Gibson Brands Forums

60's Tribute Les Paul Studio

xxx

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both the '50's and '60's Tribute LP (Gold Tops), and the '50's has the pointers, and the '60's does Not! Might be one other spec, they changed, besides "caps, and neck shape/thickness. Either that, or they'll need to be sending several of us replacement "pointers." ;>)

CB

I was in a store over the weekend that had 2 of them, same place I got mine, and neither of them had pointers. Those were 60's Tributes, but not Goldtops. Dunno if that makes a difference. It also clearly states on the website that these have Switchraft toggle switches. I contend that they do not, unless Gibson has had Switchcraft run a special batch of cheaper switches for them or something. First giveaway is the cheap "plated cast metal" look and feel to the toggle. Second is how it doesn't "spring" into position as solidly while switching. Mine's already starting to cut out a little. I unscrewed it to have a look, and sure enough no "Switchcraft" logo and it had the phillips head screws holding the fiberboard together as opposed to the hex screws which are the only type I've seen on Switchcrafts. It looked and felt identical to the Epiphone switch I just replaced out of my 66 Wilshire reissue (except that actually had "Epiphone" stamped on it!).

Switchcraft toggles have a sturdy, machined look and feel to them. I bought a replacement "Genuine Gibson" toggle switch over the weekend and it was the "real" Switchcraft type with stamped Switchcraft logo, rugged steel construction and the hex bolts. I guess Gibson doesn't use "Genuine Gibson" parts in their guitars? :(

And forgive my ignorance, but aren't P90's in a Goltop specifically 50's spec? I've never seen or heard of a 60's Goldtop with P90's, but that's not saying much as I have limited knowledge of what was specific to what era exactly.

And forgive my ignorance, but aren't P90's in a Goltop specifically 50's spec? I've never seen or heard of a 60's Goldtop with P90's, but that's not saying much as I have limited knowledge of what was specific to what era exactly.

I'm not an "all wise" Gibson person, but I can say that I know that they made at least one year (1968) with P90's in the 60's and that another little cool thing is that it didn't have a bound fretboard either. They look almost identical to the 60's Tribute, which are just stunning for the price, built in America, and sound fantastic too!

~Brant

How is the finish on the LPs? My SG that just came in was horrendous and was sent back - had dirt under the satin coat, huge streak of clear coat in the wood that tried white, dents on the back of the guitar out of the box. Unbelievable. Pix in the SG section under 60s Tribute SG. I have a black one coming now, it plays and sounds amazing so there is hope!

I have both the '50's and '60's Tribute LP (Gold Tops), and the '50's has the pointers, and the '60's does Not! Might be one other spec, they changed, besides "caps, and neck shape/thickness. Either that, or they'll need to be sending several of us replacement "pointers." ;>)

CB

FYI -

I call Gibson yesterday and told them that my Studio 60's Tribute Les Paul did not come with the metal control pointers as their web site shows.

After I gave the Gibson rep my guitar serial numbers they told me that they will be sending me the missing metal control pointers

How is the finish on the LPs? My SG that just came in was horrendous and was sent back - had dirt under the satin coat, huge streak of clear coat in the wood that tried white, dents on the back of the guitar out of the box. Unbelievable. Pix in the SG section under 60s Tribute SG. I have a black one coming now, it plays and sounds amazing so there is hope!

I've got a Goldtop and the finish is nice. Flawless colour-wise but, yes, it does have some tiny lint/dust/dirt specks in the finish. You can only really tell by running your palm over it or looking very closely. It's there, but I wouldn't say it detracts from the look of the guitar at all. I was planning on polishing out the top anyways so it's not so much an issue for me.

I just got my GT today and the finish is almost flawless--for a worn finish. It isn't well filled, but it is very nice for what it is. I got a two piece back. Plays better than my traditional and I have yet to even change the strings. Seems half as light as my traditional too. Love the P90 sound. Just saw Social D last Friday and I was wanting a GT with P90's like Mike Ness. Mine sounds better!

CJ

FYI -

I call Gibson yesterday and told them that my Studio 60's Tribute Les Paul did not come with the metal control pointers as their web site shows.

After I gave the Gibson rep my guitar serial numbers they told me that they will be sending me the missing metal control pointers

Maybe they're gettin wise. This didn't work for me. I called today and the rep just asked for my email and said "I'll check and see if the spec changed and get back to you." He only asked for my first name and email. Nothing about the serial number or any other info. Didn't sound hopeful, but we'll see.

Maybe they're gettin wise. This didn't work for me. I called today and the rep just asked for my email and said "I'll check and see if the spec changed and get back to you." He only asked for my first name and email. Nothing about the serial number or any other info. Didn't sound hopeful, but we'll see.

I would follow through, Gibson web site shows their 60's tribute with pointers all except the honey burst model -

I had a honey burst on order, but cancelled it. The reviews I've read so far are very inconsistent. It seems some guys get a well made, good sounding guitar, and some don't. I have never owned a Gibson guitar, and the reports of inconsistent, sometimes shoddy workmanship, are the reason why. I'm going to wait and see if the reviews become more positive as more of these guitars enter the market.

I had a honey burst on order, but cancelled it. The reviews I've read so far are very inconsistent. It seems some guys get a well made, good sounding guitar, and some don't. I have never owned a Gibson guitar, and the reports of inconsistent, sometimes shoddy workmanship, are the reason why. I'm going to wait and see if the reviews become more positive as more of these guitars enter the market.

