my Hi Performance/Complex in an Arrow IV, beyond that I have little Piper experience.

172 for me after that.

BBP, most of the planes I trained in or rented met undignified ends with others at the controls.

Got my Hi Performance/Complex in an Arrow IV, beyond that I have little Piper experience.

Ok, well the time I got to fly, it was my dad and the instructor as well as myself in the 172.

Just got to fly about in the sky and start approach. It was exhilerating

Yep.

Flying in ANY old beater is cool as hell.

Flying a nice, clean, powerful machine is REALLY cool as hell.

For me, it was the retractable gear and constant-speed prop that made me feel like I was finally doing something.

I'm a Cessna 210 kinda guy myself.

Enough room for 4 adults and bags, enough power to lift them, and enough speed to get ya there.

Beech 36 series is cool if you can afford it.

Think of it as the Les Paul Custom...

172 for me after that.

I took lessons in a 150. I was like 170 lbs and my instructor was at least like 220 or so. The plane had crashed and was rebuilt by the local technical school kids. [scared]

After I got my license one of the other students crashed the thing with my old instructor. The plane is still alive, though. Rebuilt again. :unsure:

that chief isnt the plane we owned. me and my dad found ours i believed was on camel back mtn in vt as it crashed many yrs before we found it. and restored it. the waco rnf my sister built from old plans. we also built a travelair bi plane. working on a curtis jenny project now. and a few that where sold off before they where finished.

Bah! Engines are for sissies - when I was a lad we didn't have'em :P

This is the bird I learnt to fly in:

blanik_news.jpg

DJ

--

How fast does the wind have to blow to get that sucker off the ground?

There's a sky-diving/glider strip near us. We see them from time to time soaring near our home. One once landed in a soybean field within a mile of us. I'd really LOVE to fly or ride one of those. However, my 'robust' frame may not be conducive to getting the canopy closed, let alone long flights.

[blush]

I love airplanes! I took lessons in a Cessna 150 when I was 18 but never finished because it got too expensive @ $100.00 an hour!

But I do fly radio control model airplanes. Here is a picture of my plane with my youngest son posing next to it. It's an all composite Extra 330L with a 90" wingspan and has an 85cc gasoline engine for power.

100_4434.jpg

Shawn

Archived