Gibson Brands Forums

60's Tribute Les Paul Studio

xxx

I got my Goldtop that I ordered on 1-27 from Musicians Friend today. I have to say that it's the best guitar that I've ever bought. The finish is great with it being satiny but still glossy enough to show through. It did have some crud under the clearcoat on the sides near the horn but nothing that I'm going to get mad about. It took me, maybe two minutes with my pick to get it off. The case is decent, but I'll be using a better one til I can find another Gibson Art Custom Historic case for a Les Paul. I have a Faded SG that I got used and this is my first Les Paul and brand new Gibson. The tuners work great since they are the same as on my SG. I'll post pictures later for everyone to see.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to GC with their 15% off presidential coupon. I had my wants on the new Epiphone Blackback 70's Inspired. Of course they haven't arrived in the store yet. My salesman said he could get me into a Gibson within the same price range. I wasn't totally sold on the idea. You know how you get your mind set on something. That being said, I had looked online at the lower end Gibbies. He put this Worn Honey Burst 60's Tribute in my hands, hooked me up to a G-DEC and that was all it took. Craftmanship was perfect. Lighter than other LP's I've played. And what really sold me was the way it played. It is the first Gibson I ever played and it played like butter, if that's even possible. I was really wanting HB's but the P90's sound really good. I'm really happy I decided to flip for this beauty. I was charged extra for the bag that I thought came with the guitar. Gibson not providing a case/bag with their instruments, I can see that happening with a $200 offbrand. The Guitar had an in-store price of $849 and with the 15% off coupon was less than $725 plus the bag and tax.

I went to GC with their 15% off presidential coupon. I had my wants on the new Epiphone Blackback 70's Inspired. Of course they haven't arrived in the store yet. My salesman said he could get me into a Gibson within the same price range. I wasn't totally sold on the idea. You know how you get your mind set on something. That being said, I had looked online at the lower end Gibbies. He put this Worn Honey Burst 60's Tribute in my hands, hooked me up to a G-DEC and that was all it took. Craftmanship was perfect. Lighter than other LP's I've played. And what really sold me was the way it played. It is the first Gibson I ever played and it played like butter, if that's even possible. I was really wanting HB's but the P90's sound really good. I'm really happy I decided to flip for this beauty. I was charged extra for the bag that I thought came with the guitar. Gibson not providing a case/bag with their instruments, I can see that happening with a $200 offbrand. The Guitar had an in-store price of $849 and with the 15% off coupon was less than $725 plus the bag and tax.

Sounds like you got ripped off because they already come with a gig bag.

Sounds like you got ripped off because they already come with a gig bag.

Somehow it worked out. The guitar was discounted and the bag added back on the sales slip as a separate item. After adding tax, my total out of pocket was $782.10. If the bag had not been added separately, I would have saved $.91. I'm not sure if the bag was discounted or not, but less than a dollar difference. Happy strumming.

Another happy recipient of a 60's tribute goldtop here.

I ordered one at the end of January on Musicians Friend for $849 (even better deal than Guitar Center with no tax and free shipping) and it just arrived this morning - according to UPS ground, travelled from Kansas to Colorado to California so I'm happy it arrived in one piece.

Unfortunately so happy that while impatiently changing the strings to a heavier gage, made a little scratch on the headstock near the tuners when I tried to change the bottom E, then back again after discovering that a thicker string stuck up too high off the nut.

Anyway, looks great, sounds fantastic - thick, loud, full sound - finally after all these years. Combined with my Musicman 112 tube amp, it's the perfect sound (for me).

Another happy recipient of a 60's tribute goldtop here.

I ordered one at the end of January on Musicians Friend for $849 (even better deal than Guitar Center with no tax and free shipping) and it just arrived this morning - according to UPS ground, travelled from Kansas to Colorado to California so I'm happy it arrived in one piece.

