Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Locks on an SG?

P90Pete

Hi All,

I'm a new SG owner and noticed on all the pics in the IT"S A NEW FORUM, SO POST YOUR SG PICS post that not many of the SGs have strap locks. Mine came off last night while playing (always an interesting moment) and I'm thinking about adding strap locks. I use Schallers on my LP but they stick out far and I think that the front button might poke me while playing. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!

I wanted one of those, but they were all gone by the time I got around to buying so I ended up with this instead: http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitar%20of%20the%20Week/SG%20%5F61%5FReissue%2DWeek26/

The picture doesn't do the white color justice, it looks much better in person. I was worried the 57's were going to sound like the BB's in my LP but there's enough difference that I'm glad I got what I did. Still want one w/ P-90's tho.

BTW, if you turn down the gibson screw put a little elmers glue on it when you put it back in.

I looked at the dimarzios but like the straps I'm using. I may try the Dunlop Dual-Design Straplok. They look flatter then the Schallers. Don't get me wrong - the Schallers are great on my Les Paul. Very sturdy and dependable but I'm concerned about exactly what you mentioned! I don't know how the dimarzios install. Can you use other straps with the system and did you have issues with the screw length?

BTW flyingarmadillo ... the 61 reissue is beautiful. Just wish they made it in black.

I've got the dunlops on my SG and they work just fine. You will have to drill out the strap button hole a bit, and that can be scary. I would be sure to get a chromes finish though because the black ones will rust after awhile. I've never had that happen on any other set that was chrome.

as far as i know you can only use the strap that comes with the dimarzio cliplocks. unless of course you have a handy wife/girlfriend/mom or something along those lines that can do a sewing job on one of your favorite straps to make it work. i love my dimarzio cliplocks, they just make life so much easier. at namm they had a bunch of new designs for them, so maybe check out their website.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about to buy an SG, used, and my best chance looks like the clip-lock. I'm concerned, however, that the actual clips might rub on the finish. I can't find any pictures that would prove me wrong. Can someone let me know if they have potential to damage the guitar?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey after years of playing my trusty American Strat I'm now a new Gibson LP owner. I googled Gibson strap lock and it landed me in the middle of your discussion. I'm a schaller fan because of the Strat, and want to put them on my LP. I noticed in one review that the Schaller screws are smaller and shorter that the Gibsons. Wow that's scary, can you just use the Gibson screws or will Elmers in the new screws work?

Hi, I use Schaller locks on all my instruments, including a SG '61 RI and a SG Classic (P90's).

1. Use the screws that came with the Gibson, for best fit. Schaller screws are a bit thinner and need matchstick shards w/wo superglue to grip securely.

2. Beware the neck screw sits deeper into the Schaller button than the Gibson one. Best to nip or grind the end down accordingly. If you don't you may have a screw poking through your fingerboard! Aaaaaarrggghh!

3. I've found the Gibson body-edge button's screws to have heads that are too big to fit into the Scahaller buttons. I grind the edges of the screws down until they slot in nice.

4. Sometimes you need to drill out the inside hole of the straplock button to accomodate the original screw.

5. I always buy and fit felt pads between the button and the guitar. They save the finish and look nice!

Schaller straplocks have saved my guitars' lives many times! Just give it a little thought before you fit them, so you don't spoil your guitar.

Best of luck,

ibis

Hey Ibis, thanks so much. I feel like this has saved me a ton of potentially costly experimenting! I'm going that route with the Gibson screws slightly shortened and ground with hole drilled (if necessary) to fit in nicely. Super valuable advice from someone who has gone before me. I really appreciate it!

Best to you too,

Chuck

i used to use schallers on one of my old sgs and they did poke me in the stomach' date=' so i switched to the dimarzio cliplock straps, i love those.[/quote']

I use Schallers on all of my guitars except my SG Junior for the very reason you mentioned; on that guitar I use these Dunlops which don't have the button protruding.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StraplokN/

Hi All' date='

I'm a new SG owner and noticed on all the pics in the IT"S A NEW FORUM, SO POST YOUR SG PICS post that not many of the SGs have strap locks. Mine came off last night while playing (always an interesting moment) and I'm thinking about adding strap locks. I use Schallers on my LP but they stick out far and I think that the front button might poke me while playing. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!

I have the Dunlop "original" straplock on my SG and they are a nice fit. Modifying and/or getting another mounting screw was par for the course for me. I have them on an SG, a LP, a LP junior and Hagstrom Viking. Every guitar required a different screw to work properly. Because of that, I can't blame Dunlop for not giving a screw that fits. Heck, there are too many possibilites.

• 4 weeks later...

Ibis, I think we are the ONLY two on here willing to go to such DRASTIC measures to protect our guitars....

I'm with you 100% and then some.

Use the screws that came with the Gibson' date=' for best fit.

Beware the neck screw sits deeper into the Schaller button than the Gibson one.

I always buy and fit felt pads between the button and the guitar. They save the finish and look nice![/quote']

Buy buna rubber faucet washers at the hardware store, 1/2" outside diameter.

The extra thickness makes up for the deeper screw protrusion and prevents finish damage.

Oh, being poked in the belly by a Schaller strap lock is no big deal for me.

I'm well padded.

:-)

• 11 months later...

Planet Waves 2" Polypropylene Planet Lock Guitar Strap

Works with your existing hardware (no mods).

Has a rubber or "rubberish" type backing that faces the guitars surfaces.

I had this on my Stratocaster and bought the same for my new SG. Only issue I have is that these are "directional" they only go on one way and with the SG neck button situated where it is...it causes the strap to twist. So this strap really needs to have the locking piece flipped/reversed.

Okay, maybe one more issue but I may run into this with any strap. This strap is nylon and the SG Robot I have is neck heavy. This strap can hold the SG at 45 degrees but much more than that and the strap slides and the neck takes a nose dive.

Made by dunlop' date=' fits almost any guitar, no mods. Bought a dozen of 'em for about fifteen bucks. I throw a couple in a few of my cases so I always have some kicking around somewhere[/quote']

I assume you're talking about the $2.50 plastic strap locks(link isn't working for me).

That's the way I roll too. Never had a problem with them.

I surprised that not too many people mention the Lock-It strap:

Lock-it strap

I own two of these straps and they are awesome. They can make them with the front portion of the strap in reverse so that they will accommodate SG's, 335's, etc. that have strap pins on the back of the guitar. I was going to install Schaller's on my SG Classic, but decided to go with this strap instead and it works like a charm. All the other locking straps like the planet waves locking strap will have that directional problem as mentioned in an above post so that the strap would have to be twisted. But not on the Lock-It strap. You just have to email them before you order to make sure you get the right kind of strap for the SG.

I love these straps so much that I'm going to order two more to replace my other straps!

Archived