Gibson Brands Forums

Best Prices for New Gibson's

Pickax

Here is someone who did not play it smart. $2,200 for a used Gibson J-45TV. A different used J-45TV just sold the other day for the same price on another Guitar web site that many of us frequent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - E.M. Shorts, in Wichita, Kansas, has the best prices in the country for new Gibson's. They can order you a J-45TV from Bozeman for $2,200. If you live outside of Kansas, there is no sales tax. Yes, a brand new, out of the box J-45TV with a Gibson Warranty for $2,200. They are a small shop operation with a great staff. Excellent customer service. I have no financial interest with this business. I'm only sharing this to help people avoid the above mistakes. Before you buy, give them a call. Happy hunting!

Here is someone who did not play it smart. $2,200 for a used Gibson J-45TV. A different used J-45TV just sold the other day for the same price on another Guitar web site that many of us frequent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - E.M. Shorts, in Wichita, Kansas, has the best prices in the country for new Gibson's. They can order you a J-45TV from Bozeman for $2,200. If you live outside of Kansas, there is no sales tax. Yes, a brand new, out of the box J-45TV with a Gibson Warranty for $2,200. They are a small shop operation with a great staff. Excellent customer service. I have no financial interest with this business. I'm only sharing this to help people avoid the above mistakes. Before you buy, give them a call. Happy hunting!

Yep, I just heard back from them this morning about a Gibson J-45 TV - $2,200 plus shipping/$450 deposit and they'll order one for you - best price I've found on one - didn't give me a time frame on delivery though...

Seems like a nice enough place...

The time frame is dependent on whether Gibson has some finished ones to ship or if they have to build. I think a week or less on the short side and perhaps 3 weeks on the long side. If you have to wait a few weeks to get one, it's well worth ($$) the wait IMO. E.M. Shorts will give you a trial period and will stand behind the sale.

God forbid you should decide to sell a Gibson you paid top dollar for and took care of, right? Let's say you forked over 2800.00 for a new Gibson, kept it a couple of years, broke it in, maybe made some upgrades, babied it while enjoying it and then needed to, or decided to sell. What's a fair amount for you to lose on your guitar? 1K? 1500.00? Just curious... Considering how many of us on here on this forum move our guitars around either out of necessity or to acquire more, I'm not really sure your advice is friendly when you're basically suggesting someone is "making a mistake" for buying our used gear without a warranty in favor of the guys in Kansas. Just my 2 cents.

God forbid you should decide to sell a Gibson you paid top dollar for and took care of, right? Let's say you forked over 2800.00 for a new Gibson, kept it a couple of years, broke it in, maybe made some upgrades, babied it while enjoying it and then needed to, or decided to sell. What's a fair amount for you to lose on your guitar? 1K? 1500.00? Just curious... Considering how many of us on here on this forum move our guitars around either out of necessity or to acquire more, I'm not really sure your advice is friendly when you're basically suggesting someone is "making a mistake" for buying our used gear without a warranty in favor of the guys in Kansas. Just my 2 cents.

Now that's an interesting take I was not expecting. Why would you want to pay top dollar - say $2800 for a new J-45TV when you can get one for $2200? Down the road if you decide you don't like it, want something else, need to sell, etc, you don't take a bath on the sale. The person who buys it could pick it up for around fifty percent off the MSRP - where the price should be for a used one. Yes, directing people to where they can buy a new Guitar with a warranty for less than a used (non vintage) one of the same kind, is friendly advice. If you decide to pay full retail for a Guitar, you take your chances on seeing a loss when you sell it. If I paid $2800 for a new J-45TV, I'd expect to take a hit of 1k. That wouldn't happen though because I wouldn't pay full retail knowing I could get it for $600 less.

Now I see where you are coming from - just saw you ad in the classifieds for a J -45TV for an asking price of $2500. Looks like you sold it and congratulations on the sale.

And if you live on the other side of the pond then Thomann.de is probably your best bet.

Yes indeed, but it's quite complicated if you're trying to buy from one country using money from another... ](*,) Or rather it isn't complicated according to the (very friendly and helpful) people at Thomann, just it doesn't work because of bank security. Thomann have things set up well, I think, and the bank are right to be proactive against ID theft. But somewhere along the line it becomes hard to buy a guitar. And no chance of the said model at that price... Woody all the way, then, if I can only place my order!!!

PS. I know you wouldn't buy without trying EA, but I'm not going to be able to do the sort of trip to Germany that you seem to manage. The journey from southern Hungary is at least two and a half hours longer than from Prague, and I have no time this side of the year 2020, by which time the Woody will probably be no more. Try finding one anywhere other than Thomann... Fingers crossed, then.

Thomann is probably one place i would possibly buy unplayed as they have a 30 day return policy, no questions asked, and are a pleasure to work with. I also bougth with them online probably also 10 times now and have never had any issue.

Yes indeed, but it's quite complicated if you're trying to buy from one country using money from another... ](*,) Or rather it isn't complicated according to the (very friendly and helpful) people at Thomann, just it doesn't work because of bank security. Thomann have things set up well, I think, and the bank are right to be proactive against ID theft. But somewhere along the line it becomes hard to buy a guitar. And no chance of the said model at that price... Woody all the way, then, if I can only place my order!!!

PS. I know you wouldn't buy without trying EA, but I'm not going to be able to do the sort of trip to Germany that you seem to manage. The journey from southern Hungary is at least two and a half hours longer than from Prague, and I have no time this side of the year 2020, by which time the Woody will probably be no more. Try finding one anywhere other than Thomann... Fingers crossed, then.