Unfortunately so happy that while impatiently changing the strings to a heavier gage, made a little scratch on the headstock near the tuners when I tried to change the bottom E, then back again after discovering that a thicker string stuck up too high off the nut.

Anyway, looks great, sounds fantastic - thick, loud, full sound - finally after all these years. Combined with my Musicman 112 tube amp, it's the perfect sound (for me).

PHOTO(S), Ronnie...or, it didn't happen! ;>)

CB

My Worn Honey Burst LP arrived yesterday from MF. I "pre-ordered" it the first week of February. It was an impulse buy...and I thought about cancelling the order a few times, but man am I glad I didn't. This guitar rocks. It's a beautiful looking guitar and the neck is a joy to play. Tone and sound is so subjective, but all of those positive words that we use to describe a P90 loaded Les Paul fit this guitar perfectly.

The neck is straight, the headstock is finished perfectly, the frets are dressed nicely, the joints and the inlays are all clean. Man...this guitar is just a wonderful looking and feeling instrument. I like the thin nitro finishes that have been coming on some guitars for a few years now. I know the whole thin nitro finish vibe was originally just a way to cut costs, but I prefer this kind of finish. I like seeing that wood grain underneath, even if the wood isn't all that figured. I also like the way that this kind of finish feels.

I've been playing the guitar for over 20 years now and know that I'm a Strat or Super Strat player. I've always had a Les Paul, whether it be an Epi or Gibby version, in my collection just because [smile] but I've never really vibed with one like I do with my favorite Fender and Jackson guitars. So, over the years, LPs have come and gone, but I will be keeping this Les Paul.

Everything just came together I guess...great finish and great tone, plus I've found out that what I needed in a Les Paul all those years was this 60's style neck carve! From reading theads on this guitar here, I've got one of those "butcher block" bodies. My LP body is a four piece and frankly I was a bit concerned about that. But as I was strumming open chords and just noodling around with the guitar before I plugged her in...that thick and resonant unplugged tone that she was giving me sold me on this guitar right there. Unplugged, this guitar has got that "pop."

Anyway...judging by that "new guitar smell" that nitro finish is probably still curing! I look forward to playing this guitar in the coming years because I think she's just going to get better and better. The quality checklist for my guitar shows that she was checked out on 2/17/2011...not quite a week ago!

My only gripe is that Gibby didn't include a hardshell case for this guitar. I guess that at this price point including the hardshell just doesn't work out; Fender doesn't ship their Highway 1 series in a hard case. This guitar looks and sounds to good to just stay home all the time and the included softshell bag just won't cut it. Don't know if I'm going to get a Gibby case...maybe I'll try to catch one during a guitar accessories blow out...

Anyway...my 60's Tribute Les Paul is a fantastic playing, looking, and sounding instrument. Well worth the money and the wait. If you're wanting to get one, I say that you take that plunge.[biggrin] You can always return it, or, judging by current ebay auctions you could also ebay it and probably get your money back, especially if you're willing to ship overseas.

DSC02479.jpg

DSC02478.jpg

DSC02476.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02474.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

I just saw a GT at Guitar Center this weekend. Actually, they had one in each colour. I asked the rep how long the GT had been there, since it seems these are getting snapped up pretty fast, he said a few days. I pulled it down and it was easy to see why. The rep and I talked about them and I told him how happy I was with mine and I was lucky to get a 2-piece symmetrical body... as "this one looks like it's 2-piece, but off center". No wait, it's a 3 piece... well whaddya know, it's a 4-piece... well holy **** what's that? It was a, wait for it... FIVE PIECE body!!! The rep couldn't even believe it and we had a laugh over it. No only that, the top looked absolutely awful. It was more green than gold. Basically it looked like they didn't put enough gold coats over the green to cover it up. Just terrible. So watch out for these things when rushing to use your 15% off coupons for GC online! Crap now that I think about it I should have taken a pic.

My dealer had one (Honeyburst) with a 7-piece body!!!

