Gibson Brands Forums

Took home the Delta Blues yesterday...

guitargreg1993

hey everyone, yesterday I took home a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 combo... this thing is an absolute freakin' MONSTER of an amp!! The clean tone is very warm and tube-y, and when you fire up those EL84's, it gets raw and dirty [thumbup] Very awesome vintage-sounding crunch/distortion....

Anyway, I got an awesome deal on it. $645 out the door... that's including the $40 footswitch I got that will change the channel and turn tremolo on/off, and they upgraded the tubes to premium JJ tubes, which is almost $100 worth of tubes!! Anyway, it's a killer amp and I can't wait to discover all the different tones it has to offer!! [biggrin]

I got to crank it (well not really as the volume was only on 4, but the walls of the house were shaking [scared][biggrin] ) for a little bit last night when my parents weren't home, and it was tonal bliss... the sound of the angels [thumbup]

Anyway, here's some pics:

DSC_6361.jpg

DSC_6363.jpg

mmmm... the warm glow of those EL84's... such a beautiful thing.... [biggrin]

DSC_6365.jpg

And a couple of group shots!!

DSC_6368.jpg

DSC_6370.jpg

I heard they are very loud. Can you play it at a lower volume and get any tone?

I was at a GC the other day and found a Custom 30 for $299, I think I will pick it up

Yes, they are extremely loud... I only had the volume at 4-ish and that made the walls of my living room shake lol. Luckily it still gives great tone even at really low volumes [thumbup] And if you can get a Classic 30 for $300, i'd say go for it as long as its in decent condition and it sounds good!! That's less than half the price of it new...

nice amp there gkid! now go play it like theres no tomorrow! [biggrin]

thanks man! Gotta start working more on my Gary Moore chops so I can post something!! [thumbup]

15 inch speakers add a ton of balls to an amp IMO that should sound killer man

yea, that's the reason I went for the 1x15 instead of 2x10... it sounded a lot "bigger" IMO and had a TON more bass [biggrin]

Congrats! It's xactly like mine, xcept mine's a little road worn [thumbup]

It might be time for me to change to some jj's.... I've had mine for 11 years and it ain't going nowhere.

And fyi, the control metal board gets hot but it's normal. Enjoy! [thumbup]

alright thanks man!! how hot does it usually get... like hot enough to burn my hand? [confused]

Excellent amp Gibsonkid! [thumbup]

Hey, how's it treat the Eternity Burst?

thanks!! the eternity burst sounds INCREDIBLE through it.... if you've got a little drive on the lead channel and reverb at about 4 or 5, then kick in the eternity with gain anywhere past 12 o'clock, you get a beautiful solo tone... almost like a vai/satriani type tone where it sounds like there's a lot of delay in the signal, but it's just the eternity OD!! [thumbup]

and (kinda to my surprise), the good ole Boss DS-1 doesn't sound too bad either through the Delta Blues... it gives it a nice 70's type crunch sound [biggrin]

The metal plate gets a bit hot on mine. But mine is an older model and yours may not do that (?). It doesn't matter since it's normal on mine. I also noticed your "Peavey" brand plate on the front is different than mine (yours is the newer version). Back to the "hotness", mine gets hot enough to notice.... Don't worry about it and crank it! \:D/

The metal plate gets a bit hot on mine. But mine is an older model and yours may not do that (?). It doesn't matter since it's normal on mine. I also noticed your "Peavey" brand plate on the front is different than mine (yours is the newer version). Back to the "hotness", mine gets hot enough to notice.... Don't worry about it and crank it! \:D/

alright.... rock on!! [thumbup]

\m/ [laugh] \m/

You should be able to conjure up some nice Stevie Ray Vaughan or Kenny Wayne Shepherd mojo fo sho!

ooo that would be nice... i saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd last year on the Hendrix tribute tour... that guy can really play, and he's got some pretty serious mojo goin' on!! he played "voodoo child" and it was pretty insane (in the "dude that was totally freakin awesome!!" sorta way) [thumbup]

i need to get a TS808 tube screamer, that would sound sweet... i wonder how amazing a tube screamer would sound stacked with my eternity burst?! [biggrin]

Ah now you're talking.

But you might try the Way Huge Green Rhino first.

It's a modified TS808.

I'm getting one shortly.

what about having both?? [biggrin]

nahh im kidding, i dont have that kind of money... but the green rhino probably would be a great option since i've heard it sounds killer, and its also quite a bit cheaper than a ts808 reissue [thumbup]

dude, let me tell you, i think those tube peaveys are easily the best bargain in tone out there. if i had no amp, that is problably the exact amp i would buy. and how do you like those el-84's? sweet, eh? i got a victorilux el-84 amp, and i would have no problem substituting yours for mine. i have been impressed with the sound of the peaveys to the point i'm sure there are days it would beat mine for tone.

mine is also loud, yea, too loud. what i do is run the amp with 2 tubes instead of 4 (mark bauer at victoria and the other guy tell me it is perfectly fine to do this) and run one of the 2 twelves, so, it is at 18 watts. wondering if you could as well. not that you need to. most el-84 amps are self biasing (wrong term, i know) so you could change tybes without having to reset the bias. mine came with sovteks i think, but i prefered the jj's. i ended up with eh, low powered ones, the amp likes those.

i got a few tube screamers as well, for playing around the house, might check out the ts7. they have a boost switch that is way cool for playing at the house. and that hype about vintage and botique tube screamers? yea, there are some great ones out there, but i have found that they are all different pedal to pedal, and it happens just as much that the cheaper to buy ts7 and ts10 sound just as good as anything when compared side by side and just picking the best sounding one.

dude, let me tell you, i think those tube peaveys are easily the best bargain in tone out there. if i had no amp, that is problably the exact amp i would buy. and how do you like those el-84's? sweet, eh?

yea, EL84's are swweeeettt [thumbup]

mine is also loud, yea, too loud. what i do is run the amp with 2 tubes instead of 4 (mark bauer at victoria and the other guy tell me it is perfectly fine to do this) and run one of the 2 twelves, so, it is at 18 watts. wondering if you could as well.

hmm didnt really think of that... but i dont think i'd need to do that... i can still get sweet tone at low volumes... and i can turn it up to about 4 at home, so i assume for gigs it could probably go up to about 7 or 8... or 12 [biggrin]

I did pick up that Classic 30 and WOW what a great sounding amp, and

out the door for $250.00

I never thought much of Peavey but I am a fan now.

congrats man!!! [thumbup] yea, those peaveys are freakin MONSTERS OF TONE!!! I couldn't be any happier with my Delta Blues... [biggrin]

I'd highly recommend for anyone looking for AWESOME vintage tone with sweet, creamy overdrive that only EL84's can give you [thumbup]

Archived