Gibson Brands Forums

New tubes

djroge1

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeerippes!!!!!!! msp_scared.gif More like Tele****en. I'm sorry but I bet 9 out of 10 A holes that pay that much for a pre-amp tube couldn't tell the diff between it and a JJ. Ridiculous!

Meh, I have two old Telefunkens. They were in one of my old Princetons. They sound

good, but not really that different than any decent, current production 12AX7 in

most of my amps. I think I notice the most difference with them in the V1 or V2

position in a vintage Fender amp.

Don't waste money on buying matched pairs. You need matched pairs for HiFi. You don't need them for guitar amps where you want some distortion and breakup.

Matched pairs and quartets are important for power tubes, not preamp tubes.

Matched pairs and quartets are important for power tubes, not preamp tubes.

not only is that true, but you can also mix 83's & 82's (lower gain tube) to custom tailor your tone....

I inherited a 105w amp with 4 ecc83's (12ax7's) and 2 ecc82's in the preamp bank.

at 1st I thought they were separated for the different channels, but further inspection revealed that each channel was firing 2x83's & 1x82 (with 4x 6L6gc's in the power end).

This setup worked for about 12 yrs. with no problems.

not only is that true, but you can also mix 83's & 82's (lower gain tube) to custom tailor your tone....

I inherited a 105w amp with 4 ecc83's (12ax7's) and 2 ecc82's in the preamp bank.

at 1st I thought they were separated for the different channels, but further inspection revealed that each channel was firing 2x83's & 1x82 (with 4x 6L6gc's in the power end).

This setup worked for about 12 yrs. with no problems.

True, The concept of matched power tubes tubes is that in a class A/B amp that is push/pull matched sets will be a bit more harmonically similar to each other and "Musical" . If you have one tube that is reaching it's optimal clipping point before the other then in theory you could get an out of balance effect that can effect the dynamic frequency range and sustain. I think they have to be quite a bit different to have a truly noticeable affect. To me it would be more about being able to better match plate voltage so you don't have one tube running hotter ( or colder depending on how you look at it) than the other. This can be overcome by setting up a dual adjustable bias ( at least for a 50 watt ). This way you can Bias each tube individually instead of trying to compensate between the two. I have been thinking about trying this.

Andy

Correct, and don't forget the 5751! A great way to slightly drop preamp gain.

Here's an illustration/list you can use in your tube swapping adventures...

The percentage equals approximate amount of gain in relation to a 12AX7

12AX7 = 100%

5751 = 70%

12AT7 = 60%

12AU7 = 20%

There are others too. Here's a cool link

Correct, and don't forget the 5751! A great way to slightly drop preamp gain.

Here's an illustration/list you can use in your tube swapping adventures...

The percentage equals approximate amount of gain in relation to a 12AX7

12AX7 = 100%

5751 = 70%

12AT7 = 60%

12AU7 = 20%

There are others too. Here's a cool link

I was playing around with this too about a year ago. Pretty interesting! Thanks for the link!

Archived