3 and 4-piece bodys are petty common. It's a buget

LP. They're not going to used the best 1-piece bodies,

for a guitar in this price range. Although, there are

a (very) few 1-piece bodies out there. If that's the major

consideration, you'll need to go for an R-6, and

pony up the coin, for it. Or, find a nice clean

recent LP Deluxe, used, and install P-90's, in it.

My '50's Gold-Top, is a 4-piece, but nicely done. The tone, is to

"Die for!"

My '60's Gold-Top. is a very nice center seamed 2-piece body. It's

tone, is amazing, as well. So, the number of pieces, in the body,

really doesn't seem to affect the tone, or playability. Mine are

both very "lively," unplugged, too. Lots of natural resonance, and

sustain...no matter the number of body pieces.

'50's body back (4-piece)

DSC_0012-1.jpg

'60's body back (2-piece)

DSC_0046.jpg

Both have decent tops.

DSC_0049.jpg

CB

They are starting to crop up in my area also... Yesterday, at GC, I played a Blackie, and an amazing GoldTop--

But I was after this one and got it--cool berg white(haha)..

Every time I look at the little worn spots I chuckle a bit.

It didn't even factor in- because the guitar is so spot-on cool..

I remember an axe like this on the back cover of Ted Greene's book- Chord Chemistry, but it might have had a trapeeze tail..

I don't know if part of the worn is on the headstock as well- but everyone I saw had a sheckle of some sort minor

gnarrled out the headstock...nothing major- a scrape, a chip.. etc.. No big deal- but so unnecessary..

In person, the GoldTop was scarily amazing- I'm glad to have not seen a HoneyBurst yet..

Although Wildwood has about 7 of them right down the street!!

I restrung/ stretched in some new D'Adario strings, got a bit more than the twisty tie factory wrap on it that gibson does??- lemon oiled the fretboard--

The tuner action feels great, the neck profile is, as someone mentioned, a bit more rounded than my 2005 standard 60's.

I'm reminded of the sonex or similar?

The weight is great and it has a snap and resonance played unplugged-

berg3.jpg

Another option would be to drop P94s into any humbucker LP. In fact, that's just what I'll be doing to my desertburst '03 Studio Plus, but only in the neck position. Bought a new gold/black P94R for $90 (GC sale). Pretty inexpensive way to get to the P90 sound if humbuckers have become boring, or if you've got duplication.

Anyone know of any music stores in the U.S. that has a new Gold Top 50's or 60's Tribute L.P. in stock? Or a mint used one for a decent price? I missed out on the 50's tribute and looks like the 60's Tribute has come and gone! :( I really want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Shawn

Anyone know of any music stores in the U.S. that has a new Gold Top 50's or 60's Tribute L.P. in stock? Or a mint used one for a decent price? I missed out on the 50's tribute and looks like the 60's Tribute has come and gone! :( I really want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Shawn

Good luck on the brand new 50's Tribute Goldtop. Musicians Friend is still taking orders for the 60s Tribute, if you want to try there. That's how I got mine and she a beaut.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar?sku=H71142

Thanks,

Shawn

Did you check Sweetwater?

Did you check Sweetwater?

Yeah I tried there and everywhere and still no luck. :(

If any of you guys happen to see one in the local guitar store, let me know so I can order it.

Thanks,

Shawn

Yeah I tried there and everywhere and still no luck. :(

If any of you guys happen to see one in the local guitar store, let me know so I can order it.

Thanks,

Shawn

I don't know where you are located, but the Gold Top I saw was at a Guitar Center-

it seems as if random guitar centers have a spattering of these available, but they

are not listed or advertised as far as I can tell. it might be worth it to use the store locator,

make some calls and see if they will ship?

Also, Wildwood has them listed as coming soon, and being the huge store they have become- they will probably get a banana

boats worth in-- when they hit..

Good Luck!

Apparently I have to "prove" I received my Goldtop (from MF last Friday) so here goes... perfect in every respect except a paint/finish flaw where the neck joins the body on the top left. Although it's accentuated in the photo and not really too noticeable in person.

