Gibson Brands Forums

Cry Baby Crackling

LPguitarman

Hey guys and gals, My Cry Baby Wah makes a crackling static noise when I move the pedal up and down. The wah still works but the noise in annoying and can be heard through the amp. Also, sometimes the signal goes dead when I press on the pedal but after I switch it off and on a couple times, it works fine (but still the noise).

Is there something inside that could maybe be cleaned? Something electronic maybe? I'd rather buy a new pedal than rework any electronics, but if it's a simple cleaning I'll go that route. This is an old pedal, before they even came out with the AC adapter for it. My AC is a makeshift battery connection type that I had to drill a hole in the housing to get the wire to the battery connection.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

A couple of things here. First, the mechanical function of a Cry Baby does nothing more than spin a potentiometer connected to a "tone" circuit. So cleaning the pot with "cleaner/lubricant" is the same procedure as with any pot.

The intermittent switch could just be a cleaning, spray some cleaner in it while your cleaning the pot, OR, your may need to adjust the switch "up" a little bit. There is a clinch nut underneath it, and a jam nut on top. Loosen the top nut, spin the bottom nut half a turn, re-tighten the top nut and give her a try. What happens is the rubber spacer between the pedal and the case gets hard and doesn't allow the pedal to travel downward all the way to engage the switch, adjusting the switch will solve this problem.

Third, Dunlop makes (or did make, $10) an A/C conversion circuit board for the Cry Baby. Drill a hole for the power jack, solder a couple of wire and the circuit board mounts to the existing stud that holds the regular circuit board in place. You can now use any standard 9v wall wart adapter.

Hey guys and gals, My Cry Baby Wah makes a crackling static noise when I move the pedal up and down. The wah still works but the noise in annoying and can be heard through the amp. Also, sometimes the signal goes dead when I press on the pedal but after I switch it off and on a couple times, it works fine (but still the noise).

Is there something inside that could maybe be cleaned? Something electronic maybe? I'd rather buy a new pedal than rework any electronics, but if it's a simple cleaning I'll go that route. This is an old pedal, before they even came out with the AC adapter for it. My AC is a makeshift battery connection type that I had to drill a hole in the housing to get the wire to the battery connection.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

that's nothing mate, my morley wah picks up the local pirate radio stations [blink]

Archived