Gibson Brands Forums

Let's talk Amps! What Rig are you Running Through?

Andy R

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too brother and if I crank my amps at all now my ears ring for days. Got the webber Mass 150 to get the cranked feel without being miserable. I bought a Laney combo sometime around 84 or 85. It was my first "good" amp then I bought a horrible Marshall Solid State " 4/10 Stack with head" From that to A Randall RG120 sometime around 87 and Marshall 100's and 50's since then. I had an early 80's JCM800 100watt I wish I would have never gotten rid of. Might try to procure one of those before too long before they get out of a reasonable price range. How early 70's is your super lead? Is it point to point or PCB board?

Andy

The amp is a 1974. I don't believe it's a PCB unit, but I could be wrong. I remember when the Randalls where really becoming popular. I was happy with the rig I had at the time and stuck with it.

I'm playing through a Crate XT120R 2x12 Combo that is driving a Marshall 4x12 cab and I'm using an economical Digitec RP-90. I plan on getting a better amp and a better effects rig in the future. But for a low budget setup, It sounds great!

Shawn

I bought a Epi LP Ultra II. It has two output jacks. One for the humbuckers and one for the NanoMag acoustic pickup. I send my electric signal through my SKB pedalboard to my Fender HotRod Deluxe. I was going to buy a DeVille, but found that the 60 watts was hard to control the volume for smaller gigs. I mic my amp with a Shure SM57. The acoustic signal I send through a direct box directly to the soundboard. I love not having to change guitars frequently.

The amp is a 1974. I don't believe it's a PCB unit, but I could be wrong. I remember when the Randalls where really becoming popular. I was happy with the rig I had at the time and stuck with it.

If it is a 74 it would be PCB. Nothing at all wrong with that unless your into doing some modding or repair then they can be a pain to work on. They quit using PTP early to middle of 73. I remember being blown away by the Randall for the time they had a lot of gain. Dimebag sure gotta good tone out of them back in the day. You can fin them now for a few hundred bucks. May have to pick one up just to have again.msp_biggrin.gif

I bought a Epi LP Ultra II. It has two output jacks. One for the humbuckers and one for the NanoMag acoustic pickup. I send my electric signal through my SKB pedalboard to my Fender HotRod Deluxe. I was going to buy a DeVille, but found that the 60 watts was hard to control the volume for smaller gigs. I mic my amp with a Shure SM57. The acoustic signal I send through a direct box directly to the soundboard. I love not having to change guitars frequently.

I remember when they came out with that I thought it was a great idea. Never had the chance to play through one. So they sound pretty good clean? Surprised they didn't offer this on a gibson... or did they?msp_confused.gif

Evol - That's badass. Do you still have your DR? I've read your comments about it..

I do still have it; mainly for home use and I am going to keep it. From what I have read you can improve the sound exponentially by upgrading the tubes (already done) and putting in a better speaker than the wet blanket Eminence (the new models have Jensens! What a bunch of fμckers). When I can free up the funds from the account gate keeper, aka my wife, I'll throw a Jensen in her. There is no rush.

I remember when they came out with that I thought it was a great idea. Never had the chance to play through one. So they sound pretty good clean? Surprised they didn't offer this on a gibson... or did they?msp_confused.gif

It amazes me how much of an acoustic sound you can get out of this thing. It definitely suffices for songs that I would normally switch to an acoustic for. I had to buy a T-Rex stereo switch so I could send the different pickups to different places described in my earlier post. I didn't want to send my acoustic channel to my pedalboard and out to my amp. When I do an all acoustic set, however, I will always grab my Takamine.

I actually have several "rigs"

1 is a Fender dual showman head I converted into a combo amp, the other is several old Sears Silvertone amps slaved together and lastly my Gibson Super Goldtone amps.

pedals include, the Browntone Hoochie mam overdrive gain pedal, Zen drive ,analog man king of tone as well as the analogman bi-chorus a stereo splitter, echoplex and buffer pedal.

My trusty VOX AC30CC2X and the VOX Tonelab are where my tone resides right now. I mostly use the custom tele or the robot les paul for gigs (mainly the tele as it's got better tone, sustain and is more confortable), for everyday class and recordings I use the tele. DiMarzio cables, dunlop Jazz III picks, custom made all leather straps and a hercules keyboard Z stand for the AC30.

I was using a senhiesser wireless but it's rackmounted and I don't care to lug that thing around, same goes for pedals and racks, all of that stuff is either for sale now or has been sold, I plan on keeping 3 pedals (if not 2) and to get one of those pedal sized whireless systems from line6 or the likes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two rigs running currently: a rig for gigging, and my home rig if for screwing around.

Stage rig:

Pedal board in to Vox Valvetronix VT50.

The live pedal board is currently:

Korg Pitchblack -> Fulltone '70 -> Crybaby -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX -> Visual Sound Jeckyll and Hyde -> Visual Sound H20 -> Fulltone Supa-Trem -> Boosta Grande

Home Rig:

Pedal board in to Jet City JCA20H with a Marshall Haze 1x12 cab I ripped the speaker out of a replaced with an Eminence Wizard.

The home pedal board tends to be in a constant state of flux with new pedals I am playing with. I always seem to have a Korg Pitchblack and Fulltone OCD on it.

Currently also on the board is a Jet City Shockwave Distortion, Pro Co "Solo" Distortion, and an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n.

I tend to use my home pedal board as an audition space for my live pedal board.

Lately I've been contemplating whether I want a new live amp or not. I sort of want to move out of modeling amps and in something more straight forward and all tube. I'm thinking it's better at this point to save a bunch so I don't feel limited by budget when choosing.