You can see that it looks right at home in my ancient LP case I acquired in 1969 for a '63 Melody Maker I purchased for $125. Can anyone date the case? From sites I've looked at, it appears to be around 1960.

Trying it out tonight with my band and really looking forward to it. BTW, what kind of music and what amps are people here using? I play through a Peavey Classic 30, '66 Fender Super Reverb and a Musicman 112. For me, it's perfect for old jump blues, old rock and rockabilly. Anyone else?

post-31145-031015600 1299008138_thumb.jpg

post-31145-019782400 1299008414_thumb.jpg

post-31145-051654800 1299008529_thumb.jpg

post-31145-085221500 1299008540_thumb.jpg

Hey guy's looks like I may have gotten lucky! I called the music store where I got my Epi. Ace and they said they have 10 of them on order 8 are already sold and they were taking $100.00 deposits on the other two. So I paid the deposit and they said they are expecting them in as early as the end of the week, next week at the latest so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get them in. I'll post back when I hear something.

Shawn

Hi Charlie Brown, how does the neck on the 50's compare to the 60's tribute? I have a 50's tribute and did not think I would like thicker necks, I always played thinner Strats, but the 50's is extremely comfortable and I think I'm starting to like it more than the thinner Strat! Then the 60's tribute had to come along and get me second guessing myself, lol! I've read on other forums that the two necks were real close in feel. With you owning both I think you could give us a real good comparison!There are probably quite a few other people who would like to know as well.

Thanks,

Mark

I went into the local Sam Ash to see if they had any in stock. They didn't have a 60's tribute in any color in the store. I told my salesman that online they show the Gold tops would be available 2/27/11. He called the warehouse, they got an allotment of 5 GT's, 3 were sold and 2 available...Well make that 1 available now. I should have my new GT possibly this Friday, but he said no later than next Monday.

He said the Honey burst and other colors were available still.

Although, there are

a (very) few 1-piece bodies out there.

Have you held one of these apocryphal beasts with your own hands and seen it with your own eyes? I don't think they exist. Well let me qualify that by saying that some special prototype, or one made specifically for NAMM, or one made by someone's buddy at Gibson etc doesn't count :) My local dealer as well as the guy at GC told me that Gibson doesn't make *any* 1-piece body guitars anymore except out of the Custom shop. I looked at about 8 LP Standards and a few SG standards and a '61 reissue at their shop and they were all 2-piece bodies. Some of the seams are so well done that they are literally impossible to see without inspecting the back edge with a strong light and even a magnifying glass. I thought up until a few weeks ago when starting to post on these forums that my '05 SG Classic was a 1 piece. It turned out it's a 2-piece split down the middle. There is no evidence whatsoever of it on the back or the top and there is no telltale "line" whatsoever on the back edge underneath the strap button. In fact the grain was matched so well it was only after looking under a strong light and observing that the "waves" from the left side were skewed by about 1mm from the "waves" on the right side that I was able to tell... and it was so seamless that I still couldn't believe it, but it has to be. It's a 2-piece, but really really well done.

So I'm starting to see a pattern and maybe all of you guys who own these '60's Tributes can chime in. Looks like if on the original box it says it was shipped from something like "USA Finished Goods Inv", then you're going to get a butcher block, but if it was shipped from an actual person's name, then it's a nice 2-piece split down the middle. I've only seen 3 in person (one is mine) and a couple online where I was able to see the original box and they all support this. It seems the ones sent by a "person" go to local independent music stores and the others are from GC and MF type places. Also I'd be curious to see if the date it was made on has anything to do with it. I don't remember exactly, but I think mine was made in Jan 2011 sometime, I can confirm when I get home. Also I think I've done enough talking to merit me posting some pics of my own so I'm gonna try and get some of those up soon, but here's what I got for now (it's the one on the right ;))

IMG_20110227_011403.jpg

Archived