Gibson Brands Forums

Do Brits Hit "shift" 4 ?

Murph

My family originates from the Gujarat in India where its pretty much only vegitarian food. The potato is used a lot in traditional cooking from there.

It does annoy me however when people presume that what they get in an Indian resteraunt is actually authentic Indian, because its not. The food varies a lot depending on which part you're in, and the stuff in reseteraunts is normally made my bangaladeshi's or pakistani's.

Aren't Pakistan and Bangladesh in India? [wink] Just kidding.

Ethnic restaurants rarely serve bona fide authentic ... whatever cuisine they purport to serve. They make a reasonable facsimile there of, adjusted for availability of ingredients in the local economy and adjusted for the palates of their customers. One word of advice I heard years ago. As an American, don't go to an American cuisine restaurant in a foreign country. You are likely to be disappointed. Same goes for entertaining foreign visitors. Foreigners don't spend big bucks and travel thousands of miles to eat what they can eat at home. Just take them to your favorite local restaurant featuring your local cuisine.

"American pizza" bears only a slight resemblance to what is served in Italy. Chop Suey is an American dish.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't Pakistan and Bangladesh in India? [wink] Just kidding.

Ethnic restaurants rarely serve bona fide authentic ... whatever cuisine they purport to serve. They make a reasonable facsimile there of, adjusted for availability of ingredients in the local economy and adjusted for the palates of their customers. One word of advice I heard years ago. As an American, don't go to an American cuisine restaurant in a foreign country. You are likely to be disappointed. Same goes for entertaining foreign visitors. Foreigners don't spend big bucks and travel thousands of miles to eat what they can eat at home. Just take them to your favorite local restaurant featuring your local cuisine.

"American pizza" bears only a slight resemblance to what is served in Italy. Chop Suey is an American dish.

Yer thats wat we do when we hav people over. We never take em to a resteraunt trying to replicate something they can get back from where they live. And btw I hate chop suey, I find it too watery. It must be really bad for true Italians to have to watch people in different countries making sub standard versions of their food and essentially ruining it.

I'm finding it funny how a thread about keyboards turned into a convo about food :L

Yeah, the "ethnic" food most places, in my experience, reflects local tastes - and more, local expectations - rather than necessarily "the real thing."

That doesn't, on the other hand, make it "bad." I happen to like a bit of the taste of toasted sesame oil in a Korean-made vegetarian pizza. And a Korean lady I knew made some of the best "Italian" spaghetti anywhere.

I'll agree for Americans to stay out of most "American" restaurants outside the US. Except... used to go to a joint in Seoul called the "Nashville Club" that had at the time the best burgers in Korea.

Let's see... better than Wimpies, for sure.

In some neighborhoods with heavy ethnic populations the food can be pretty close to the real thing - or in "houses of worship" that are pretty ethnically-specific ditton.

m

uh... yeah msp_biggrin.gif (sorry - I am trying to say it like one of the teenagers I teach in particular; when I ask something that they think should be glaringly obvious to me I get 'uh..yeah'!! LMAO)

Yes, like many modern countries, Britten has become so multi cultural, especially London, that there is no such thing as definitive British person anymore (well, if there was anyway). There are a lot of people from Indian, China, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Nigeria, France, Germany, Spain etc etc.

So yes, loads of 'foreign' restaurants - Indian food followed perhaps by Chinese and Italian food are the most popular restaurant wise. But yes lots of Mexican's and Tapas bars too.

I wanted to tell this to some people in a thread in the Acoustic lounge (about Brits), that may be a little out of touch with English people all going to the theatre, the dress code being people wearing grey clothing...and that strangely enough people don't speak like they are out of a Shakepseare play, like one of the guys said LMAO!!

I decided to not be so mean in the end and be **** Van Dyke to Albert John's David Nivenmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif You have to have some fun right?

Matt

"We loves you Mary Poppins!"

Let's see... better than Wimpies, for sure.

m

Does Wimpies still exist? They died out in England over 8 years ago roughly.

Pretty much any thread will eventually turn into a thread about food, given enough time.........

Yer I'm starting to learn that :L

hi may i ask, if you call someone a hillbilly..is that an insult in the usa..?

the reason i ask is because i have an interest in a group called ulster scots, who i believe settled in some southern states..

may i also say to the member who liked the british meat pies, the scotch pie is one of the better ones..and no it does not contain whisky..lol..now the forfar bridie, on the other hand......

RE: "Hillbilly"

It depends on who is saying what to whom, and other circumstances.

It can be considered a vile insult or a friendly comment or nickname.

The polarity of such words seems to be a cultural artifact of the past half century, as is the polarity surrounding the "N" word. Who uses it and in what context seems to be the deciding factor, not the word itself in the sense of some generally-accepted words for certain body parts, etc.

m

I think any term can be "nasty" depending on use. Also some folks are more sensitive than others.

In terms of usage, for example, an Illinois governor used the term "cowboy" as someone who would run around shooting guns promiscuously not caring who gets hit.

Since I live in "cowboy country," I can testify that the real thing "cowboy" ain't at all like that. And that's an understatement.

So... I get a bit sensitive about that word.

