Gibson Brands Forums

On the hunt...

guitargreg1993

Hey everyone!! Currently I'm on the hunt for a good tube amp; looking for something I can use both at home and small gigs... price range is between $400-$500. Any suggestions?

I'm interested in:

-Blackheart Lil' Giant

-Blackstar HT-5

-VHT Special 6

Also interested in the new Marshall Class 5 head and 2x12 cab but idk when it is gonna be available or if it will be in my price range....

**Yesterday I played the Blackstar... I really like it. Haven't had a chance to play either the VHT or Blackheart but with the Blackstar I really like how it has the 2 separate channels; the cleans sound pretty good and the overdrive is nothing short of AMAZING!! [thumbup]

Blues Juniors are always a great amp to check out at least. They are fantastic for cleans, as is characteristic for Fenders. Its my next guitar related purchase hands down, though I need to start making some money first! Fantastic amps for the money, might do you well to go check one out in depth.

Jet City is a great brand to look into. The 20W head and cab can be had for $315 online...and you have extra cash for a pedal or whatever you want.

The Blues Junior is good too as is the Peavey Classic series.

BTW Jet City has a new 20W head out with reverb and effects loop which should be right in your budget. Check their website. When I said 315 I meant the old version with no reverb or effects loop. I love mine.

I looked around a bit...

I wonder if one of the new Fender Mustang II amps that can emulate (to a degree) some tube amps may not be an excellent bang for the buck.

m

I tried one out before I bought my handsome devil. hated the thing. sounds awefull comepared to the HD

All great choices - I have the Blues Jnr and it is a great little amp. Do check out the Laney valve amps too, the tonal quality is quite something

Another option is to contact Droge (who posts here) as he makes valve amps and from what I understand reasonably priced!

Matt

You could buy a real nice vintage Fender Champ for the amount you mentioned.

The Marshall Class 5 combo would be another fine choice.

I totally agree.

I owned a Blackheart, and now own a 1976 Fender Champ Silverface and it's so much better.

Blackstar HT 5 screams to much imho.

I totally agree.

I owned a Blackheart, and now own a 1976 Fender Champ Silverface and it's so much better.

I've got a Blackheart Little Giant with a Celestion G12M Heritage Greenback speaker in it. With treble booster and blues driver pedals it's great for early 70's Clapton/Cream. Very loud for only 5 watts.

Well the only VHT dealer that I know around Chicago is in St Charles....Leaping Lyrics.

hmmm well st. charles is about an hour drive from where I live... im not sure id be very willing to drive that far just to play the amp (especially if i had to drive back a second time to buy it!! [scared] ) I'm pretty sure there's a VHT dealer somewhere in the Kenosha, WI area which would only be 30-45 min away. But then again, if I played one and loved it but didn't take it home for some reason, i'd just order it online and have it shipped to my house. Then I also wouldn't have to pay tax on it (hope the IRS isn't reading this lol) [biggrin]

You could buy a real nice vintage Fender Champ for the amount you mentioned.

oooo that sounds like a good option [thumbup] i looked on gbase and there's an abundance of 70's champs for around $350-400.... how much do you think it would cost to convert it to a head?? jw...

All great choices - I have the Blues Jnr and it is a great little amp. Do check out the Laney valve amps too, the tonal quality is quite something

Another option is to contact Droge (who posts here) as he makes valve amps and from what I understand reasonably priced!

Matt

thanks man... could I get some more info on Laney?? What series, models, etc. should I look into?

what do you mean by "it screams too much"? like it has feedback issues or it costs too much? [confused]

badblues....

For me, that Deluxe Reverb... #$%#$%$#%@#$%@

Given that even then it could double in a small venue for guitar and voice, was plenty loud for anywhere I was...

Dumb, dumb, dumb to dump it for something bigger and "better" I didn't need then and certainly don't need now. I still have it but it stays at home.

m

I tried one out before I bought my handsome devil. hated the thing. sounds awefull comepared to the HD

Then you weren't doing it right, put simply.

Did you try just the pre-installed sounds? Because those were pretty muddy to begin with.

It's when you modify the treble, bass, and gain that the tone overrides the presets and becomes nice and clean and gives you a lot to work with.

Did you try a Mustang I or a Mustang II? I'm interested now.

Archived