Yep, I just heard back from them this morning about a Gibson J-45 TV - $2,200 plus shipping/$450 deposit and they'll order one for you - best price I've found on one - didn't give me a time frame on delivery though...

Seems like a nice enough place...

You mentioned on another thread that Fuller's was willing to match the price EM Shorts offered. Did Fuller's initially try to sell you one at the MAP? If so, and if they followed up with an offer to match a price - that's an interesting but certainly not unique sales approach. EM Shorts never mentioned a MAP, they just look up a particular Guitar and they tell you what they want for it. No game playing involved.

Every brand new Gibson (4) I bought, I bought from Fullers. If memory serves me, they were usually around 40% off list. Combine that with the free shipping and 7 day approval period, Fullers was my go to retailer. Now that their Gibson inventory is no longer visible on the web, I find myself paying more attention to vintage models. Jeremy Fuller is good people. I would buy a guitar from him again.

DSC00829.jpg

Actually, that's an older pic. The j45 TV Ltd. Ed. is gone now. This is current:

DSC00993.jpg

Top Row: 2007 J185 TV; 1953 SJ; 1951 J45; 2004 Western Classic

Bottom Row: 1963 Martin 0-16NY; 2007 Jackson Browne/Roy Smeck Prototype; 2010 12 Fret SJ; 2006 OJ; Recording KIng ROS 627

You mentioned on another thread that Fuller's was willing to match the price EM Shorts offered. Did Fuller's initially try to sell you one at the MAP? If so, and if they followed up with an offer to match a price - that's an interesting but certainly not unique sales approach. EM Shorts never mentioned a MAP, they just look up a particular Guitar and they tell you what they want for it. No game playing involved.

Fuller's did quote me a low price initially - just not as low as E.B. Shorts - and then they were willing to match it - no problem - especially since E.M. Shorts' price was super low...

Beautiful collection, jannusguy2!

Thanks! Looking for one more little Martin and then I think I'm finished.

PS-sorry for the thread hi jack. I was going to hold forth on value and pricing but I lost my train of thought. Suffice it to say, sometimes a guitar comes along without a warranty that you just can't say no to and you can't get just anywhere. There are a few of those in the attached pics...

And I found it today! 1918 Martin 0-21. One owner, super clean and unmolested.. Adirondack red spruce top and Brazilian Rosewood back/sides. It arrives tomorrow for approval. No warranty.

Congrats, jannusguy2, she looks beautiful in the pic...

I was wondering about the same thing as Mojorule - 1918/one owner???!!??

And if you live on the other side of the pond then Thomann.de is probably your best bet.

This Kansas shop comes at £ 1,364 with todays exchange rate. Thomans price is £ 1,938.75. That's almost a saving of £600....

Almost worth a trip to the States...

[thumbup]

Jeremy Fuller is good people. I would buy a guitar from him again

+1 on this.

My Epiphone Texan USA Non Macca was bought after a handful of long distances telephone conversations with Jeremy. Turns out its the nicest Gibson I've ever owned or played!

IMG_1401.jpg

I called EM Shorts and the next guitar I could get from them will be delivered in the May-June timeframe. Not a bad wait time and the price is great (like you said, $2200), however, I'm too nervous to buy any Gibson unplayed. The piece to piece quality of Gibson guitars is uncertain at best.

The used guitar I found was within an hour's drive for me. The value of getting to actually play the guitar before buying is certainly worth something, no?

Viewed through that lens, 'playing it smart' certainly doesn't look so black and white. Rather, the smart thing to do is not let a couple hundred bucks get in between you and a great guitar.

I called EM Shorts and the next guitar I could get from them will be delivered in the May-June timeframe. Not a bad wait time and the price is great (like you said, $2200), however, I'm too nervous to buy any Gibson unplayed. The piece to piece quality of Gibson guitars is uncertain at best.

The used guitar I found was within an hour's drive for me. The value of getting to actually play the guitar before buying is certainly worth something, no?

Viewed through that lens, 'playing it smart' certainly doesn't look so black and white. Rather, the smart thing to do is not let a couple hundred bucks get in between you and a great guitar.

Playing before you buy is always ideal for both the buyer and seller. However, if playing in person means you pay the same price (or more) for a used Guitar compared to the same model you could get new and with a warranty, is not ideal in my view. YMMV. Most all of the online dealers allow a trial period so you would not be stuck with the Guitar if you thought it was not the one.

Buying a used Guitar at a price equal to or above the price of a new one is more than a couple hundred bucks difference by my calculations. [biggrin]

Interesting discussion on new vs. used prices. I've noticed a number of ads where guitars or guitar accessories are offered used by individuals at prices at or above new prices. A lot of people pay higher than best price for new items because they buy from local shops that do not discount as much as the bigger web stores. That may be a good decision on their part, because they want to play first, get the local service, or they just want to support their local store. I've done this myself on occasion. Price is not the only factor in the purchase of musical instruments or accessories. However, the advantages that may come from the higher priced local purchase usually don't transfer to the buyer of a used item sold over the internet.

I generally ignore used items selling at or above new cost, except, of course, for real vintage items, which may actually be worth more than their new counterparts (and where "vintage" is not just a euphemism for "used"). If someone can recoup their higher purchase price by selling high, then more power to them. However, people wanting a reasonably quick sale are probably better off recognizing that their purchase of an item at a higher than necessary price does not make it more valuable to the next buyer. Unfortunately, most list prices for guitars are seriously inflated, and the manufacturers try to protect their retailers by restricting open advertising of real selling prices with MAP and other restrictions on full information. It is a rather silly game, in my opinion, and disrespectful of us guitar buyers, who are quite capable of making our own decisions about relative value. The losers are probably those buyers who don't know the rules of the game yet.

Archived