Gibson Brands Forums

best undersaddle pickup?

meanstreak

I want to add an undersaddle pickup to my Masterbilt AJ-500M. I'm thinking a proper install by a luthier with the plug at the endpin. I've been mostly happy with my fishman soundhole pickup on my h-bird but I don't like having it in the hole! What's the best one out there in your opinion?

I have a LR Baggs EAS installed on my J 45 and I like it's tone reproduction. It's simple and out of the way. I've also had the K&K "pure western" mini installed

on a Martin D 16 and liked it as well but that one is an under the bridge inside install.

Although it may not fall within your definition of "under saddle" pickup, I like the .

sorry, noob error I suppose! I don't really know enough about acoustic pickups. Is there a nice website anywhere that will explain the differences between types? I guess I don't care really what kind of pickup as long as it sounds great and it's inside the guitar and not in the soundhole!

I do like a nice bassy, J-45'ish sound, does that make an impact on my decision?

I have the Fishman matrix infinity in my Furch OM, and combined with the Aura specturm the tone is natural and heavenly.

+one for me.

1 Fishman Matrix>Aura16>SJ200> SA220 solo

2 Fishman Aura Pro> J45 > SA220 solo

Like'em both

Under the saddle / piezo pickup sits underneath the actual saddle. Picking up the vibration of the strings though the saddle, also some are able to pickup a small amount of top noise around the bridge. These can sound a bit "quacky" Or a bit fake.

Some k&k and the ibeam pickup the resonating sound off of the top. Tend to be a bit more "airy"

Or you can go the combination route.

Lr baggs - imix: combines the ibeam, with the under the saddle. Great for controlling the sound. Sounds bit more like a real guitar.

They also have a dual source: which uses under the saddle with a mic. Very cool tone production. Of course having. A mic in your guitar and playing a loud live show is more likely to feedback.

AER has the mic/under the saddle combo too.

After many years of trying reproduce my acoustic tone at a live show, I've found the baggs duel source, and imix to be my favorites.

When looking for a "natural" sound when adding a pickup to ANY acoustic instrument, the buzz word is ACTIVE, versus passive. A battery powered system (EQ, vol level, etc) makes a world of difference in what you can get out of the instrument.

The high-end Fishman "active" systems are the best you can find (but your gonna pay for it).

When looking for a "natural" sound when adding a pickup to ANY acoustic instrument, the buzz word is ACTIVE, versus passive. A battery powered system (EQ, vol level, etc) makes a world of difference in what you can get out of the instrument.

The high-end Fishman "active" systems are the best you can find (but your gonna pay for it).

Larry.....forgive me if I'm wrong but a PASSIVE option is still a good way to go if you have one of these...

lr-baggs-acoustic-di-preamp-para-eq-direct-box_160523728354.jpg

Anyone know what kind of pickup do they put in the new J-45 and Hummingbird modern classics?

Yeah its the L.R. Baggs Element Active Acoustic Pickup System

Blurb below:-

"...Gibson Acoustic’s J-45 comes equipped with the popular Element Active Acoustic Pickup System from L.R. Baggs, which features a low-profile undersaddle element—or transducer—that’s proven more stable and durable than many standard ribbon-type pickups. Combined with an onboard preamp with an unobtrusive volume control mounted just inside the soundhole, the Element delivers performance not previously attainable from an undersaddle pickup. Its sleek and effective design removes unnecessary internal components to enhance the coupling between the pickup and the guitar, and improve the sensitivity of the transducer for a robust, lively, and natural acoustic sound with excellent dynamics and delicate high end. The Element works with a standard 9V battery, which is housed inside the guitar in L.R. Bagg’s new “Battery Bagg.”

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah its the L.R. Baggs Element Active Acoustic Pickup System

Blurb below:-

"...Gibson Acoustic’s J-45 comes equipped with the popular Element Active Acoustic Pickup System from L.R. Baggs, which features a low-profile undersaddle element—or transducer—that’s proven more stable and durable than many standard ribbon-type pickups. Combined with an onboard preamp with an unobtrusive volume control mounted just inside the soundhole, the Element delivers performance not previously attainable from an undersaddle pickup. Its sleek and effective design removes unnecessary internal components to enhance the coupling between the pickup and the guitar, and improve the sensitivity of the transducer for a robust, lively, and natural acoustic sound with excellent dynamics and delicate high end. The Element works with a standard 9V battery, which is housed inside the guitar in L.R. Bagg’s new “Battery Bagg.”

Ok well I went ahead and ordered a LR Baggs Element, hopefully it will be here by the weekend but IDK with the snowy weather. I figure if it's good enough for Gibson it's good enough for me! Will let you guys know how I like it once it arrives and I get it installed.

• 4 weeks later...

Caution: The Baggs under-saddle transducers are all (I believe) braided or woven wire filaments, and really screws up the pure acoustic sound of the guitar. If you only ever plan to play amplified (even at home) you may not care. I certainly do. I have removed the Baggs PU from two guitars recently, a Gibson "Jackson Browne" prototype and an Epiphone Elitist "J-200", and in both cases the liberation of acoustic tone and volume was remarkable.

Brian

Archived