Gibson Brands Forums

I miss mahogony

Hall

I have to have one mahogony. Just can't be done without that as my basic sound.[cursing] I'm looking at the J-45, Country Western or maybe another SJ.

Any opinions before I start the hunt? Thanks.

Hall

I have to have one mahogony. Just can't be done without that as my basic sound.[cursing] I'm looking at the J-45, Country Western or maybe another SJ.

Any opinions before I start the hunt? Thanks.

Hall

Try them all until you find the one that works best for you....

[thumbup]

I'm going to try them all for certain. I've got an itch for a Country Western, if I find one up to quality and and sound. My old SJ was square shouldered and same guard style. I always do some deep searching before I buy. Hard to justify another purchase when I have a home full of guitars. So, I'm fighting that issue also.

I'm going to try them all for certain. I've got an itch for a Country Western, if I find one up to quality and and sound. My old SJ was square shouldered and same guard style. I always do some deep searching before I buy. Hard to justify another purchase when I have a home full of guitars. So, I'm fighting that issue also.

Hey Hall,...do you have a preference on new or vintage?

I'm REAL happy with the mahogany sound of my new J-45 - it's the first guitar I've owned with that type of wood and I like the tone and feel of it. Definitely different than the rosewood back and sides of my other guitars - and in a good way.

"Miss Mahogany"....I think that is a beauty pageant in Honduras???

Yea, that was a good one. By the way, I brought her home with me.

Hey, thank you guys for the serious replies.

Steve

please dont all hate me for being a heathen here.. but before you go buy the gibson, can i suggest you try out some of the freshman guitars.

It was a brand i wasnt familiar with and to be honest when i first looked at them i was dubious.

I had been shopping for a new acoustic and i wasnt worrying too much on the price. I had tried most of the guitars in the store from the cheapest to most expensive and trying to find a tone or sound that just made me think hell yeah. the only guitar in the store i had ignored was actually the one I bought and took home. As I mentioned i tried all different brands and styles and ignored the "blue" guitar but my buddy who was with me said something along the lines of, "you've been trying guitars for almost two hours so whats two more minutes to play that thing?" best advice he ever gave me. I was originally put off because it was a matt blue finnish.... but... it is mahogony!!! I picked it up and i still remember the first chord I strummed, it was a basic, straight forward "Am". I almost peed with delight when i heard it ring out. I had to have it regardless of the colour which in time grew on me and i love that guitar.

Its a Freshman FA300 ABL. I dont think that they make the specific model anymore but the rest of their middle to upper range are very good also. I wouldnt hesitate in buying another. Put some nice Martin phosphour bronze strings on and it sounds sweet as heck..[thumbup]

please dont all hate me for being a heathen here.. but before you go buy the gibson, can i suggest you try out some of the freshman guitars.

It was a brand i wasnt familiar with and to be honest when i first looked at them i was dubious.

I had been shopping for a new acoustic and i wasnt worrying too much on the price. I had tried most of the guitars in the store from the cheapest to most expensive and trying to find a tone or sound that just made me think hell yeah. the only guitar in the store i had ignored was actually the one I bought and took home. As I mentioned i tried all different brands and styles and ignored the "blue" guitar but my buddy who was with me said something along the lines of, "you've been trying guitars for almost two hours so whats two more minutes to play that thing?" best advice he ever gave me. I was originally put off because it was a matt blue finnish.... but... it is mahogony!!! I picked it up and i still remember the first chord I strummed, it was a basic, straight forward "Am". I almost peed with delight when i heard it ring out. I had to have it regardless of the colour which in time grew on me and i love that guitar.

Its a Freshman FA300 ABL. I dont think that they make the specific model anymore but the rest of their middle to upper range are very good also. I wouldnt hesitate in buying another. Put some nice Martin phosphour bronze strings on and it sounds sweet as heck..[thumbup]

Tartanbeastie,

Will do, and thanks for the tip. I try them and buy them as to what sounds and feels best. I am familiar with the Freshman in name only. But, I intend to find the right guitar, and I go slow. I'll put the Freshman on the list to locate and try one out soon as I can do so. Thanks again for the word.

Steve

Your more than welcome. Like I said, I wasnt familiar let alone considered one but after playing it I was hooked. I agree, its all about the sound and for some reason its the one that spoke to me. Good luck on your search.

it's the first guitar I've owned with that type of wood and I like the tone and feel of it. Definitely different than the rosewood back and sides of my other guitars - and in a good way.

I find myself grabbing my SJ everytime I play lately. That mahogany tone is heaven! If I'm not pickin' bluegrass where a rosewood guitar is a "must-have", I'm playing my SJ/TV!

Archived