Gibson Brands Forums

Do Brits Hit "shift" 4 ?

Murph

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since 1698, the British pub pint has been 568 milliliters, and this was the law...This will soon change to allow pubs to serve 400 millileter pints;

So, will the price stay the same?

Do they sell gas by the pint.

Back when I drank beer, I drank it by the gallon.........

[thumbup]

So, will the price stay the same?

Do they sell gas by the pint.

Back when I drank beer, I drank it by the gallon.........

[thumbup]

I'd hope they lower the price but what they're doing is increasing the VAT on alcohol bought from shops to entice people to go back to the pub instead.

By gas I take it you mean petrol or diesel? No they dont sell it by pint but instead by litre. In germany I drink beer by the gallon, much more enjoyable rather than by pint.

There is also the use of the word 'f a g' in the English public school system

Where a junior 'lad' would be assigned to a more senior boy to act as 'butler','shoe polisher' etc

Designed to engender respect for older and wiser boys and encourage mentoring for the junior boy in return

Also not entirely unconnected is the term 'fagged out' meaning 'tired out'

And lest we forget that Midlands UK delicacy 'faggots', which are cheap and cheerful meatballs often served with peas

To create that legendary gourmet delight....Faggots'n Peas....

V :-({|=

...so.. next time someone says there off to smoke a ***.. are they having a ciggie or shooting a poofter?...

The two are not mutually exclusive (Though I would strongly recommend people did neither).

P.

Google ASCII code, it is a limited list of icons and includes all the letters and numbers in you standard English keyboard as well.

You can get useful stuff like the degree symbol with ALT 248 = ° or the +/- symbol ± ALT 241

A lot of them can be found with the option key if you have a Mac. Option K for example for the ˚ (degree symbol).

Opton Z gives you the Ω (ohm symbol) which is quite handy for guitar players. And you can copyright your stuff

with option G ©

And lest we forget that Midlands UK delicacy 'faggots', which are cheap and cheerful meatballs often served with peas

To create that legendary gourmet delight....Faggots'n Peas....

V :-({|=

I'll pass on that but I do like your meat pies. You guys stuff everything in pie dough, it's awesome!

I also like Bangers and Mash. There is a store near me called "A Taste of England" run by an English family

(why they moved here to Georgia is beyond me) and they import all the good stuff. I have grown fond of currents and clotted cream on scones.

Still, tea is meant to be COLD and SWEET, but at least your food is good. [biggrin]

I'll pass on that but I do like your meat pies. You guys stuff everything in pie dough, it's awesome!

I also like Bangers and Mash. There is a store near me called "A Taste of England" run by an English family

(why they moved here to Georgia is beyond me) and they import all the good stuff. I have grown fond of currents and clotted cream on scones.

Still, tea is meant to be COLD and SWEET, but at least your food is good. [biggrin]

I hate most English food. I live off Italian and Mexican meals LOL

The £ is on the 3 and the $ is on the 4 on a standard British layout keyboard.

Interesting... the #, which Americans call "pound" and Brits call "hash" is on our 3. So we both have "pound" symbols on our 3.

Cabba...

For what it's worth, I've had pizza in Korea... burgers and fries...

I think we're in an increasing world culture, and food seems to be among the first things to make it across national lines.

Within a generation of its "discovery" in South America, the potato made it via relatively primitive sailing ships into Japan and Korea, for example.

Kinda like "Chinese" food in the U.S.; Most of the "Mexican" food where I live is more "tex mex" stuff; some Mexican friends who lived on a coastal area said they'd never seen that kinda stuff until they moved to the U.S....

Even in the U.S., there are some pretty major regional differences, but I've seen a lotta that decrease in importance compared to national "chain restaurant" food. Yuck.

m

Cabba...

For what it's worth, I've had pizza in Korea... burgers and fries...

I think we're in an increasing world culture, and food seems to be among the first things to make it across national lines.

Within a generation of its "discovery" in South America, the potato made it via relatively primitive sailing ships into Japan and Korea, for example.

Kinda like "Chinese" food in the U.S.; Most of the "Mexican" food where I live is more "tex mex" stuff; some Mexican friends who lived on a coastal area said they'd never seen that kinda stuff until they moved to the U.S....

