Gibson Brands Forums

I had a GREAT playing experience today.

Shnate McDuanus

I've got an anecdote for ya. Pulled my guitar out this afternoon and played. Found that I really, really liked the sounds I was getting out of the guitar and amp--I thought "Hmm! It's kind of a Ritchie Blackmore-crossed-with-Ace Frehley kinda thing with a touch of Ted Nugent and a hint of, I don't know, maybe some Johnny Winter?" Strangely enough, the knobs were all set the same way as they had been the night before, and I hadn't liked the sound as much yesterday as I did today. Dad walked by and said "hey man, it sounds good!" I rolled with it--I played for hours, loving every second, relishing every lick that came out of my fingers and flowed through the amp, experiencing a joy in playing that I had not experienced in such a long time, if ever. The bizarre thing is that, later, I tried playing it unplugged and, what do you know, the basic, essential sound of my playing maintained its integrity even without the amp on. Switched to an acoustic and got the same results. Whether I was playing through the Marshall MG10KK (which is the solid-state Kerry King signature practice amp that ran me about sixty bucks, sounded lousy when I got it, and had given me nothing but trouble for the longest time) or with nothing but wood and air, I just played and played and I really thought I sounded great. Today while I sat with this guitar in my hands I realized that I was finally getting it. Chords sounded full, rich and clear, and my lead licks sounded the way I had always wanted them to--and all without any fancy piece of gear or special processing equipment! I mean this from the perspective of phrasing, yes, and of rhythm, but interestingly enough I also mean it in regards to tone.

Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have sounded better had I been playing through Rory Gallagher's AC30 on Clapton's 1960 Les Paul, with twenty different boutique fuzzes organized by how Jimi-ish they sound, a buncha dirt-boxes from various makers, python boots, a diamond-studded codpiece that fires rockets and a wah-wah pedal that runs on the hopes and dreams of orphans, and I'm not saying that I'm some incredible hybrid between Ritchie Blackmore, Ace Frehley, Ted Nugent and Johnny Winter, but I'm just saying that I'm extremely proud of having finally found bliss through my playing. There's room for improvement (I still need to get faster, my vibrato could use a bit of work, and there are still a lot of things I don't know about playing,) but I'm at the point in my life where I could step into a room with another guitarist and jam without any hesitation or any fear of being looked at as inferior. I'm at a point where my feel is where I want it to be, my licks mostly sound cool, and I think I can really call myself a guitarist. I'm encouraged and ready to take on musical challenges that months ago I wouldn't have even considered facing up to.

I had a great day yesterday too. I'm figuring out that owning 46 guitars doesn't help and in fact probably makes my playing suck even more. Good playing days are exceedingly rare but yesterday I sat on the edge of the bed with the same Tele I've had for 32 years, not even plugged into an amp, just feeding off the plank vibe. I was all over that thing like an angry tomcat. I wasn't thinking about fret work or string brand or pickup windings or collector value or smudging the finish, I was just strangling every note out of it like it was going to be its (or my) last.

I need to look at my priorities. Do I want a room full of dusty cases or do I want to play?

Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have sounded better had I been playing through Rory Gallagher's AC30 on Clapton's 1960 Les Paul, with twenty different boutique fuzzes organized by how Jimi-ish they sound, a buncha dirt-boxes from various makers, python boots, a diamond-studded codpiece that fires rockets and a wah-wah pedal that runs on the hopes and dreams of orphans,

[lol]

You'd be surprised at how FEW effects, and how LITTLE distortion most really classic good tone has.

The light has turned on, Grasshopper.

Go toward the light.......

Good on ya!

I know exactly what you're talking about, it happened to me some five-six months ago as well. Now I feel like I can really hold my own when playing with others and actually inspire other people whilst playing with them, which is great :)

I think it coincided with my band starting to record songs in the studio, it was a really rewarding experience. The whole band has become a lot more proficient since then too, now we can go into 40 min jams (only in rehearsals though, wouldn't want to bore people live :P) and know exactly what each of us is thinking and where we're going.

I've mentioned it before about players a lot of times make it more difficult for themselves than it really is. It took me a while to realize I was complicating my playing. Glad you had an awakening. It's all worth it. [thumbup]

Congrats on the awakening. I am 57 and have had many of the same moments in my years.

Started taking lessons this year so that someone would force me to practice something different so that I could further advance in my playing skills.

I found it easy to get stuck in a rut playing the same old things and not stretching myself enough.

Keep on playing it never gets old. I think it may be like someone else said, a little "Christmas Magic" going on, enjoy it.

That's awesome man. I too know that feeling. Everything just clicks and you're hearing things and playing them at the same time and seems like you can't play a bad note. Unfortunately these days don't come to me as often as I wish. When they do I will play until I can't play anymore. It's the best feeling ever. I hope this is a continuous string of days like this for you forever. As others said if not just remember that they happen and wait for the next time.

Rock on dude!

Andy

Archived