Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to buy a new Gibson - unsuccessfully...

Squire

In the middle of last year there was a guitar dealer here in the UK who had a new Hummingbird Custom for sale. Now this custom was probably the most beautiful acoustic guitar I've ever seen. Dark honeyburst, birdseye maple back and sides, gold tuners, absolutely stunning.

Anyway, I saved up the money to get it and called up the store. It had been sold that very day and I missed out. [sad] No matter I thought, I'll just wait for them to get another one in stock, as they'd ordered another from Gibson which was meant to be arriving in store in a few weeks time.

Fast forward to January this year, the store still haven't received one. I've phoned them up a few times just to check and to be fair to them, they've been great, no complaints there. They just don't know when Gibson are going to send them the guitar. They've got my name down so when it comes in they will get in touch. I still check their site every day though just in case... Another three people are also waiting for one from this same store.

It seems weird that people are waiting to spend their money on Gibson guitars and Gibson just don't seem to play ball. How bizarre is that?

I believe the reality is that Gibson actually cant produce enough guitars to satisfy all the dealers they work with.

Instead they focus on the larger shops, and in Europe one of the best ones is thomann.de Ive been at their shop and bought my SWD from them, and you can also buy online with a 30 day return policy. Very competitive prices.

Good luck !

Similar thing happened when buying my first Gibson - a SWD - they said it would be a few months, so I waited. Got delayed, waited again. Got told Gibson had mis-placed the order, or never got it or something. Got a call the next day from the shop saying they've had the guitar delivered!

The worst thing was that this all happened over May (or whenever they change the prices), so I had to pay more for it than I had originially expected...

Thanks for that guys. Yes I suspect you're right, Gibson can not satisfy demand, which must be a nice place for a business to be! [tongue]

I've kept my eye on Thomann's website every now and then, just in case one arrives there. They've certainly got some nice stock haven't they?

Maybe I'll get that phone call tomorrow too!!! [-o<

Hi there.

We also went to Thomann in Burgebrach in Germany. The place was fantastic, and we got a full tour all over the place, and they have a lot of nice instruments inc. the guitars. We have mailed in advance and asked them to have 7 differnt guitars ready, when we came, and we tried more than the 7. We bought a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Standard, and it is wonderful to play. You won't regret, if you buy at Thomann's.

Was it Frailers in Runcorn? Nice shop. To be honest, you couldn't do wrong by looking at Fullers in Texas.

You could get the same guitar imported for less. Not much less but still.

Uk Gibson s have always been difficult to get and usually very expensive.

From shop to shop, nearly all the same stock.

I think one of the best UK shops is Coda-music, Stevenage.

that guitar was a special run. i think they only did about 20 of them. the shop may have ordered another, but that doesn't mean Gibson was planning to make more. we had one in our shop last year too. beautiful guitar, but limited numbers available... and they all had to be ordered up front. i think after the initial shipments went out, there were no more to be had. sorry!

I'm surprised that Europe doesn't have a GUITAR CENTER, or MUSICIAN'S FRIEND.....or something like that.....especially in the big cities.......is there a law against big box stores in Europe???

Ha ha, yeah I suppose there aren't any huge retailers here in Europe, although the already mentioned Thomman seems to be a big box shifter.

Was it Frailers in Runcorn? Nice shop. To be honest, you couldn't do wrong by looking at Fullers in Texas.

No it wasn't Frailers (although I did buy my J30 Montana there), it was a shop in the south east. I'm a fan of Coda Music too, as I bought my 335 from them.

If I found one for sale in the US, I'd definitely consider getting one shipped over. The problem is, I can't see to find one.

that guitar was a special run. i think they only did about 20 of them. the shop may have ordered another, but that doesn't mean Gibson was planning to make more. we had one in our shop last year too. beautiful guitar, but limited numbers available... and they all had to be ordered up front. i think after the initial shipments went out, there were no more to be had. sorry!

I really hope we are talking about a different model modoc_333. I'll be gutted if that turns out to be the case. These things are usually advertised as a limited run of 20, 50, 200 etc aren't they? This one didn't say anything like that in the ad (which doesn't mean that it wasn't a limited run of course).

I had the same problem took me a year to own a 165. Dealers say they are coming in but the never called me even the so called London main dealer. I don't think it is shortage of supply but minimum order size on the part of Gibson and shortage of funds to place the minimum order on the part of the dealer. I bought from USA in the end.

