Gibson Brands Forums

Is it real..?

tstrummer

I have a Custom Shop 1950s Southern Jumbo reissue - or do I? All sites I check tell me that the serial number will be imprinted on the back of the headstock (mine isn't) or printed on a decal on the back of the headstock or in the body (mine isn't). Made in USA should also be in one or other of these locations (mine does not have this). I'm also told that, since 2005, Bozeman acoustics have a nine-digit number (Mine is eight, printed inside the body up where the neck joins). I put my number into a search engine and it said that my instrument was made in Bozeman on June 24, 2007. It should have a tan-coloured case, mine is black. Everything else about the guitar seems genuine, but I'm told that there are fakes out there and I just hope that I haven't bought one - although it does sound just great, I mean really great! Please, can anyone offer me reassurance - or confirm my worst fears.

I can't do pictures - I lack the technical expertise (I'm an acoustic man, after all) and, perhaps more importantly, I don't have a camera. But trust me, it looks and feels like the real thing. But I have nagging doubts; as well as the already-mentioned anomalies, the serial number in my guitar is different from the one on the apparently genuine Gibson packaging that it came in

The recent serial numbers are 8 digits. Here's how you read it.

Example: 01804048

The 1st and 5th numbers represent the year of manufacture.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th numbers say that it was stamped on the 180th day of that year. The last 3 numbers tell in what order it was stamped at the factory on that day. The serial numbers are usually stamped on the back of the headstock, however on some custom models they are on the inside. Is there a label? The serial number should be on the label on the inside of the guitar.

We can easily put this whole affair to bed if you find someone with a camera to take a few shots. If you don't know how to upload them then you can email the pics to one of us and we'll do it for you.

There are many phony Gibsons out there with equally phony serial numbers. Numbers mean nothing by themselves; we need to see the guitar and trust me, it's pedigree will be affirmed or refuted before you can go refill your coffee cup.

I have a Custom Shop 1950s Southern Jumbo reissue - or do I? ... .

A picture would help, but this sounds pretty similar to an '07 Custom Shop SJ I acquired in Bozeman during the Gibson Homecoming last year. It has no label, and the S/N is not impressed on the headstock, but it is inked on the neck block. The idea was to make the guitar more '50s-ish in ways that would appeal to Japanese buyers. (These were originally intended for the Japanese market, but wound up other places because of the break with the Japanese distributor.) And, since it's not a True Vintage series guitar, it came in the standard black case, not a tan one.

So I haven't heard anything that makes me think it can't be a genuine Gibson -- but that doesn't mean it is one. If you're really dead set against pictures, you could try calling Bozeman -- not the general Customer Service number in Nashville -- to check whether your serial number corresponds one of the made-for-Japan Custom SJs.

-- Bob R

You're all being breathtakingly helpful - I can tell you're not English. I'm on the case with the camera and will try to get a young person to help me to upload some pics in the next few days.

Good luck in your search for the true identitiy of your guitar. I can tell you're not English? Phew' date=' I'm glad I didn't say that!! Har de har matie, you're on your own now!! [/color']

You're all being breathtakingly helpful - I can tell you're not English. I'm on the case with the camera and will try to get a young person to help me to upload some pics in the next few days.

OH Dear oh dear!

Well Tstrummer first a big welcome to the forum.

We are getting quite an ENGLISH contingent now always good to swell the ranks.

To quote our US fiends " Now listen here you no good SOB" I was going to offer to drop by on my next trip to the smoke. take some pics of you guitar and give yoy my opinion.

But I have decided that I will be stereo-typical and not helpful....................... so You can visit a taxidermist!

And I will tell you now that I am the one who wakes up first and am generally regarded as the most polite so you are in for a treat!

BTW I assume you were joking, so have replied in kind. If you need some help then please ask and I will do my best.

If I find you are serious then may your G string ever break!

Welcome tstrummer. JT and I met up in Denmark St recently so perhaps we in the SE should do the same soon. You'll notice that the Colonials have an annual homecoming which sounds like a groovy event but sadly too expensive for me. So all of us in the UK need to do something different.

Denmark St, despite its lack of Gibson acoustics, seems a good place to start. I can bring my camera if and when we meet, if your question remains unaswered.

The quality and depth of the advice, knowledge and help on the forum is, without expection, top class and I've made many a new friend in the few months I have been a member.

... and I thought the English could take a joke (I am not, by the way, English myself). But anyway, the matter has been resolved by the wonderful Philippe Debreuille (or something like that), luthier, guitar tech to the stars and eccentric French Denmark St workshop wizard. I took the instrument in for some minor adjustments to the action and he said instantly that it was indeed the real thing and "a ver' fine guitar, non?". In these nanny state days, it's good to find someone who can sort me out, fix the broken bridge on my son's Burns Marquee, rewind a a couple of Telecaster pick-up and refret a Strat, all without removing the cigarette from his mouth in the no-smoking workshop. I would like to thank everyone who has offered help, advice and abuse - I am delighted to be a fledgling member of the Gibson community, which I have missed ever since I sold my 60s Melody Maker for a ludicrous £125 in straightened times in 1979 - and shall read all your posts with interest.

And to AlbertJohn...why not? I'm up for it and as a Londoner, Denmark St is my backyard.

... and I thought the English could take a joke (I am not' date=' by the way, English myself). But anyway, the matter has been resolved by the wonderful Philippe Debreuille (or something like that), luthier, guitar tech to the stars and eccentric French Denmark St workshop wizard. I took the instrument in for some minor adjustments to the action and he said instantly that it was indeed the real thing and "a ver' fine guitar, non?". In these nanny state days, it's good to find someone who can sort me out, fix the broken bridge on my son's Burns Marquee, rewind a a couple of Telecaster pick-up and refret a Strat, all without removing the cigarette from his mouth in the no-smoking workshop. I would like to thank everyone who has offered help, advice and abuse - I am delighted to be a fledgling member of the Gibson community, which I have missed ever since I sold my 60s Melody Maker for a ludicrous £125 in straightened times in 1979 - and shall read all your posts with interest.

And to AlbertJohn...why not? I'm up for it and as a Londoner, Denmark St is my backyard.[/quote']

So you know tstrummer, Albert John and I know a suberb Gibson trained teccie up in lower Suffolk. IF you have any problems during warranty period or outwith please post to either of us and we'll put you in touch! He's sorted out my exEbay Songwriter 12 string and my 335, done several things for AJ and we can heartily recommend him.

Very glad to hear that your guitar is legit! I know how that feels when you think you got a good deal and then you're not so sure

We'll let you know when the next outing is , you'll be very welcome

BR

JOhn

And what, pray, tstrummer makes you think the English can NOT take a joke.....

Especially since Johnt actually said he assumed you were joking, and I said hee hee hee.

Oh for a large Smiley emoticon so we can telegraph joshing to the colonials. =P~

Archived