Gibson Brands Forums

lemon oil, what a difference it makes...

S t e v e

so as you know i got my new ibby yesterday, i noticed the fingerboard was a bit dry so today i rubbed in some lemon oil while i changed the strings from standard 9-42 to 12-60 for drop C...

this pic shows the lemon oil on up to the 12th fret...HOW DRY WAS THAT FINGERBOARD! [scared]

001.jpg

sorted [thumbup]

Did you take that pic right when you put the lemon oil on?

Cause if you did, after a while the lemon oil drys up and doesnt stay that dark.

yea iv'e used lemon oil for many yrs dem0 so i knew that already [rolleyes]

haha, yea it was straight after but you can see how dry the neck was though B)

I think that Fret Doctor is well worth the extra cost:

Before Fret Doctor

WreckedChrisIsaac027.jpg

After Fret Doctor

WreckedChrisIsaac009.jpg

Of course most guitars are not this bad. But I've tried almost every product on my fretboard and I swear by Fret Doctor. Here is a great article by Ed Boyle, owner of Fret Doctor. Note that Ed says that some oils are probably OK, but "make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates." Anyhow, I've been very happy with Fret Doctor.

I use Fret Doctor also it's great stuff and even though it's expensive it's well worth it a small bottle lasts for years even with all my guitars. I dip a q-tip in the bottle and lightly wipe the fretboard let it soak in for a while and clean off any excess with a clean cotton cloth. Usually only takes 3-4 drops to do a neck.

I don't like to use regular lemon oil on necks anymore it has to much crud added and builds up and/or get's sticky. Regular lemon oil and too much water are the main two explanations I usually hear when somebody has popped frets and/or cracked a board.

Archived