Gibson Brands Forums

why an Gibson SG is better then any other

Linde

kk im in an argument with some kid and im about to kick him in the teeth about why my Gibson SG is better then any fender he can ever own.

helpme shut him down.

obviously i said it was a gibson to shut himup but it wont happen. lol thx!

show your SG pride!

It all comes down to subjective personal taste, really...I've owned 70+ guitars in my lifetime, some Fenders in there that weren't bad at all, but I always end up coming back to my core guitars which are always Gibsons. They have some sort of mojo about them for me...I admit I do like what Fender's been doing with the affordable Blacktop series (especially the $450 Jaguar) and I think Gibson could take some pointers from them in that department (i.e. concentrating on more decent guitars that working stiffs can afford, some of the faded series are nice but some more finish options and variations would be awesome.) And despite some of the recent hideous techno-garbage and Disney signature models, Gibson's got my loyalty. And I always prefer set necks and humbuckers, except for the occasional P-90.

I don't think one is better than the other. I think it is just a matter of preference for features, tone, and looks.

I think the only feasable argument you could have would be which company has has better craftsmanship. But that would be tough to resolve too.

I have played and owned mainly strats and SG's for the last ~22 years as a guitarist and I love them both, though they are totally different.

Dude, grow up ( as a musician too )! Gibson's and Fender's are both awesome guitars! They each do different things better. Yes, a real SG Standard would be more desireable than a Squier. I have been playing well over 20 years, and own Fender's and Gibson's. I have grown past being a fanboy. No one has a good, well rounded electric guitar collection unless they have a Les Paul, a Stratocaster, an SG and a Telecaster. These 4 guitars shaped rock music more than all the rest, and to accurately recreate these tones, you need all 4. Although I prefer my Gibsons when I need to play really crunchy stuff, I prefer my Strat when I choose to play clean, bluesy tones. Also remember that although your guitar may suit your music style and taste better than your friends', his guitar may suit his needs better than your guitar would. Your taste in music isn't the only one that counts. Besides, one guitar is never enough, I don't care how awesome your SG is.

Gibson SGs are better because you can play anything...and I mean anything. From Jazz to Metal. Oh, and not to mention their bad@$$ look [flapper] I have played both my SG and a friend's Fender and I must say that although Fenders are great guitars they just don't measure up to Gibson...specially SGs --But again, at the end it depends on what type of music you are willing to play and on your taste (styles, etc). Oh, and a quick tip...don't take these kind of arguments to seriously, I used to and I know that they can be a real pain in the (insert place here)... accepting others' opinions will help anyone grow as a musician [thumbup]

I own a variety of guitars and all i can say is.. there is no right or wrong or better.. only different. I have both a gibson SG special and fender telecaster in my collection and they are different animals.. you cant really compare them side by side.

I have a Gibson and a Fender, I like the SG because of its light weight. Its great for any style of music. The Fender is what I use for Jazz Band at school, but why are we arguing who is best? Each company has become a well respected manufacturer of instruments. They both have strong and weak points.

my first guitar was an american strat, a real beauty in gloss black, with maple neck and pearl pickguard. i soon found the sound very limiting to my style so i looked for something with humbuckers. i fell in love with the SG and suddenly my strat was ugly. today i still find the strat 'unusable' (and ugly) but that's just me.

5289038248_20b92fcc30_b.jpg

hhmmmmm....variety is what I would say too, just like many others. My brothers' band certainly likes their Gibsons and they sound pretty amazing! My brother is in the white shirt using his Gibson Les Paul studio and the other guitar player is using a Gibson SG, not sure which particular model, maybe the standard?

Archived