Gibson Brands Forums

Some sage-like advice that stopped some GAS...

Supersonic

I've been so obsessed with getting new equipment lately, but I read a quote from Slash yesterday that made me want to just stick with what I have for now and concentrate on playing more instead of changing pickups, buying a new pedal, ect. He said "After all these years I have come to the conclusion that 80% of your sound is you, not your gear, for better or for worse." So true.

But stuff is fun!

Of course, you're right. I often wonder whether guitar aficionados might just be the world's worst cork sniffers. Some Harley people can get pretty 'out there' as well, but most still recognize the usefulness of other bikes.

Now I gotta get me a Princeton Reverb!

"After all these years I have come to the conclusion that 80% of your sound is you, not your gear, for better or for worse." So true.

Right! Exactly HOW many guitars does "Slash the Sage" own? LOL

The fact is, any of us that have become comitted guitar enthusiasts (notice I didn't say "players") are, by our very nature, TONE CHASERS! No mater what we own, or how many, there will ALWAYS be that "Holy Grail" guitar out there, that elusive sound, that lost chord that will make our guitar lives complete ... until we own it, that is!

Look ... as far as dumb things that people can spend their money on ... and I'm saying this as a resident of Las Vegas, mind you ... guitars and assorted paraphernalia are way ... WAY down the list!

Oh ... and here's Slash with his "small collection" of axes:

Jim

Yes I've seen his guitar collection many times. Perhaps I should have put more emphasis on the fact that what he said simply made me want to practice more and not obsess so much over MORE stuff to get. I crave new gear as much as the next guy. :rolleyes: If I was a ridiculously wealthy world famous guitarist, I'd probably own more than one guitar as well. That really wasn't the point. In fact, it seems even more relevant since it was said by someone that basically owns, or could easily afford EVERY piece of cool gear that exists.

I always get a laugh when these rockstars make their way through dozens of roadies,guitar techs, sound engineers,pass mountains of amps,pass by a sound board that looks like Nasa's mission control,miles and miles of cables and then take a seat center stage with a reporter to do a interview. Then have the balls to say," Uuhhh,yeahhhh,like wow man, dig it. Sound comes from the soul."

I also noticed alot of these guys who talk the talk about "its in the fingers" sure sell a hell of alot of stuff which I guess is crap seeing thats its "in the fingers." Oh yeah, "Be yourself,do your own thing and do not copy anybody." Especially do not copy any number of signature Guitars I am hocking.

Ahhhhh just being envious. Anyone who has not taking a shower in 20 years, wears Lincoln's hat,sunglasses indoors, pops up for a cameo with the blck eye peas and still has maintains street cred with shredders is cool in my book.

I always get a laugh when these rockstars make their way through dozens of roadies,guitar techs, sound engineers,pass mountains of amps,pass by a sound board that looks like Nasa's mission control,miles and miles of cables and then take a seat center stage with a reporter to do a interview. Then have the balls to say," Uuhhh,yeahhhh,like wow man, dig it. Sound comes from the soul."

I also noticed alot of these guys who talk the talk about "its in the fingers" sure sell a hell of alot of stuff which I guess is crap seeing thats its "in the fingers." Oh yeah, "Be yourself,do your own thing and do not copy anybody." Especially do not copy any number of signature Guitars I am hocking.

Ahhhhh just being envious. Anyone who has not taking a shower in 20 years, wears Lincoln's hat,sunglasses indoors, pops up for a cameo with the blck eye peas and still has maintains street cred with shredders is cool in my book.

Someone once told me that it's better to buy headstocks than stocks.

I've been so obsessed with getting new equipment lately, but I read a quote from Slash yesterday that made me want to just stick with what I have for now and concentrate on playing more instead of changing pickups, buying a new pedal, ect. He said "After all these years I have come to the conclusion that 80% of your sound is you, not your gear, for better or for worse." So true.

Although there is truth in this wisdom, we also need to have the right tools for the job. I haven't seen slash turn up for any gigs recently with one of these.

41HgEFQq%2BAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think a balance must be found [wink]

Archived