Gibson Brands Forums

Rap

Shnate McDuanus

If you don't get it, that's OK. It took me a long time to really begin to understand rap, but for the past few months I've begun to really immerse myself in it, and I've found myself personally touched by the sorts of stories that are developed and portrayed through a large part of the rap oeuvre, especially in classic hip hop and the hardcore rap sub-genre. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I consider it music, but I've decided that it doesn't matter. If it is music, then it has the potential to be very, very good, and if it's not music, then it's something else entirely which is in and of itself very good and does not need to be considered music. As it is, I'm inclined to consider it music, although it's of an entirely different nature, sacrificing certain melodic elements for the sake of the rhythmic elements--not that that's in any way a bad thing.

Basically, I like rap, and I hope you enjoy the pieces I've posted above. If not, well, that's the way you feel about it and that's OK too.

What does the Gibson Forum think about rap/hip hop?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like a lot of rap and hip hop...although for me, its prime was the 90's...I'm very picky with my rap these days as there is a lot of ©rap out there. :) See what I did there?

Del the Funky Homosapien is probably my fav rapper....the album he did called Deltron 3030 is my fav rap album of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aocYRShXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_jbluF0qo

Yeeeeeah!

Purely personal view...I loathe and detest it in all it's genres and sub-genres

Again personally I believe it reflects the desire to 'have something for nothing' attitude of many young people

To have fame and money without the bother of studying music and working hard to perfect one's craft

Some of the lyrics are nasty and disturbing, and not suitable for the many children who listen to, and are beguiled by them

Luckily I know how to use the off switch whenever this kind of thing is broadcast...

Thinking of rap etc as folk poetry and angst is a different issue...urban blues without musical content if you will....

Some people have suggested the origin of rap is in Reggae and Ska 'toasting' from the 70's in Jamaica etc

That IMO can be enjoyable, rhythmic and creative within a musical framework....

V

:-({|=

Versatile, it sounds like you are only referring to "Gangsta Rap" with your comments.

They may not change your mind, but check out the two tracks that I posted. They are both melodic and musical and the lyrics are awesome...not a ***** or a ho to be found. :)

I think GOOD rappers have a lot of talent. You (any of you, not just Versatile) try to write 32 bars of rhyming lines and have it make any sense. :)

Anyway, I know lots of people here detest rap, but just like rock, there are MANY types...some quite intelligent and melodic.

Edit: I'll also add that its very difficult to DELIVER those lines once you write them without sounding bad! (I've tried!!)

Shred...

Del is a great rapper, yeah. His work is incredibly creative and musical. I think that he's a perfect example of what qualifies rap as music. He's, for sure, one of my favorites (besides Phife Dawg--and come on man, tell me you aren't down with the Tribe) and he exemplifies many of the creative horizons of hip hop.

Versatile, it's really perfectly acceptable that you're not into it, but I've got to say that you paint the genre with an unnecessarily broad brush, and without necessarily even examining the roots which necessitated the themes which characterize hardcore and gangsta rap. It's true that, perhaps, the themes and language used in a lot of rap is completely inappropriate for younger people, and it's also true that, in a lot of ways, the original roots behind the movement have been obscured (something I blame mostly on the media and the moral panic surrounding something as "detestable" as the empowerment of underprivileged urban communities) but the stuff you object to is not there simply for shock value, and it's not there because the performers lack creativity.

In a lot of ways, rap comes down to empowerment. Like funk and soul, its stylistic predecessors, rap is about bringing "power to the people," in other words, the development of self-respect, representation, understanding and ultimately freedom to the "have-nots." The earliest hip-hop pieces were essentially funk compositions, and espoused positive and largely optimistic themes celebrating the rich cultural heritage shared by the African-American community. The reason why rap took a turn towards grittier and more violent themes is, unfortunately, due to the gang activity that many early artists in the hardcore and gangsta sub-genres were exposed to, more often than not out of self-preservation. From this, hip hop took a transition from the more positive, funk-influenced style to the grittier, more socially relevant style where the artists made attempts to explore, in creative and constructive ways, themes of social injustice, organized urban crime, and the struggle of growing up and living in underprivileged urban ghettos. Through this, a heavily individualistic trope developed, through which much rap music essentially came to be comprised of bragging and clever, often lofty self-appraisal. Still, if you really take the time to listen to a lot of the lyrics in rap music (take, for instance, Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day"--"I didn't even have to use my AK, I got to say it was a good day...") you would find that the aim, instead of glorification, is simply exposition.

