Gibson Brands Forums

The dreaded "brick wall"

larryp58

Larry, I find that when I get stuck, i try to learn a song from a genre that I normally don't play in, for example country, because it forces me to learn a different way of playing, different style of picking. ALSO I learn the song from start to finish. I have so many songs in my head that I know ONLY the introduction. So I "forced"myself to learn complete songs. Also, thank God for Youtube....there are so many lessons on there, and watching is the way I learn best, so, easy to look for inspiration and technique. Larry, I hope this helps!! I've been there!

I'm was beginning to think that in between my brain and fingers, there was a "failure to communicate"!
Actually, its a good place to be, a plateau, because you are building up to cross the next pass ("gonna climb that ridge no matter how steep after we get up to it"). Also, I think Rev Davis said somewhere its best to start with a mistake, then you can learn something. Cheers.

ps. The advice to cross wire the brain (different style or instrument) is not bad. Even a few days rest..

Actually, its a good place to be, a plateau, because you are building up to cross the next pass ("gonna climb that ridge no matter how steep after we get up to it"). Also, I think Rev Davis said somewhere its best to start with a mistake, then you can learn something. Cheers.

ps. The advice to cross wire the brain (different style or instrument) is not bad. Even a few days rest..

Oh, Larry, you might want to put that beer bottle down, may get in the way of playing....lol...

Oh, Larry, you might want to put that beer bottle down, may get in the way of playing....lol...

Not a beer drinker, Wiley! But I am rather fond of a few shots of Jack Daniels before a gig. (Jack Daniels: it's a Southern thang!)

Not a beer drinker, Wiley! But I am rather fond of a few shots of Jack Daniels before a gig. (Jack Daniels: it's a Southern thang!)

I WOULD understand! Have been a bourbon drinker for awhile. My 79 year old dad introduced me to Gentleman Jack (very smooth,upscale version) of JD, a few months ago.

It pretty much cures any mind/finger shortcircuits and makes me 10 foot tall and 'bullet-proof'.... [biggrin][lol]

I WOULD understand! Have been a bourbon drinker for awhile. My 79 year old dad introduced me to Gentleman Jack (very smooth,upscale version) of JD, a few months ago.

It pretty much cures any mind/finger shortcircuits and makes me 10 foot tall and 'bullet-proof'.... [biggrin][lol]

+1 on the GJ! [thumbup]

Archived