Gibson Brands Forums

Then and Now - Post those old picks of "Back in the Day"

Andy R

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just guessin' here but uh...... Crue Fan? msp_thumbup.gif

Yea, I was and then they released Theater of Pain then I bacame just an OK fan [confused] I did like their next albums but I have to say after seeing them live 3 times they have dissapointed every time.

Chan...

Actually I have a cupla swords excluding what's left over from my reeeeal olden days fencing in high school. Lettered in it, too. Needless to say it was in New England, not cowboy country. <grin> One of the crazyiest days in my young life was a competition at Yale and my folks drove from Boston to watch... from a balcony.

My Japanese sword was a gift; the real thing a long time ago from a student and his father. Then there's the pretty much period correct officer's saber from 1862. "My" initial unit - actually my great grandfather's who had the same name as I - issued cavalry sabers to officers as it came into service. Later officer guards were delivered to be installed however was expedient, but the same blades were used.

Yeah, if you get the name right you'll find out "I" was born July 15, 1842, in Vermont and enlisted in the 112th Illinois in 1862. Hadda head west, eh?

m

Chan...

Actually I have a cupla swords excluding what's left over from my reeeeal olden days fencing in high school. Lettered in it, too. Needless to say it was in New England, not cowboy country. <grin> One of the crazyiest days in my young life was a competition at Yale and my folks drove from Boston to watch... from a balcony.

My Japanese sword was a gift; the real thing a long time ago from a student and his father. Then there's the pretty much period correct officer's saber from 1862. "My" initial unit - actually my great grandfather's who had the same name as I - issued cavalry sabers to officers as it came into service. Later officer guards were delivered to be installed however was expedient, but the same blades were used.

Yeah, if you get the name right you'll find out "I" was born July 15, 1842, in Vermont and enlisted in the 112th Illinois in 1862. Hadda head west, eh?

m

Man that had to be fascinating learning about... then reenacting... your great grandfather! Probably a bit surreal as well...

We do some period rapier and fencing... just now starting to do some cut and thrust with blunted steel, but most of it requires that we pull our shots. I think that's what draws me to rattan combat. It's full speed. I'd love to see pics of your swords if you ever have a chance to snap a few. My youngest has started a collection of oriental weaponry... most notably a reverse edge katana and a naginata.

Cool stuff sir!

Thanks Cabba. The bottom one is still a work in progress... I need a mail shirt still yet and a different hilt on the sword... but it was good enough for the head of a living history type organization to ask if he could use my picture as an example of what a proper Viking kit should look like :).

Chan...

The real style taught in fencing "schools" in the old days was far different from modern sport fencing even as modern "Asian" martial arts schools tend to teach "sport" and "fitness." There was resistance from the old "self defense" school folks as the shift began to be a rough game for "gentleman" even in duels as compared to the nastier "I'll stab your forearm first, then your eyeball, grab your sword hand and break your back before I finish yah" defense concept more appropriate to the battlefield or similar nasty circumstances.

Just sayin'. <grin> (Read Musashi for truth, east or west.)

Actually the "persona" I work for 1865 through '77 is a combination of myself and Milod I; I combine a real captain's horse wreck with a recovery trip into Washington City, meeting Randolph Marcy and getting to be friends with one of the most knowledgeable soldiers of the day in some ways and one of the most influential men that Americans today have never heard of. Look up his bio - and his famed book. <grin>

Anyway, since my 112th Illinois had been mounted and dismounted twice, and Marcy saw new technology was changing old concepts of infantry and cavalry, and I was a writer who understood the changes. He took me on to research and report on the newer concepts as they were applied in the West. I watched as Fetterman took his soldiers out of sight of Ft. Phil Kearny, D.T., and into their graves in '67. I thank my stars I was there to document and write, not to lead unless in extremes... which appeared possible as the winter of '67 turned into '68. <bigger grin>

By the way, yeah, naginata was pretty useful, but ended up mostly be a women's martial art in Japan modeling as a rather idealized samurai lady's home (castle) defense weapon. I've seen some of the kata that are... interesting.

BTW, ever read McClellan's manual on bayonet fencing? Yeah, that George McClellan. <grin>

m

Holy Crap!

Well, I was looking for an early snap that I know I have somewhere (I'm still looking) and I came across this well dressed guy...lol!

Taken by a bandmate as we were just packing up to go to our very first gig, (I think).

Stylist? Who needs a Stylist? LOL!

We were all as nervous as HeII. The photo's blurred; probably because Snowy's hands (Lead vocal/Rhythm) were shaking so much he couldn't hold the camera still. OK... Actually, it was me that was shaking....

I know it must be from early 1980 as I had the Strat re-finished in it's original colour of Lake Placid Blue that summer.

MeandStrat1980.jpg

I'll still try to find the other one so you can see my long girly hair.

Me a few years ago, when I still had my Epi. I think it's the most recent one I have with me and a guitar.

MeandEpi.jpg

P.

Wow Milo!

You've got your persona nailed!!

So... Musashi... two swords, or equally skilled with both hands?

There seems to be some debate on what his writings refer to... some say that he fought florentine, others that he merely meant one should be equally skilled with either hand...

I'd be interested your thoughts....

(and Ima skip telling my son that his cool pole arm is a woman's weapon yahoo_rotfl.gif )

Chan...

The Naginata depends on era... but... <grin>

Anyway, yeah, I've done a little work on the persona for a first person. I do wish I'd met Marcy, btw. I easily can see why his daughter liked McClellan a lot - in ways he was much like her father. Marcy was better placed to best use his skills, IMHO; McClellan probably should have been put in charge of training.

Anyway...

The important thing with Musashi is that the goal is a strike on target. Period. Yeah, you should do this, should do that, etc... but the bottom line is... strike on target. Others postured, he struck.

Also, figure it takes roughly 2/5 of a second to perceive an attack, 2/5 to respond. If you perceive body movement and "feel" potential weight shifts of an opponent before an attack is begun, success percentages increase significantly. That's likely also how O-sensei Ushiba made a lot of things "work." Watch an Aiki adept. If you consider development time and weight shifts of an opponent, there are only so many directions he/she can move. Strike like flowing water into a cup without thought; there is no defense; the opponent cannot succeed.

I'll never forget a Hungarian refugee fencer who did that to me when I thought I was a pretty decent foil fencer as a high school senior. He even lost tendons in his fencing wrist to shrapnel in the Hungarian '50s attempted revolution. I may as well have simply stood to let him do the touch because he sensed movement potentials and responded.

EDIT: BTW, this "sense movement" thing also is part of guitar playing in an ensemble where there is significant improv, IMHO. Where will your fellow bandmate go; don't anticipate, don't respond; sense movement and flow into it.

m

Aye, Milo.

My Knight's Knight has mastered flow to the point where he can move in one direction and strike from the opposite side. He is a wonder to behold in armour. I've always relied on quickness, superior endurance and brute force.

As I've aged, I notice I still have brute force <g>

I admit there is still much about combat that remains hidden to me, like the subtle movements you mention. I understand that, from a given position, there are only so many strikes one can successfully execute, but there is so much to consider whilst in the "thick of it" :).

Oh, and sorry for the thread derail, but, in my defense I am a swordplay junkie, and Milo is a fairly learned scholar :D.

Archived