Gibson Brands Forums

Rap

Shnate McDuanus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eminem definitely gets my respect. For a guy like that to break into a predominately black musical genre (especially coming off the heels of Vanilla Ice's monstrosity of a career) to be considered one of the best rappers in the game is pretty amazing. I mean The Slim Shady LP blew my mind when I first heard it, just the topics he was rapping about, and his style. Obviously he has benefited a lot from having Dr. Dre as a producer, but still the guy has skill.

I hate gansta rap in all of its forms with the exception of Ice T's OG album. You can see the extension of that in commercial hip hop where it's all about guns, hoes, and what a big man you are. But what takes the cake as the worst is anything P-Diddy does. That puke has no game; just a hanger on and gravy-trainer. Good business sense, though.

I love old school hip hop and the more inventive stuff like P.E. and Run DMC. Did not like the Anthrax cover, but I can respect it. To me the original has more punch if you listen to what Chuck D is saying. The Bomb Squad is insane! They can produce any of my records any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvy7MWjfVPE

This is my all time favorite. Takes me back to the eighties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwDIq4evTM

I also dislike 90%+ of rap including what you posted, some of the writing is excellent and the delivery can be interesting but the genre is all about glorifying the gansta life style and how unfair life is etc. etc. I grew up in LA and know all about city life but stupid and criminal isn't the only option and personally I'd rather see people like that in prison than on MTV but to each his own. I love reggae and even some of the hip hop style of music which tells the same kind of story but with class not crass.

Listen to some good reggae it's all about the unfairness of government and life, but again done with class and that's what defines it as art to me at least.

the genre is all about glorifying the gansta life style and how unfair life is etc. etc.

No...it really is not. That genre is referred to as Gangsta rap and there is a LOT out there that has NOTHING to do with gangs and hard times...

I don't ask you to like it, but that is such a broad generalization that I couldn't help but respond.

Here's a couple of cool tracks by a white boy named Sage Francis....this cat is a poet...very emotional in most of his tracks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9LVe1p0uWY

So I found some leaked tracks to the new album this guy has coming out. Holy sh*t, it

is really good. All kinds of unique instrumentation (acoustic even) with some real heavy

lyrics spread on top and cool backing vocals. Quite impressive. [thumbup]

No...it really is not. That genre is referred to as Gangsta rap and there is a LOT out there that has NOTHING to do with gangs and hard times...

I don't ask you to like it, but that is such a broad generalization that I couldn't help but respond.

Understand - that that's why I said I dislike 90% of rap and I'll stick to that, I was specifically speaking about the two rap song put up by the original post - the first one about running from the police and the second set in prison talking about how they owe America nothing because of race and how they had to grow up in a ghetto - that is why I posted what I did those two original rap songs are pure gansta rap cleaned up by the music industry so it can be sold to middle class America at a Walmart store.

Again to each there own - but I'll pass and the people who say Rap is America's most original genre, I'd like to smack them with a guitar. I went to junior high about four miles outside of Compton California so Ive heard enough and seen enough to have a pretty good understanding what rap is about.

Understood retro...all good.

For me, good rap/hip hop needs two elements:

1) A good beat (without it, i don't care how good the rapper is)

2) A rapper with good flow and delivery

Most of the time i couldn't care less what they are saying...but the beat...so important to me...

So I found some leaked tracks to the new album this guy has coming out. Holy sh*t, it

is really good. All kinds of unique instrumentation (acoustic even) with some real heavy

lyrics spread on top and cool backing vocals. Quite impressive. [thumbup]

Pretty much a direct copy of early Eminem - Not that that's a bad thing before Em lost it and got too pissed off at the whole world he did some pretty amazing stuff.

Understood retro...all good.

For me, good rap/hip hop needs two elements:

1) A good beat (without it, i don't care how good the rapper is)

2) A rapper with good flow and delivery

Most of the time i couldn't care less what they are saying...but the beat...so important to me...

Interesting point and makes sense in some ways - My wife and I disagree all the time about this she is also all about the flow and sound and I focus heavily on the words. The music is a way of saying something for me as a writer I see all music as poetry with music as a delivery medium. My wife doesn't even hear the words and it used to drive me crazy one of her favorite songs when we were young was AC/DC Highway to Hell and those three words were the lyrics to her.

It's all good but thanks for sharing that it's always interesting to see how different people interpret the same thing in opposite ways

Yep perfect example Shred i hate the lyrics to that Jedi Mind trick song ruins it for me completely.

My wife said it best one time when we were having this discussion - She said I pick music by the beat how it makes me feel, if I tap my foot or not, you pick songs by what they say to you and if you can relate to the story, She then smiled at me and and said for me I don't need a story just a beat, I don't want to think about music as much as you do.

We haven't argued about it since she said that - It was one of those Oh S**t paradigms where I knew we would never agree, but that was ok we were both right. Life is pretty much like that I over think and break down everything endlessly trying to understand the meaning, she taps her foot and be-bops through life happy as a clam.

I really envy that sometimes... [blink]

That was cool, Cookie! [thumbup] I can only imagine how it must feel to

make music with your son. Hoping to experience that one day. BTW,

he sure looks like dad! (poor sumb*tch!) [biggrin]

I'll pass on the kind words to him SP.

I'm on vacation this week and will be working on a new one with him for his latest cd.

Yeah and thank the good Lord my daughter looks like her mom. lol

She said I pick music by the beat how it makes me feel, if I tap my foot or not, you pick songs by what they say to you and if you can relate to the story

This is true. [thumbup] Though in my house it is the opposite. It is my wife who hears (and remembers) all

the lyrics. I routinely muff lyrics to songs I've known for years. I'll say "well that's what it feels like he

should say" and she just cracks up!

And to make matters worse, I'm the English teacher to whom you'd think words would be important! [biggrin]

Archived