Ditto on Coda. Also Mansons in Exeter have a very good selection.

It's a sad fact that many, many UK retailers do not want to do business with Gibson. The reasons are many and varied but a common theme (from my anecdotal evidence) is the investment required. Also I'm surprised how many I have spoken to just don't rate Gibson acoustics.

Electrics are a different matter of course.

I have never dealt with Thomman but they come with a very good reputation.

In the middle of last year there was a guitar dealer here in the UK who had a new Hummingbird Custom for sale. Now this custom was probably the most beautiful acoustic guitar I've ever seen. Dark honeyburst, birdseye maple back and sides, gold tuners, absolutely stunning.

Anyway, I saved up the money to get it and called up the store. It had been sold that very day and I missed out. [sad] No matter I thought, I'll just wait for them to get another one in stock, as they'd ordered another from Gibson which was meant to be arriving in store in a few weeks time.

Fast forward to January this year, the store still haven't received one. I've phoned them up a few times just to check and to be fair to them, they've been great, no complaints there. They just don't know when Gibson are going to send them the guitar. They've got my name down so when it comes in they will get in touch. I still check their site every day though just in case... Another three people are also waiting for one from this same store.

It seems weird that people are waiting to spend their money on Gibson guitars and Gibson just don't seem to play ball. How bizarre is that?

Now I saw an beautiful HB in Barnet in Herts a couple of weeks ago

This is the store and I think its the guitar

ANy use?

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-1960-hummingbird-50th-anniversary-dark-heritage-cherryburst--80600

Squire: I have your guitar. I had help on it and on another model a few years back. The questions are, if you could get one made for you, would you be able to get it shipped to you, and finally, how much would you end up having paid? EKE!

PM, on the way soon.

Hall

I had the same problem took me a year to own a 165. Dealers say they are coming in but the never called me even the so called London main dealer. I don't think it is shortage of supply but minimum order size on the part of Gibson and shortage of funds to place the minimum order on the part of the dealer. I bought from USA in the end.

Cheers, I've emailed Fullers in the US and they are going to give me a quote to get one made. They suspect it would take 8 weeks from order. I suspect I might need to be sitting down when they give me the price though.

It's a sad fact that many, many UK retailers do not want to do business with Gibson. The reasons are many and varied but a common theme (from my anecdotal evidence) is the investment required. Also I'm surprised how many I have spoken to just don't rate Gibson acoustics.

Thanks AJ, I'll have a look at Mansons in a minute.

Now I saw an beautiful HB in Barnet in Herts a couple of weeks ago

This is the store and I think its the guitar

ANy use?

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-1960-hummingbird-50th-anniversary-dark-heritage-cherryburst--80600

Thanks for the link Johnt, much appreciated. No sadly that's not the one. I've seen a few of those 50th anniversary ones online, and they do look quite nice, apart from the headstock.

Squire: I have your guitar. I had help on it and on another model a few years back. The questions are, if you could get one made for you, would you be able to get it shipped to you, and finally, how much would you end up having paid? EKE!

PM, on the way soon.

Hall

Cheers Hall, I'll soon find out when Fullers get back to me. By the way, I'm quite jealous!

Hopefully this picture has uploaded OK. If it has, this is the picture from the advert I saw last year from Guitar Village, who like I said have been really good whenever I've called them to ask about it.

post-14396-044543600 1296063250_thumb.jpg

Squire:

But that is not the one you're looking for, is it. You described the heavily quilted maple sides and back. I hope you get an affordable lead on the one you want.

Hall

Well this is how I described it.

Dark honeyburst, birdseye maple back and sides, gold tuners, absolutely stunning.

Here is the cached version of the original advert with decription.

Clicky

What I don't quite understand is the colour. That is described as Honeyburst, whilst this other Modern Classic (click here) is also described as Honeyburst. They are clearly different. Any ideas???

I'm in discussion with Fullers about a custom order and want to make sure I get the right colour!!! [scared]

I'm in discussion with Fullers about a custom order and want to make sure I get the right colour!!! [scared]

Give Fuller's a nice color picture of what you want, and ask them to be sure to get it to Van at Gibson.

-- Bob R

This is my experience exactly.

Anyone considering doing business with Music Ground uk should do so very carefully. Do a google search and see

for yourself...Handling stolen instruments, faking vintage amps and guitars.

I think the owners will be singing the 'Folsom prison blues' anytime soon!

Archived