I have more to say, especially about the corruption of these themes and why a lot of contemporary rap is no good, and some more listening recommendations, but I've got to run to class now.

Here's some Eazy-E:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btH4e0-WQAo&feature=related

Only one rapper I've ever come across have I liked. His last name is Notarfrancisco so they shortened it, he's simply NOTAR. I saw him live with two other bands and expected nothing from him until I read up on him. He was granted a full ride scholarship to music school for Jazz trumpet. His rapping was more like some odd rock-rap hybrid, the lyrics were actually quite deep (it wasn't just "b!tches hos b!tches hos", there was meaning). He even pulled out the trumpet for a few songs, it was great [thumbup]

Only one rapper I've ever come across have I liked. His last name is Notarfrancisco so they shortened it, he's simply NOTAR. I saw him live with two other bands and expected nothing from him until I read up on him. He was granted a full ride scholarship to music school for Jazz trumpet. His rapping was more like some odd rock-rap hybrid, the lyrics were actually quite deep (it wasn't just "b!tches hos b!tches hos", there was meaning). He even pulled out the trumpet for a few songs, it was great [thumbup]

Yeah, I've heard a little bit about NOTAR here and there, but...

*sigh*

I'm sorry, did you read my post? Did you listen to any of what I posted, or what any of what Shred posted? Rap (when it's good) is full of depth. I'm sorry, but if your conclusion about rap as a genre is that it's mostly just "b!tches hos b!tches hos," then I really have to question how closely you've listened to the rap that you've heard. It's a genre that requires attention, thought and patience, because it's primarily focused around lyrical content. I won't deny that there is some terrible rap music out there (ICP, Bubba Sparxxx and Lil John come to mind immediately,) but I'll say, with full conviction, that from The Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" in 1979 to today, rap can and often does present all the depth and conceptual complexity that other genres of music do, and in many cases more so, because of its spoken-word nature.

I don't mean to be difficult with you, but listen to Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet or A Tribe Called Quest's The Low End Theory, or Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock, or Black Star's Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star, then maybe (if you listen with your ears for once) you'll know what I'm talking about. You don't have to like it, but if you're qualifying your distaste for it with broad, ignorant statements about the content of an entire genre except for "one rapper you liked," then I doubt you've even really given it a fair shot.

I'll admit to finding much of the rap I've heard a bit alienating.

I don't think it's all 'bout bit*ches and hos, either. It just does

not speak to me the way other music does. That said, after watching

the movie "Hustle and Flow" I did download the soundtrack and occasionally

crank it up in the car. Sure gives the subwoofer a workout!

I also realize there is more depth to the genre than it is given credit

for. KRS-One springs to mind, but my knowledge doesn't run very deep

here.

I'm at work, and the IT nazis won't let me see the streaming vids

posted here already, but I'll check them out later.

Yeah, I've heard a little bit about NOTAR here and there, but...

*sigh*

I'm sorry, did you read my post? Did you listen to any of what I posted, or what any of what Shred posted? Rap (when it's good) is full of depth. I'm sorry, but if your conclusion about rap as a genre is that it's mostly just "b!tches hos b!tches hos," then I really have to question how closely you've listened to the rap that you've heard. It's a genre that requires attention, thought and patience, because it's primarily focused around lyrical content. I won't deny that there is some terrible rap music out there (ICP, Bubba Sparxxx and Lil John come to mind immediately,) but I'll say, with full conviction, that from The Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" in 1979 to today, rap can and often does present all the depth and conceptual complexity that other genres of music do, and in many cases more so, because of its spoken-word nature.

