Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's SG 60's tribute

sparky scott 29

Well I'm thinking for my LP Studio, I want to put a P90 in the neck

It might not work on a LP as the pickups are screwed directly to the wood, as with the SG they are suspended in the pickguard. You might get lucky and find an extra large pickup ring that will cover up the hole, but I'm not sure.

P-90s rule. Who's with me?

I'm with you.....I ignored them for years....I'm now addicted to them, along with Bigsbys.....Got six geetars with P-90s now; more to come.

Well I'm thinking for my LP Studio, I want to put a P90 in the neck

http://www.bg-pups.com

Other companies make real P-90s that are direct drop ins as well.................

I think I have solved your problem!

BAM! http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/P-94/ no routing required!

Yeah... I knew about the P94...

Since he brought up routing the humbucker body for P90s I thought it might be possible for me to get the standard P90 size in my guitar

They also make Phat Cats, but they sound different

The whole mini-humbucker and ring fit inside a p90 route. The mini humbucker itself is smaller than a p90.

A p90 wil not fit into a mini humbucker ring nor would a mini humbucker ring fit Fred's guitar.

That's what I thought and was intrigued. I just love the looks of a soapbar tis all

The whole mini-humbucker and ring fit inside a p90 route. The mini humbucker itself is smaller than a p90.

A p90 wil not fit into a mini humbucker ring nor would a mini humbucker ring fit Fred's guitar.

Looks like we need to request another " solve the problem " thread from Andy..........

I didn't think you could put soapbars in your LP but I was exploring all possible Ideas I could think of.

That's what I thought, then I forgot your name was SG fan, and the mention of batwing pickguard told me to give up.

I will probably go with the P94, but I hate the way they look. I'll get over it

Mini humbuckers will fit a guitar routed for p90s not a full sized humbucker.

Is $800 street price or MSRP? It looks cool but there's no way I'd pay $800 for that. I don't think I even paid $800 for my Standard.

There is no way that's list. I'm guessing list is $1299. IMO, $800 is a steal for that guitar. I'll be getting one in natural.

To me, those faded guitars just seem incomplete. My main gripe is the feel of the open grain. And of course

I just don't think they look nearly as good as a regular gloss finish. Pretty much just my personal opinion.

For that price, I'd rather buy a used Standard or gloss Special and throw some p90s in it.

I don't think it's a huge rip off... But I definately wouldn't call it a steal. The natural finish looks cool.

I had pics sent to me of one in Natural. Swear to heaven that body was 3-4 all assymetric pieces. Not pretty Gibson. My enthusiasm is waning :(

In good news I picked up an '89 SG Special (odd bird) for $250 at local pawn shop.

Archived