Even in the U.S., there are some pretty major regional differences, but I've seen a lotta that decrease in importance compared to national "chain restaurant" food. Yuck.

m

LOL, milod I was being facetious. [laugh]

I love Mexican food! It's my overly biased opinion that it's only at its best when made by real Mexicans.

Tex-Mex is good too, but there is usually some Mexicans in the kitchen as well.

So where can I find table that has all of these symbols?

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map

Click on the character you want and you can copy and paste it into your document. MOST times this works. Also, after clicking on your selected character, read the lower right corner. It will tell you the proper keystrokes to invoke your desired character without having to open up Character Map. For instance,

® reads "Keystroke: Alt+0174". So, while holding the Alt button down, key in 0174. Make sure you use all four digits. You can memorize the ones you use most often.

Not all font sets have all the special characters. If you don't see what you want, check out a different font set. I have become fond of the Opus font sets, there are 3 of them. These give you music notation characters. At one up grade of MicroSquish, this font set, and others, disappeared. I had to go to my old computer, copy the requisite files to my new computer. It takes a little bit of sleuthing to find the character sets, but they are there. Just store the character sets' files in the same directory as your new computer's font sets reside. At every upgrade I have to rescue these font sets if I want to continue using them.

Years ago, I figured out you could go into a keyboard set-up and use pre-assigned keyboard maps for different countries, you could also customize your keyboard to invoke different ASCII characters. I had mapped the German u with the umlaut (ü) to Alt+u. I haven't had need of it in years and do not know if it is still doable.

m

My family originates from the Gujarat in India where its pretty much only vegitarian food. The potato is used a lot in traditional cooking from there.

It does annoy me however when people presume that what they get in an Indian resteraunt is actually authentic Indian, because its not. The food varies a lot depending on which part you're in, and the stuff in reseteraunts is normally made my bangaladeshi's or pakistani's.

You have Mexicans in England?

We have great Mexican places here, awesome food, but Georgia is big on landscaping.

I did not know they migrated to your island. [laugh]

uh... yeah msp_biggrin.gif (sorry - I am trying to say it like one of the teenagers I teach in particular; when I ask something that they think should be glaringly obvious to me I get 'uh..yeah'!! LMAO)

Yes, like many modern countries, Britten has become so multi cultural, especially London, that there is no such thing as definitive British person anymore (well, if there was anyway). There are a lot of people from Indian, China, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Nigeria, France, Germany, Spain etc etc.

So yes, loads of 'foreign' restaurants - Indian food followed perhaps by Chinese and Italian food are the most popular restaurant wise. But yes lots of Mexican's and Tapas bars too.

I wanted to tell this to some people in a thread in the Acoustic lounge (about Brits), that may be a little out of touch with English people all going to the theatre, the dress code being people wearing grey clothing...and that strangely enough people don't speak like they are out of a Shakepseare play, like one of the guys said LMAO!!

I decided to not be so mean in the end and be **** Van Dyke to Albert John's David Nivenmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif You have to have some fun right?

Matt

My family originates from the Gujarat in India where its pretty much only vegitarian food. The potato is used a lot in traditional cooking from there.

It does annoy me however when people presume that what they get in an Indian resteraunt is actually authentic Indian, because its not. The food varies a lot depending on which part you're in, and the stuff in reseteraunts is normally made my bangaladeshi's or pakistani's.

I can understand that being infuriating!

Matt

uh... yeah msp_biggrin.gif (sorry - I am trying to say it like one of the teenagers I teach in particular; when I ask something that they think should be glaringly obvious to me I get 'uh..yeah'!! LMAO)

Yes, like many modern countries, Britten has become so multi cultural, especially London, that there is no such thing as definitive British person anymore (well, if there was anyway). There are a lot of people from Indian, China, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Nigeria, France, Germany, Spain etc etc.

So yes, loads of 'foreign' restaurants - Indian food followed perhaps by Chinese and Italian food are the most popular restaurant wise. But yes lots of Mexican's and Tapas bars too.

I wanted to tell this to some people in a thread in the Acoustic lounge (about Brits), that may be a little out of touch with English people all going to the theatre, the dress code being people wearing grey clothing...and that strangely enough people don't speak like they are out of a Shakepseare play, like one of the guys said LMAO!!

I decided to not be so mean in the end and be **** Van Dyke to Albert John's David Nivenmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif You have to have some fun right?

Matt

LOL - [thumbup]

I sometimes out smart@ss myself. [laugh]

Archived