I don't mean to be difficult with you, but listen to Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet or A Tribe Called Quest's The Low End Theory, or Afrika Bambaataa's Planet Rock, or Black Star's Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star, then maybe (if you listen with your ears for once) you'll know what I'm talking about. You don't have to like it, but if you're qualifying your distaste for it with broad, ignorant statements about the content of an entire genre except for "one rapper you liked," then I doubt you've even really given it a fair shot.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought all rap was like that! If ever it came off as that I'm sorry. I'll take a deeper look at what you posted, earlier I was half asleep.

I will admit I have an unfortunate bias against rap. Thanks for straightening me out.

Understood.

Sorry for d*cking at you earlier on. We cool?

This goes for everyone, if b!tching me out is called for, then it's all good [thumbup] and in this case it definitely was.

I'll repost my thoughts later after I've had a good chance to listen when fully alert. :)

I don't know why a lot of people have a hatred for rap.

Some of it is really good, and like Shred said, the 90s were the best for it. You just have to avoid the really weird stuff, like most music genres.

My favorite is Biz Markie [flapper]

Dude, the Biz is excellent!

He's just so offbeat and creative, you can't help but to like him. [thumbup]

Rap can be very gritty and kind of alien to many of us but I've always felt it was a truthful outlet and an expression of the life around the rappers. The earliest "rap" the I heard was in the movie "Performance", a British gangster movie from 1969 with Mick Jagger. It was a group known as the New Poets I think and it was a rhythm backed group rap called "Wake Up N****rs". Very political and gritty.

Rap isn't what I grew up thinking music was but I am not one to totally dismiss it. Like everything else in our society, music changes and evolves.

It's funny how polarizing a Rap discussion can get. It has a lot to do with how it is displayed in the media. If your opinion of rap is based soley on what you here on the radio or see on tv, you are most likely gonna completely hate it. Unfortunately none of the really good stuff ever hits the mainstream, and the really good old stuff gets completely ignored nowadays. My roommate listens to nothing but dirty south rap, its only real purpose is to produce massive amounts of bass. That is the type of rap I can't stand.

If you take the time to look, and listen to some of the stuff posted so far you will find there is a lot of good rap out there. Some of my personal favorites are NAS - Illmatic (the whole album was great imo), The Roots (i would say most of their stuff is good), Wu-Tang Clan (this is more towards the grittier violent side), KRS One, A Tribe Called Quest, NWA (again more towards the grittier violent side), Run DMC, Mos Def, Common. These are really my favorites, but there are quite a few others that have some great stuff out there. Hell, even now I think guys like Lil' Wayne or Jay-Z, Eminem, they all have their moments, some songs are really good, some completely miss the mark.

The fact of the matter is, if you don't like it and think it sux, that's all well and good. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but anyone who wants to say that, should say it after giving the genre a fair shake. Don't just here one song on the radio and say "this song is terrible, I hate rap music." Give it a chance, and I can say that their will be something out there for everyone.

I gotta say these are the kinds of threads that make this place worthwhile for me.

So much better than what amp should I buy or are speed knobs really speedy? [biggrin]

And some of the stuff posted has made it to my "find and purchase or download" list...

Del the Funky Homosapien

Jedi Mind Tricks

Sage Francis

I'm pretty impressed that they can address serious sh*t in rhyme like that.

What I don't seem to like is the stuff that is just boasting - the song about Dre

for example. Just seems like in a highly verbal medium like rap you ought to actually

have something important to say.

I gotta say these are the kinds of threads that make this place worthwhile for me.

So much better than what amp should I buy or are speed knobs really speedy? [biggrin]

And some of the stuff posted has made it to my "find and purchase or download" list...

Del the Funky Homosapien

Jedi Mind Tricks

Sage Francis

I'm pretty impressed that they can address serious sh*t in rhyme like that.

What I don't seem to like is the stuff that is just boasting - the song about Dre

for example. Just seems like in a highly verbal medium like rap you ought to actually

have something important to say.

surfpup - get Deltron 3030....its Del's best work by far....soooo good!!

Archived