On the other hand, the term "Cowboy Up" means to toughen up when the times get rough. I like that one. Hank Williams Jr. has used the term "hillbilly" meaning someone capable of making it through tough times and managing on his/her own. I like that too.

m

U.S. dollar; .9868 canadian dollar, .7498 Euros, .999 Oz dollars, and is holding it's own against the Seckel.............Pork bellies are sagging, vintage guitars are doing well, FuzzyFred's reputation continues

to defy Wall Street's predictions, Lounge quality posts continue an upwards swing, gold continues it's shocking upward's rise, Jim Morrison spotted as a greeter at a Montana Walmart, British blues guitaists

continue to boycott the term 'tubes', dem00n continues his jazz studies, and all is quiet on the western front.............................

U.S. dollar; .9868 canadian dollar, .7498 Euros, .999 Oz dollars, and is holding it's own against the Seckel.............Pork bellies are sagging, vintage guitars are doing well, FuzzyFred's reputation continues

to defy Wall Street's predictions, Lounge quality posts continue an upwards swing, gold continues it's shocking upward's rise, Jim Morrison spotted as a greeter at a Montana Walmart, British blues guitaists

continue to boycott the term 'tubes', dem00n continues his jazz studies, and all is quiet on the western front.............................

dude, its at like 160 now! holy ****

dude, its at like 160 now! holy ****

I only recently checked your thread out.......You are a very well respected member, and your music is good as well......Consider it a good omen.......

The question was "Do Brits hit shift 4", and there's 4 pages of responses lol

I love you guys!!! [biggrin]

Karen, much of it has to do with the natural eccentricities of the musical mind.........I'm considering a thread titled; " Do Aussies Hit Shift 6."

In terms of usage, for example, an Illinois governor used the term "cowboy" as someone who would run around shooting guns promiscuously not caring who gets hit.

And, you also have to consider that MOST Illinois Governors end up in prison at SOME point in their career..

I think "Cowboy", "Hillbilly", and "Redneck" are terms PASSIVE people like to use to define people they envy and are afraid of. They like to include words like "inbred" and "stupid", but when their car breaks down in a bad part of town they quietly PRAY that one passes by...........

Bottom line I don't think I would call someone a hillbilly unless you are good friends with the Hillbilly and know he/she won't take offense, unless offense is meant.

Interestingly, the term Hill Billy did not originate in Appalachia. It is said to have originated from folks coming from the hill country of Michigan to find work in automobile manufacturing in and around Detroit Michigan at the dawn of the automotive industry. It quite literally, meant an uneducated hay seed, with out not much street smarts, being a first generation city folk. In time it became a term or derision for un-urbanized folk.

Personally, If I were to be called a hillbilly, I would not take offense, even if offense was intended. I'd just thank them for the compliment. But, that's just me.

Regarding hillbilly, hick, redneck, etc....

Rural people seems to be one of the few "subgroups" it has not yet become PC

to respect. I'm often amazed at the way TV and movies will characterize southerners

for example. Don't know that I can think of another group that is still such

"fair game" to stereotype as the rural folk. [biggrin]

Regarding hillbilly, hick, redneck, etc....

Rural people seems to be one of the few "subgroups" it has not yet become PC

to respect. I'm often amazed at the way TV and movies will characterize southerners

for example. Don't know that I can think of another group that is still such

"fair game" to stereotype as the rural folk. [biggrin]

Indeed, I have even heard the term "trailer park trash" in unlikely places 'cause its OK?

Indeed, I have even heard the term "trailer park trash" in unlikely places 'cause its OK?

Pretty much.

We are about as insulted as we are of a mind to be. Some folks will take offense if you just look at them wrong and call it racism.

Folks that bristle at being called a kike, daygo, wap, ********, spick, nip or the like pay no mind to calling someone a whitey, red neck, hillbilly, cracker, white trash and the like.

[edit note that only one racial epithet was autoedited. How PC is that? ... Not.]

Some of those, now considered racial epithets, began very innocuously. The aforementioned term for a person of African origin began as a colloquealism for negro, much as tomato, became tamaters and potato became taters. At some point in the last century some folks took offense to it.

I've heard people complain about the racial non-pc-ness of The Little Rascals. They focus on a couple African American kids who played comedic, somewhat clownish roles. Farina and Buckwheat in particular. Farina, a boy, curiously used to always be dressed in his sisters' hand-me-down dresses. Buckwheat, some would say, had a funny, stereotypical accent. If you look at this series with any honesty at all, you will see that all the kids, and most of the adults, were of some stereotype. Most shed light on human foibles and made light of it. Do the complainers remember that Buckwheat was the leader of the band? Do the complainers remember that "Stymie" was the brains of the outfit? In most cases, African American, Stymie Beard was the character grounded in reality and had the cool head about him while chaos was erupting all around him. Stymie was the chief engineer and assembly foreman of the home spun fire truck the group built. What about the over weight characters? No one complains that many times their overweightness was made light of. No one complained that.

My favorite sketch is where a couple of the characters are exposed to the "Chicken Pops" (chicken pox). Near the end of the short, the Caucasian character has dark spots drawn on his face to mimic the 'Chicken Pops." The African character has light colored dots applied to his face to simulate the "Chicken Pops" as well. Absolutely hysterical. Racist? Naw, just funnier'n two pigs in a poke.

[laugh]

Archived