Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry!

Andy R

I apologize for the long replies in some of the threads. I thought this was the Gibson forum not the Gibson twitter lounge.... Just thought people here would be interested in actual conversational thoughts, ideas and theories and maybe sharing some knowledge other than "I think you should get an SG or a Les Paul.... " [flapper] I will go back to my little hole at the top of the page now.... [crying]

Wow... don't tell me someone told you to stop it. I actually find your posts interesting and helpful for the OP and anyone who might come upon them. I know some guys would preffer it if you only went in to post "+1" and " [thumbup] " all the time [lol]

i feel you. the therapy thing, while true, was meant as a joke. i'm pretty sure you got it. and for the written word, some of us are better at it than others. writing takes skill in itself, and sometimes the effort to get it perfect is not in proportion to get it perfect. i mispell a lot and don't capitolize. i also read my own stuff often and think i'm coming across as a know it all and i certainly don't want to demean others. i totally get the draw of passing info to others. some of us are far more nerdy about detals of tone than others, and when we learn something, we want to pass it on, not beacause we want poeple to think we are better or smarter, but because we want to share the discovery and the impact some little peice of knowledge had in achieveing our goals. not always possible to not seem you are taking credit or assuming you are right and the only one right.

i totally agree and get that to achieve something, learn something, or improve something, there are far more failures than successes, and then even when we have success we are usually wrong about what the variable that caused it was. for some it is fun to experiment with the hope that we will learn something we can be sure of and use. for some we don't want to experiment at all, we want to get the right pickup or speaker the first time. for that we have to rely on someone who has the proper knowledge that got it from being wrong so many times in the first place. this is where the fun is. and it isn't about one opinion being more right than another, it is about understanding different opinions and preferences and being able to satisfy and respect what one prefers and desires.

Andy... Stein...

I'm fairly long-winded too on occasions.

But here's a tip so it's generally easier to read: Keep it so paragraphs are relatively short and put a blank line between paragraphs.

There has been a lot of research into typography over the years and a lot of it is difficult to switch over to Internet sites because we're so different in our monitor setup - and some even use such as Blackberries for this forum and similar ones. Even newspaper and book designers seem to have forgotten the research. <sigh>

But the principles remain the same: The eye can easily keep its place only at certain line line widths and numbers of lines within paragraphs. One reason for the paragraph indent in the first place is to anchor the eye.

Some 20 lines can be easily read perhaps three to six at a time, or very difficult at all 20 jammed together in one paragraph.

Type style similarly can make huge differences, but... that's perhaps for next time.

Andy... Stein...

But here's a tip so it's generally easier to read: Keep it so paragraphs are relatively short and put a blank line between paragraphs.

There has been a lot of research into typography over the years and a lot of it is difficult to switch over to Internet sites because we're so different in our monitor setup - and some even use such as Blackberries for this forum and similar ones. Even newspaper and book designers seem to have forgotten the research. <sigh>

But the principles remain the same: The eye can easily keep its place only at certain line line widths and numbers of lines within paragraphs. One reason for the paragraph indent in the first place is to anchor the eye.

Some 20 lines can be easily read perhaps three to six at a time, or very difficult at all 20 jammed together in one paragraph.

Type style similarly can make huge differences, but... that's perhaps for next time.

now THERE is some help. good idea.

i have started trying to sperate different points so the reader and quickly scroll over and pass up the ones they don't want and get to the ones they do. perhaps a little separation is in order.

but then, there is the ramble in which case you just have to hit the send button at some point and hope someone cares.

how was that?

I always read your replies, keep up the good work Andy, you have a lot of knowledge and I'm glad that you want to share it with us [thumbup]

Thanks man and .... I think I could fix that headstock[biggrin]

Andy... Stein...

i have started trying to sperate different points so the reader and quickly scroll over and pass up the ones they don't want and get to the ones they do. perhaps a little separation is in order.

but then, there is the ramble in which case you just have to hit the send button at some point and hope someone cares.

how was that?

Milo is the Sage of wisdom and reason here. He could school us pups in a minute on a variety of subjects! And he is very found of the use of P.A.'s [tongue]

Andy

how was that?

Awesome... now about those capital letters... [biggrin]

I too am working on my brevity. I get carried away sometimes. I don't think I've ever felt your posts needed trimming though, Andy, the fearless ninja wizard Les Paul destroyer (I mean re-builder). [biggrin]

I have started trying to break my posts up into smaller chunks per Milo's advice. I think that he is correct (as usual) regarding the effect of white space on readability.

I wish I could take credit for my comments on readability. I tip my hat to the late Ed Arnold. I met him only once, but learned much from him both directly and indirectly. He's still known among old timers, at least, as the "Father of North American newspaper design" regardless that many seem to have forgotten the basics he emphasized.

But... some of the newer folk now are beginning to do some similar studies about readability of web pages. Their study runs something along the same lines but unfortunately their reports tend to be more "academic." Therefore, fewer people read it.

How do our eyes most easily follow text? How can text be formatted on screen so that it is both most easily read and understood?

I think if we really want to communicate well, we need to consider this sort of thing.

So... I try. Most of the time. But I get awfully long winded sometimes too.

m

Long winded posts are fine as long as they're spaced out properly. It feels like reading a novel when you type like this;

lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor

and lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor

also lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor

But lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor [thumbup]

See? your eyes glaze over. Milod and Andy and other members who type long posts get it and break them up. Others who are possibly new to the internet don't do this and I tend to fluff over their posts.

I meant to say Andy, I'm on the other side of the coin. I write out posts that I think are well thought out and on topic and I hardly every get a response throughout the thread unless I'm directly trying to get one. Maybe most people have my posts hidden by now who knows. Either way you conduct yourself here admirably, so carry on.

lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor

and lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor

also lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor

But lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor lorem ipsum dolor [thumbup]

+1!!!

Hahahaha

Shred...

That's the kinda stuff that has been used as text "filler" in design mockups. <grin>

Kinda cute. Some has been a lot more complex such as everybody saw when Pagemaker first came out in the '80s, but...

m

Shred...

That's the kinda stuff that has been used as text "filler" in design mockups. <grin>

Kinda cute. Some has been a lot more complex such as everybody saw when Pagemaker first came out in the '80s, but...

m

To be fair Milod there's more information in the lorem ipsum dolor paragraph than in some of the posts I read from time to time, not just here, but on the internet in general.

Shred... no problem... I knew. <grin> But I figured some don't.

But...

Anybody recognize: ETAOIN SHRDLU

That's from the days I learned to read backwards and upside down.

Owl... yupper. No argument on that, either.

m

Archived