Gibson Brands Forums

Hey All........

Buc McMaster

Happy New Year to all! Yes, I have been AWOL for a time......holidays and all tend to interrupt things. I must confess I have not touched my guitar for a couple months now. My days of being consumed with all things guitar are long gone....playing has become one of those things that just doesn't occur to me anymore. Got a message from OWF. Thanks for your compliment but, no, I am not a draftsman or anything like that.....perhaps I should have been. (I was surprised to see that old bridge physics thread dragged up again!)

For now, I am dealing with an old back injury that makes it nearly impossible to walk, and most evenings I am drugged heavily and not much good for anything, let alone guitar playing. It's nothing new and the crippling effects will pass in time. When it does, my plans are to spend most of my time making repairs to a small fishing boat that I designed and built many years ago. I gave it to my young nephew some six or seven years ago and he graciously returned it to me over the holidays. He made little or no use of it, not being a fisherman, and it sat outdoors though several nasty winters. I was more than proud to see that even at that there are only a few areas of cosmetic deterioration that can be easily repaired with the right tools and some elbow grease. My first love is fishing, has been since I was a little boy, and this boat will allow me to pursue the wily black bass once again. The boat was a labor of design. I spent the better part of a year and thousands of dollars (I was single then!) building the consumate one-man bass chaser and it is truly one-of-a-kind in the world. While I have never had any formal training, one of my passions is designing mechanical systems, solving problems and making something efficiently functional. I enjoy a "project" in my life......something to sink my teeth into and grind the mental gears on. This little boat is one of two I have done over the years and I am beside myself to have this one back.

So I don't expect I'll post so much here any longer......my interests lie elsewhere. I'll peek in from time to time, but not being much involved with guitar anymore I don't reckon I'll have much to contribute. So a very Happy New Year to you all.....I have enjoyed the info shared and the banter exchanged very much! Y'all keep on rockin' in the new year!

Great to hear things are well Buc, you have been missed here you ol' bugger !

Really glad you replied and i hope you will have time to peek here now and then, there have been a couple great CJ-165 threads recently.

Thanks for letting your friends know that things are ok, we were worried about you. Trust the back injury will heal and you'll be back in the saddle sooner rather than later.

Look after yourself Buc.

cheers.

Happy New Year to all! Yes, I have been AWOL for a time......holidays and all tend to interrupt things. I must confess I have not touched my guitar for a couple months now. My days of being consumed with all things guitar are long gone....playing has become one of those things that just doesn't occur to me anymore. Got a message from OWF. Thanks for your compliment but, no, I am not a draftsman or anything like that.....perhaps I should have been. (I was surprised to see that old bridge physics thread dragged up again!)

For now, I am dealing with an old back injury that makes it nearly impossible to walk, and most evenings I am drugged heavily and not much good for anything, let alone guitar playing. It's nothing new and the crippling effects will pass in time. When it does, my plans are to spend most of my time making repairs to a small fishing boat that I designed and built many years ago. I gave it to my young nephew some six or seven years ago and he graciously returned it to me over the holidays. He made little or no use of it, not being a fisherman, and it sat outdoors though several nasty winters. I was more than proud to see that even at that there are only a few areas of cosmetic deterioration that can be easily repaired with the right tools and some elbow grease. My first love is fishing, has been since I was a little boy, and this boat will allow me to pursue the wily black bass once again. The boat was a labor of design. I spent the better part of a year and thousands of dollars (I was single then!) building the consumate one-man bass chaser and it is truly one-of-a-kind in the world. While I have never had any formal training, one of my passions is designing mechanical systems, solving problems and making something efficiently functional. I enjoy a "project" in my life......something to sink my teeth into and grind the mental gears on. This little boat is one of two I have done over the years and I am beside myself to have this one back.

So I don't expect I'll post so much here any longer......my interests lie elsewhere. I'll peek in from time to time, but not being much involved with guitar anymore I don't reckon I'll have much to contribute. So a very Happy New Year to you all.....I have enjoyed the info shared and the banter exchanged very much! Y'all keep on rockin' in the new year!

Hey Buc,

Thanks for checking in. Sounds like you're moving beyond our little place here on the Gibby forums. Your contributions and participation will be missed.

I thank you for the help you gave to me over the last couple years. I always admired the gracious way you shared your knowledge, talent and experience.

I wish you well, and good luck on your boat project.

Bon voyage. B)

Sorry to hear about your injury and discomfort. Ever out by Marble Falls I know some pretty good bass spots on Lake LBJ, as well as some unreal flyfishing on the Blanco,Guadaloupe and Comal Rivers. I have known several very good retired guitar players and singers that refound thier passion after a period of time.

Take Care!

Thanks for *checking in* Buc. We were wondering about you.

I'm glad to hear you've found a new passion. After all, it's those passions that give our lives quality. It's interesting how your passions cover both the technical and the artistic end of things. I have this sneaky suspicion you might pick up the guitar again some day. Until then, have fun! and thanks for all you brought to this forum

Archived