Gibson Brands Forums

Got The Kids All Together

zombywoof

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice family! what's the tone like on the kaycraft? i've seen them but never heard one.

The Kay has a brassy sound. The 12 fretters are all ladder braced. Not alot of bloom - the notes decay real fast and it ain't very loud. Great for slide work and some Piedmont Blues. Not a bad strummer but nowhere in the Gibson ballpark. It responds alot better to fingers than picks. The 10 fret model has X bracing and has a warmer bass and crisper highs.

Keep the photos coming ya'll!

Back row: '04 A' date=' '28 L-1, '30 L-1, '32 L-00. Front row: '37 L-7, '36 L-century, '43 SJ. The L-7 has since been replaced by a circa '30 Nick Lucas.[/quote']

Yours is my favourite Gibson collection here on the forum. I think your choice to trade off the century was a good move, though I am sure you miss the instrument a bit.

Your SJ is from an exceptional year, in my opinion and the style A mandolin makes me drool.

Fun stuff' date=' indeed, guys. JT-fingerstylists dream. Zomby-as I said on the open tuning post, that Kraft just says "Josh White" to me. Drath--do I detect a Fabs theme? Corner--nice flats, but your Tele caught my eye--Buck and Don!

[/quote']

i agree. that tele has a really quirky retro look. very nice indeed.

I think your choice to trade off the century was a good move' date=' though I am sure you miss the instrument a bit.

Your SJ is from an exceptional year, in my opinion and the style A mandolin makes me drool.[/quote']

Thanks! Actually, I swapped out the L-7 for the Nick Lucas. That Century is a fave of mine and was featured in Frets Magazine a couple of years ago. It's a keeper.

Thanks, too, for the kind words about the SJ. It's a really sweet guitar, nearly mint guitar

2548739530033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks to all who've posted pics of their collections. Gert stuff!

I need to do an updated family shot 'cause the Epiphone EJ-160E and the new Songwriter are missing here:

familyshot5.jpg

Drathbun:

It looks like your 360/12 has the hi-gain pickups on it. Can you comments on the sound of that vs the vintage pickups?

I have a 360/6 with the VPs on it.

You also have a Strat similar to mine! :-)

Fred

Fun stuff' date=' indeed, guys. JT-fingerstylists dream. Zomby-as I said on the open tuning post, that Kraft just says "Josh White" to me. Drath--do I detect a Fabs theme? Corner--nice flats, but your Tele caught my eye--Buck and Don! [/quote']

I always associate the Kay Kraft with Blind Willie McTell sideman Curley Weaver. Ya always knew when Curley was going to solo when Willie yelled "Kick it Six."

Which Tele - the 1958 or the custom built job?

Lordy, your Rics in particular look sweet.

Drathbun:

It looks like your 360/12 has the hi-gain pickups on it. Can you comments on the sound of that vs the vintage pickups?

I have a 360/6 with the VPs on it.

You also have a Strat similar to mine! :-)

Fred

Hey Fred! I haven't played a Rick with the Vintage pups on it so I can't comment. However' date=' the HG's have lots of punch and with some compression and a slight rolloff on the bass, it is quite chimey! Listen to this:

My Back Pages

I played that direct in to my mixer and then added compression, reverb and some EQ. I know it isn't as "transparent" as the VP recordings but I like it!

The strat is a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe and the neck is to die for!

jkinnama:

Yes... a definite "Fabs Theme" going on here. +:-@

Hey Fred! I haven't played a Rick with the Vintage pups on it so I can't comment. However' date=' the HG's have lots of punch and with some compression and a slight rolloff on the bass, it is quite chimey! Listen to this:

My Back Pages

I played that direct in to my mixer and then added compression, reverb and some EQ. I know it isn't as "transparent" as the VP recordings but I like it!

The strat is a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe and the neck is to die for!

jkinnama:

Yes... a definite "Fabs Theme" going on here. +:-@

Drathbun:

Nice take on "Pages"!

I used to own a 370/12RM model, and with the on-board compressor, that WAS The Byrds (as it should be....)

toeverything.jpg I found that the 1 5/8" neck was just a bit too narrow for my fingers, and eventually sold the guitar. But, wow, what a sound!!

I now have a 660/12 with its wider neck, find it easier to play, and a 360/6:

IMGP7614.jpg

Still miss the McGuinn though.

Fred

It is funny but Rics are the one guitar I have wanted to love but could never make peace with them. I actually did own one - picked it up in a "guitar feal market" back in the mid-1970s for $250 is I recall. Don't know what the model was but it has a "claw" which would knock down 6 of the strings so you could theoretically play it as a 6 or 12 string. I just could never work the tone of that guitar into what I played. But I do still admire them and maybe one day will figure out what the heck to do with it.

It is funny but Rics are the one guitar I have wanted to love but could never make peace with them. I actually did own one - picked it up in a "guitar feal market" back in the mid-1970s for $250 is I recall. Don't know what the model was but it has a "claw" which would knock down 6 of the strings so you could theoretically play it as a 6 or 12 string. I just could never work the tone of that guitar into what I played. But I do still admire them and maybe one day will figure out what the heck to do with it.

Whoa! -- too bad you never 'made peace' with THAT one -- that guitar was a 366/12 "Convertible' date=' and worth a pretty penny these days!

The claw that you describe enabled (supposedly) the player to remove the 6 octave strings with a simple move of the comb, so that you could play either 6-string or 12-string configurations.

Here's a shot of one:

[img']http://www.rickresource.com/stt-research/36612body.jpg[/img]

Another one:

Rickenbacker366-12-1968.jpg

I agree that Ricks are a special flavour that not everyone 'gets'. I like their electrics, but haven't found an acoustic I liked at all.

Fred

I've shown my guitar family on an earlier thread but that was before I added the SJ-200. I've been taking care of my friends' Harry and Cathy's place with the cat, Conner and all, so I used their wondeful garden as a backdrop for my only Gibsons. My '04 J-45 and my '07 SJ-200 mc. I was also lucky enough to conscript an aging hippe who was just waltzing down the street whistling "Mellow Yellow", to sit in on the photo to lend a bit of perspective as to size. I didn't want it to look like miniature guitars in a terrarium.

Pic1212.jpg

Archived