Gibson Brands Forums

I love my 339

57classic

Every time I play my 339 I am amazed! The range of tones blows me away. The complexity of harmonics is indescribable. Sounds that I have been trying to get for years on other guitars, including a 2001 LP Classic w/57 & 57+ which I sold to get the 339, I finally can. I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure I'll get a LP Standard for the tone, maybe just because I love them. I know the 339 isn't a LP but it is a lot that the LP isn't. I posted this because only those who have 339's and play them would understand the way I feel about this guitar.

Every time I play my 339 I am amazed! The range of tones blows me away. The complexity of harmonics is indescribable. Sounds that I have been trying to get for years on other guitars, including a 2001 LP Classic w/57 & 57+ which I sold to get the 339, I finally can. I'm getting to the point where I'm not sure I'll get a LP Standard for the tone, maybe just because I love them. I know the 339 isn't a LP but it is a lot that the LP isn't. I posted this because only those who have 339's and play them would understand the way I feel about this guitar.

I hear ya 57classic.

Can't get enough of my 339.

Love my LP's too, just different.

Went from LPs to SGs to hollowbodies, including a 339. LPs now seem rather boring, although I've kept them (as well as the SGs) as they do offer something different. Seems like if you've got a guitar you once really liked, it's better to keep it if at all possible, as that particular mood may come around again from time to time.

Went from LPs to SGs to hollowbodies, including a 339. LPs now seem rather boring, although I've kept them (as well as the SGs) as they do offer something different. Seems like if you've got a guitar you once really liked, it's better to keep it if at all possible, as that particular mood may come around again from time to time.

I agree with you but my Les Paul, although beautiful and good to play, never had that certain something. I changed amps, tubes and pickups and I could never find IT with that guitar.

I agree 100%. I have to force myself to play my other guitars. My 339 just sounds good played so many different ways. I started taking lessons to learn to play lead better. I have always been a chord guy and needed to advance. My instructor and the owner of the local music store played my 339 and both were wowed by it. something magical about that model.

Ha! I just responded to your other thread and mentioned that I was 5'8" which is the reason I got the 339. Then I read your post here. Too funny.

I love my 339! The Memphis Tone Circuit is very sweet and it's a very versatile guitar. I love getting that fat BB King tone of it. Congrats dponzi on your new 339. You'll love it more as you play it more. I love the antique red finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear what you're saying bro'. I have the cousin to the ES-339, i.e. the CS-336, and I find the same thing with this guitar as you were saying about

your ES-339. [thumbup] Keep on playin'.

• 3 months later...

I hear what you're saying bro'. I have the cousin to the ES-339, i.e. the CS-336, and I find the same thing with this guitar as you were saying about

your ES-339. [thumbup] Keep on playin'.

I've had my 339 for three months now and I hardly play my other guitars now. I agree with other posters in saying that the sounds I get from the es-339 are sounds and tones I've been looking for, for a long time. I've got them now. This is an awesome, awesome guitar. I start playing it and literally can't stop. When I have a limited time to play, I use my Les Paul, knowingt that I'll end up running late if I start with my 339.

Yes, the 339 is that good. I can't believe my LP is now my backup guitar.

I have actually sold my 89 LP (my Number 1)that you see as my avatar. On a lark, I was looking over eBay for bargains one late night and saw an ES-339 cherry for the "BIK" price of $1499.00. I knew it was a bit high but, the guitar came with all of the case candy and something just made me pull the trigger that night. I spent about a week worrying about the guitar arriving with a headstock crack or just not being in the same condition as it was advertised.

The guitar arrived at 8pm on a Thursday evening. It was still cold here in New York but, the anticipation wouldn't allow me to wait a few hours for the guitar to reach room temperature. I opened the guitar case and was immediately hit with that "New Guitar Smell". Even though the guitar is a 2007, the previous owner stated he bought the guitar as an investment that he now knew would not escalate the way he planned. It was stored in the case in a temperature controlled room.

From the moment I took the guitar in my hands and tuned it I have not really put it down. It is the type of guitar that you find yourself doodling on while watching your favorite TV show. I have used it for rehearsals and shows and have not been disappointed. I have replaced the tuners with Gold Grovers. I have also replaced the bridge and tailpiece with Gibson TP-6 and ABR-1 both in gold. I will be replacing the pickup covers with gold ones in the near future.

The big transition has been that this ES-339 has made me re-think my tone. I used a Fender Twin Reverb from 1979-2004. I then moved to a Line 6, Flextone (both with Les Pauls) for the amp modeling. Now with the acquisition of the ES-339 I have gone back yo Fender. I have purchased a 70's silverface "MusicMaster" bass amp which supplies my power. I picked up a new "Champ XD" because it does use tubes but has a great Fender sound in it's modeling arsenal. So, I plug the ES-339 directly into the Champ. From the line out of the Champ I go into the MusicMaster so the exact modeling sound is amplified through the Music Master. Live, both guitars are mic'd left and right which gives me a very rich and wide sound. Although, some clubs which have larger stages, I do have some problems hearing my guitar from the amps, it sounds wonderful through the monitors, mixed in with the rest of the band...

Archived