I've had two of these (sold one). They were both perfect. Nothing inconsistent from what I've seen...maybe others have a different experience. (Have another Gibson that's perfect, also.)

Yeah, I'm still on the fence on if I'm going to keep my spot in line or not. I'm #6 in line at Musicians Friend and getting tired of waiting for my Goldtop. But, then again; it's a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop with P90s for less that a grand. Can't go wrong with that.

Quality wise, I won't know til I ever get it. I do know the quality of my Faded SG though even if I did get it used. I like the tuners because they're the same. Plus, if it does need work; I'll get it done locally since I've been waiting so long.

Flawless colour-wise but, yes, it does have some tiny lint/dust/dirt specks in the finish.

Switchcraft or not. Pots are cheap too, stamped Gibson, but they look like re-branded Alphas to me. Capacitors are junk little blue candy dots and the cavity is bare wood with no RFI protection. Didn't the 50's Tributes have Sprague Orange Drops at least? All this can be upgraded of course (and I will), so it wasn't a deal breaker. The edge of the neck in places has quite a few rough file marks on it, and the heel of the neck joint has some pretty bad sander scarring. Had to look close for that but it's there. I will add though that the back of the neck playing area, headstock, and gold top finish itself were flawless. The included gig bag is a joke, it's the same type you'd get in one of those beginner guitar boxed packages.
First giveaway is the cheap "plated cast metal" look and feel to the toggle. Second is how it doesn't "spring" into position as solidly while switching. Mine's already starting to cut out a little.

These are a few of the comments I read here that gave me pause. I understand that many are pleased with their 60's Tribute. That's what I call "inconsistency."

I've owned over the years about a dozen Gibsons & never seen shoddy workmanship in any of them. Sure, sometimes if you look *very* closely you'll see where the nitrocellulose doesn't quite cover the entire body (usually about half a millimeter where it joins the neck) but apart from that their reputation is well earned & they're justifiably proud of it & want to keep it that way...

Guess it all depends on how you define "shoddy." Since the days when Gibson stopped marking guitars as seconds, almost anything might get shoved out the factory doors & sent to a dealer. Flawed finishes & fretwork are very common. A couple of weekends ago I played one of the $999 LP Specials at GC. Neck angle was off to the extent that there was absolutely no downward bridge adjustment available. Twisted necks are one of the first things I look for these days since they too seem to occur regularly. This is not to say that Gibson can't build a first rate guitar. They do, and I own ten of them. But it certainly is wise to play before you pay.

Definition of "shoddy": Made of, or containing inferior material. Of poor quality or craft.

I'm sure Gibson makes some guitars that are top of the line. Guitars that anyone would be hard pressed to find fault with. But in reading Gibson owners comments and reviews, it appears that some less than stellar examples make their way into the market as well.

I have toured the Martin guitar factory in Nazareth, PA a couple of times. Once I asked an employee if there were "Martin seconds." She said, "Yes, they're in the dumpster out back." I'll rest my case with that.

I have a goldtop on order through Musician's Friend but got a little nervous after hearing issues with workmanship. My local GC had a honeyburst (my second favorite color of the 60's tribute)that they just got in. It looked an played great. The neck is a little "rounded" but fit my hands great. No problems with finish at all. The only "issue" is that that you can see it is a two piece back. Not wanting to risk getting a goldtop lemon, I purchased the honeyburst. I really couldn't pass it up. They allowed me to use a 15% off President's Day coupon and gave me $30 credit for the crappy gig bag I didn't want. Total was $692 before taxes. Had to have it for that!

Crappy iPhone pic attached!

post-30318-081930200 1298379132_thumb.jpg

Hello to everyone. I'm new to the forum and I want to thank everyone for posting information about their new 60's tribute. I currently have a GT on order and my local guitar center has a shipment of 4 coming in soon (one of each color except white). I'll get the phone call as soon as they are in. I told my contact to put aside a GT and HB. I can't wait. I've been gassing way to much lately cause I just bought a Epiphone Masterbilt DM-500M and a 2005 Gibson LP Jr (VSB)with a gloss finish. After reading this thread I went and ordered the 60's tribute. I usually play Fender, but I've always wanted a GT so I ordered one. LOL. Can anyone give me an idea of what they sound like and what type of amp you're playing through? Thanks!

Steve

Hello,

I called GC to find out the status of my GT and the rep told me that they are already discontinued on their site. He told me that I'm # 26 in line to get one and that they should get enough to fill all pre orders. The next big shipment from Gibson will be 3/31. So I guess these are very limited like the 50's tribute. I hope i get one and good luck to all who pre-ordered.

j

They have a nice thick warm tone with a lot of punch, My LP sounds great through my vox ac15 and fender vibrolux!

j

Hello to everyone. I'm new to the forum and I want to thank everyone for posting information about their new 60's tribute. I currently have a GT on order and my local guitar center has a shipment of 4 coming in soon (one of each color except white). I'll get the phone call as soon as they are in. I told my contact to put aside a GT and HB. I can't wait. I've been gassing way to much lately cause I just bought a Epiphone Masterbilt DM-500M and a 2005 Gibson LP Jr (VSB)with a gloss finish. After reading this thread I went and ordered the 60's tribute. I usually play Fender, but I've always wanted a GT so I ordered one. LOL. Can anyone give me an idea of what they sound like and what type of amp you're playing through? Thanks!

Steve

Archived