Gibson Brands Forums

Why the Weird "E"?

WhiteSpruce

K as some of you might have seen im depending on buying an epiphone sheraton that i won off of ebay (korean) or getting one from a local music store (chinease) im very torn but i happen to notice that when looking at the headstock on the ebay one the line in the "E" is longer than all the others i have found. below ill provide links but is there different "E's" depending on what year the guitar is?

Ebay guitar --- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&hash=item43a3a1af68&item=290508091240&nma=true&pt=Guitar&rt=nc&si=CH0tliLlSmBXXYOYpRCYaDA00po%253D#ht_500wt_1156

Google. --- http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/epiphone-sheraton-ii_3.jpg

you can see that the E's are different. any help would be great thanks.

you can see that the E's are different.

Yes, I see the difference and I can understand that you might be anxious, you bought a Fake Epi.

But I think everything is fine.

Here's a headstock of an old Sheraton with the old E:

Epiphone%20Sheraton%20II%204.JPG

On newer models the line in the middle of the E is longer to the right, as it is on my brand new Les Paul Tribute too, which I bought from Thomann, so I'm 99% shure, I didn't buy a Fake Epi.

So your Ebay shot should be an original too.

PS: Here's a headstock with the newer E, I found on Elderly.com

40U-4026_headstock-front.jpg

PPS: HERE's further one from 1991. BTW ... I also found one from 2010 with the short E line, so it's not a matter of the year of production. Also the plant image on the headstock seams to be always different.

Mmh, I think, so far we can't be absolutely shure ... maybe the serial number from the back of the headstock would help more?

he gave me the serial number BUT i havent seen it. He said this was it. R03B0896

already searched it and got:

February 2003

Peerless Plant

Korea

i cant see why he would sell a fake sheraton though he has a huge rep on ebay and has 100% positive feedback.

This is not authoritative, but in my 3+ years of perusing these forums, I have never seen a report of a counterfeit Sheraton. The fakes almost always seem to be Les Pauls, which are, of course, a much bigger seller. However, I have seen many minor differences in the same model made in different factories and/or in different years.

I have no idea whether the guitar is real or not, but one problem we keep hearing about counterfeit golf clubs is that the people in China who make the counterfeits are copying real serial numbers. Needless to say, they will make quite a few of the same serial number, but the point is, unscrupulous people making fake guitars can't be far behind.

Is there any other way, shy of sending the guitar to Gibson, to know?

the E decal on the pickguard fell off :angry:

so I stuck some glue on it ans it sits on my case now

My new Dot arrived yesterday with the E already factory uninstalled and lying loose in the box. I stuck it in a drawer full of guitar parts. I have no idea why I kept it.

My new Dot arrived yesterday with the E already factory uninstalled and lying loose in the box. I stuck it in a drawer full of guitar parts. I have no idea why I kept it.

yea the adhesive they put on it is terribad. got a case? glue it on there like I did. looks pretty good

That's how a FAKE Sheraton Headstock looks like.....

That's a bad copy as we saw it on Les Pauls too, but newest Les Paul fakes came very close to the original as was reported on the MLP forums. I remember someone reporting, that he didn't notice anything until he screwed out a pickup and saw MDF wood.

Well, something is not jiving here. The guitar looks like the John Lee Hooker Sheraton USA model that was closed out minus the JLH moniker (and sold for $1000). The headstock, logo, and mini-humbuckers all look right. The body on that model was made by Terada in Japan and shipped to Gibson for assembly & electronics. A VERY nice guitar, if that indeed is what it is. Now here's the problem. The serial number corresponds to a 2003 guitar made in Korea by Peerless. So what gives? The Peerless company would certainly be capable of making such a guitar, but if it's truly made by Peerless, the value is going to be less than a Terada made Sheraton.

That's really interesting. Have you ever run into a fake instrument that was actually as good or better than the one it tried to copy? I've heard stories about some Strats that were copied in Asia before Fender made some in Japan and how they were actually very good guitars. I've never seen one to know, just heard about it.

Have you ever run into a fake instrument that was actually as good or better than the one it tried to copy?

Yes, a Les Paul shown in the MLP forums ... the buyer didn't notice it's a fake, before he screwed out a pickup and saw the MDF wood. It even sounded very good, he reported.

Archived