The next new addition to the family is going to be a Greenhouse Effects No Brainer. That and the OCD might replace the TS9DX and Jeckyll and Hyde on my live rig.

What can I say, I love playing with new toys and seeing what they inspire me to do with them.

I have two rigs running currently: a rig for gigging, and my home rig if for screwing around.

Stage rig:

Pedal board in to Vox Valvetronix VT50.

The live pedal board is currently:

Korg Pitchblack -> Fulltone '70 -> Crybaby -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX -> Visual Sound Jeckyll and Hyde -> Visual Sound H20 -> Fulltone Supa-Trem -> Boosta Grande

Home Rig:

Pedal board in to Jet City JCA20H with a Marshall Haze 1x12 cab I ripped the speaker out of a replaced with an Eminence Wizard.

The home pedal board tends to be in a constant state of flux with new pedals I am playing with. I always seem to have a Korg Pitchblack and Fulltone OCD on it.

Currently also on the board is a Jet City Shockwave Distortion, Pro Co "Solo" Distortion, and an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n.

I tend to use my home pedal board as an audition space for my live pedal board.

Lately I've been contemplating whether I want a new live amp or not. I sort of want to move out of modeling amps and in something more straight forward and all tube. I'm thinking it's better at this point to save a bunch so I don't feel limited by budget when choosing.

The next new addition to the family is going to be a Greenhouse Effects No Brainer. That and the OCD might replace the TS9DX and Jeckyll and Hyde on my live rig.

What can I say, I love playing with new toys and seeing what they inspire me to do with them.

Get a Mesa Triple Rec. That way, you can be the loudest on stage at all times [blink]

Serious note, there are tons of options for amps. If you like your VOX, I'd go with an AC30, great amps. Personally, I'm a Fender guy, and you can't really beat their amps, so its just personal choice

surfpup, is that pedal on the top-middle a lovepedal eternity burst?!?! ive never seen another one besides mine... its nice to know that other people have them too [thumbup] how do you like it??

what is the pedal on the top-left corner of your board?

Yes it is a LovePedal Eternity Burst and it sounds amazing - very smooth and soulful. The black pedal in the corner

is a LovePedal Dragon Fuzz. It's hairy, man! To be honest I don't use it much - not a big fuzz guy. It sounds good

with my Strats but not my Les Pauls, IMO.

I also have the LovePedal COT 50 on there as a booster. Couldn't do without it. In fact quite often, if I'm playing

a Gibson, I don't use the other gain devices at all. The COT and the 18 watt Marshall take care of business quite

well by themselves. [thumbup]

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Yes it is a LovePedal Eternity Burst and it sounds amazing - very smooth and soulful. The black pedal in the corner

is a LovePedal Dragon Fuzz. It's hairy, man! To be honest I don't use it much - not a big fuzz guy. It sounds good

with my Strats but not my Les Pauls, IMO.

I also have the LovePedal COT 50 on there as a booster. Couldn't do without it. In fact quite often, if I'm playing

a Gibson, I don't use the other gain devices at all. The COT and the 18 watt Marshall take care of business quite

well by themselves. [thumbup]

nice [thumbup] ive been wanting a COT for awhile but i cant really afford another expensive pedal being that im still in high school and dont have steady income... my next major purchase though will be a tc Polytune and a dunlop Buddy Guy wah [biggrin]

nice [thumbup] ive been wanting a COT for awhile but i cant really afford another expensive pedal being that im still in high school and dont have steady income... my next major purchase though will be a tc Polytune and a dunlop Buddy Guy wah [biggrin]

The AMP50 from the LovePedal mini series will get you pretty close to the tone of the COT.

I just sold mine for about $80 on eBay.

My rig right now is my STOCK Sg Special Faded into a 93 Peavey Prowler with the BOSS TU-3 tuner, an Ibanez Soundtank Series Tube Screamer ( probably from the 90s ), a Cry Baby, an Ibanez Paul GIlbert AF-2 Flanger, and an ORIGINAL 80s DOD stereo chorus. Still need to get a board, though. Plus, I want a Fuzzface, an MXR Phase 90, and a BOSS DD-7. I might replace the tube screamer and the AF-2 with something else, because my main sound is the guitar and the amp, and those pedals mess up my tone. God you would think that Paul Gilbert would want true bypass! The wah is great though. I hope to get a T Rex overdrive or an OCD or a Keeley od pedal. For a flanger I wanna try an MXR, or a Keeley. I'll tell ya, there is nothing like that tone straight through that amp. All because of the mods, which are an Eminence Tonespotter, and Electro Harmonix tubes. It has 6L6s, so it sounds kinda like an old Boogie. It is a 1x12 combo, with the block letter logo, like on the old 5150s. No offense, but I think it looks cooler than the regular one. Oh, as far as phasers go I am debating between the MXR and the EH Small Stone. For delays, I am thinking the DD-7, or the TC Electronic Nova. I prefer digital delay. With my amp I don't need an EQ pedal, because it has a volume boost on the footswitch. And I love the patented resonance button. Have it pushed in for tight resonane. Thats my rig.

The AMP50 from the LovePedal mini series will get you pretty close to the tone of the COT.

I just sold mine for about $80 on eBay.

alright thanks surfpup!! [thumbup]

I might replace the tube screamer and the AF-2 with something else, because my main sound is the guitar and the amp, and those pedals mess up my tone. God you would think that Paul Gilbert would want true bypass!

i bet the pedal that Paul actually has probably IS true bypass, but in the interest of saving a few extra $$ they decide not to put true bypass on the production models... i bet a lot of "signature" pedals are actually not as high-quality as the actual units the artists use, because in today's corporate world making more money is more important than the customer's satisfaction.

Archived