Gibson Brands Forums

NAD - Egnater Renegade

badbluesplayer

New amp yesterday. MF sent it by truck (ABF Freight) from Kansas City to here in east TN. What's up with that?

I'll spare y'all the ameteur review other than to say that the tube mix thing - where you can dial in the 6L6's or the EL34's - is really cool.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

With my homemade black and tan speaker cabs:

DSC_0003.jpg

Groovy high angle shot:

DSC_0008.jpg

I use the garage door as a treble booster!! :unsure:

[tongue]

I played one of those in a music store recently, it was great, didn't have it loud enough for the tube mix to really make a difference though.

I love mine.......One of the best amps ever...Kimbabig, the tube mix is more suble than one would expect, even at higher volumes; but there is a definitive difference when using the 6L6s vs the EL34s in conjunction with all of the switches and knobs etc.....................

How much gain is on tap? I was pretty disappointed with the Egnater Tweaker, and returned it for a Vox Night-Train stack..Really dark sounding and would get pretty muddy if you turned the gain past 2 o clock...the only usable setting IMO was the AC setting and thought the Brit and American settings were horrid..It also didnt handle distortion or modulation pedal's to well for me either..BUT I have heard some great things about the Renegade and am willing to give Egnater another try..Would love to hear a sound-clip! Good luck and hope it sounds as killer as it looks.. [thumbup]

How much gain is on tap? I was pretty disappointed with the Egnater Tweaker, and returned it for a Vox Night-Train stack..Really dark sounding and would get pretty muddy if you turned the gain past 2 o clock...the only usable setting IMO was the AC setting and thought the Brit and American settings were horrid..It also didnt handle distortion or modulation pedal's to well for me either..BUT I have heard some great things about the Renegade and am willing to give Egnater another try..Would love to hear a sound-clip! Good luck and hope it sounds as killer as it looks.. [thumbup]

I like the Tweaker head, but more for recording.....The Renagade is a total tone monster; and yes, it has lots of gain on tap, and it plays well with every pedal I've used with it...I also have their Tourmaster Head and cab, which is a different beast of it's own....I don't currently use it because I've got the Renagade........65 / 18 watt switch, etc, so many knobs, all usuable...Plays great loud and plays great at LOW volumes as well.......

I love 6L6s, I have heard that the Egnater amps are great, never really had much of a chance to play them

Nathan, you are always in search of tone, tone, tone....And you are a young player....Egnaters aren't cheap, but are affordable when compared to ' boutique ' tube amps...I think you mentioned you tried out '65' amps; sweet amps, a bit spendy though.....The Renagade is VERY versitile in tone control...just a thought...

BadBluesPlayer, congrats !!!!! Enjoy !!!!! I also love your geetar playin'.......

Nathan, you are always in search of tone, tone, tone....And you are a young player....Egnaters aren't cheap, but are affordable when compared to ' boutique ' tube amps...I think you mentioned you tried out '65' amps; sweet amps, a bit spendy though.....The Renagade is VERY versitile in tone control...just a thought...

BadBluesPlayer, congrats !!!!! Enjoy !!!!! I also love your geetar playin'.......

For right now, I'm pretty happy with my Sunn, but looking for a smaller amp. The new series from 65 Amps should be fairly affordable losing many of the aesthetics that they usually have to reduce cost. I like 6L6 and am not a huge fan of the EL34s... If anything, I might look for a small amp, maybe a Deluxe Reverb. I think I'm pretty heart set on Fenders for now or boutique versions of Fender amps. I'm happy with the gear I have though (for now)

I also have a Rebel 20 and I just sold a Tweaker. Here's the thing with those amps. The Tweaker has 6V6 power tubes, and it does a great job sounding like a 6V6 amp. But when you start changing all the switches and knobs to make it try to sound like a "british" amp, it starts to lose it's sparkle and the dynamics are lost. It seems to do the Fender sound really well, to my ear, but it really didn't do the British thing very well.

The Rebel 20, on the other hand, has both 6V6's and EL84's and it does a great job at making both types of sounds. The amp isn't doing a lot of massaging the signal to make it sound one way or the other. There's much more pure transparent sound coming from the Rebel. It is a killer little 20 watt amp - more like 30 watts when you dial in both sets of tubes. Way louder than the Tweaker.

The Renegade is similar to the Rebel in that it has two sets of power tubes and you can dial in the mix between the two sets of tubes. I like that.

When you play it for a while, can you tell me how do you find the articulation of the amp on a classic rock type gain level?

I read somewhere that someone found that a Marshall had better articulation on the classic rock type gain.

When you play it for a while, can you tell me how do you find the articulation of the amp on a classic rock type gain level?

I read somewhere that someone found that a Marshall had better articulation on the classic rock type gain.

But weren't Marshalls used for the classic rock type gain? [lol]

But weren't Marshalls used for the classic rock type gain? [lol]

:-k :o :)

Yup. But for the type of rig I am trying to put together, having an amp that can use two different types of power tubes, and mix them anyway, and have an effects loop and reverb, is the ultimate for versatility.

Besides, the Marshall plexis are outa my price range. But the Renegade fits in perfectly.

:-k :o :)

Yup. But for the type of rig I am trying to put together, having an amp that can use two different types of power tubes, and mix them anyway, and have an effects loop and reverb, is the ultimate for versatility.

Besides, the Marshall plexis are outa my price range. But the Renegade fits in perfectly.

Well if it fits the sound, then yeah. But that was in response to people saying that Egnaters do the Marshall sound better than Marshalls...

I hear you. I just hate master volume amps, it has a different sound than one without it, to me at least. I have almost stopped using the 2nd channel on my Sunn because it is pretty compressed... damn you compression

And yeah, Fenders have a good clean sound, but I like em rude and cranked! I might look at a Super Reverb for super cleans [biggrin]

Well if it fits the sound, then yeah. But that was in response to people saying that Egnaters do the Marshall sound better than Marshalls...

I hear you. I just hate master volume amps, it has a different sound than one without it, to me at least. I have almost stopped using the 2nd channel on my Sunn because it is pretty compressed... damn you compression

And yeah, Fenders have a good clean sound, but I like em rude and cranked! I might look at a Super Reverb for super cleans [biggrin]

I meant fits in the price,....lol

I was considering the Ceriatone HRM Dumble clone, but this is a lot more versatile for the same price.

I meant fits in the price,....lol

I was considering the Ceriatone HRM Dumble clone, but this is a lot more versatile for the same price.

Yeah, I got you on that. I want someone to make a 2 channel amp, 50 watts, one side would be a silverface, the other a tweed and be mixable so you can run both channels at the same time... in a perfect world

Yeah, I got you on that. I want someone to make a 2 channel amp, 50 watts, one side would be a silverface, the other a tweed and be mixable so you can run both channels at the same time... in a perfect world

Why not give it a whack yourself?

Jim Marshall started making amps by modding a Bassman circuit.

In a perfect world, the amps would be free!

I hardly trust myself to wire my own pickups back up... I'm hoping to find an amp maker that can do that. I should try to talking to the guy at Phaez amps to see if he will or if he knows anyone that will. To me, that would be the perfect amp, throw in a switch that knocks it down to like 15 watts, and I would be in heaven

I hardly trust myself to wire my own pickups back up... I'm hoping to find an amp maker that can do that. I should try to talking to the guy at Phaez amps to see if he will or if he knows anyone that will. To me, that would be the perfect amp, throw in a switch that knocks it down to like 15 watts, and I would be in heaven

Archived