Gibson Brands Forums

should i get the IPHONE4 ?

S t e v e

As long as a phone can make phone calls, receive and send texts, and doesn't make me look like I have an erection when I carry it in my front pocket everything is gravy. I really need to switch providers, AT&T is pissing me off.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great tip. Though your instructions were a bit confusing to me. I found this link explained it more clearly. Very cool tool!

I read that link, it's basically what I said isn't it? :P Oh well, that link had pictures.

Anyone with an iPhone should register for that program, and make sure they connect their iPhone to iTunes on a regular basis to back up or "sync" their info. It's all fun and games until something happens and you can't get your contacts back!

For those who took the time to read through this whole thing here is a bonus iPhone tip for those who lose their phones or have young ones that hide them;

Once you've got a registered iTunes account, go into "Settings" then Account, Mail and Settings, then Add new account. Click on the "Mobile Me" and input your iTunes user name and password.

What this does is registers you for a premium free service from Apple's Mobile Me "Find my iPhone". After you've signed up and confirmed your email turn it on and using the Mobile Me website you can log in and position your iPhone on a map, force it to make a sound if you can't find it in the house, or wipe the information remotely if you know you're not going to get it back.

Thanks for the tip!

Great tip. Though your instructions were a bit confusing to me. I found this link explained it more clearly. Very cool tool!

Me like pictures!

As I've mentioned before this is what I do for a living so if anyone has questions for me about their smartphone (android, blackberry, iPhone a little Nokia and iNQ etc) just P.M me instead so as to avoid me looking like a jackass talking about the different platforms.

I currently have a Motorola Droid X, and my girlfriend has the Motorola Droid 2 Global. We both love them, once you get the interface down it's pretty easy to use. She had the Blackberry Storm 2 before the Droid 2. She did admit there were things she liked about the Blackberry, but overall she likes the Droid 2 a lot more.

I had the original Motorola Droid before the Droid X, and the X is lightyears ahead of the original, and there is already stuff out that is supposed to be way ahead of the Droid X. One thing that is great about Android phones is the open competition. Not just between providers, but between companies like HTC, Samsung, and Motorola. That competition also seems to force Google to constantly try and improve the Android OS.

That is the one thing about the iPhone i really don't like, you only have one choice. Want a slide out keyboard? Sorry, not available. Want a smaller or larger screen? Sorry, not available. Can you please support flash? Sorry, never gonna happen. I have Sprint, or T-Mobile, can I get one? Nope.

I know quite a few people that love their iPhone, love their Macbook Pro and whatever else, but I've just never been able to get into. Nothing against them, it's just not for me.

I currently have a Motorola Droid X, and my girlfriend has the Motorola Droid 2 Global. We both love them, once you get the interface down it's pretty easy to use. She had the Blackberry Storm 2 before the Droid 2. She did admit there were things she liked about the Blackberry, but overall she likes the Droid 2 a lot more.

I had the original Motorola Droid before the Droid X, and the X is lightyears ahead of the original, and there is already stuff out that is supposed to be way ahead of the Droid X. One thing that is great about Android phones is the open competition. Not just between providers, but between companies like HTC, Samsung, and Motorola. That competition also seems to force Google to constantly try and improve the Android OS.

That is the one thing about the iPhone i really don't like, you only have one choice. Want a slide out keyboard? Sorry, not available. Want a smaller or larger screen? Sorry, not available. Can you please support flash? Sorry, never gonna happen. I have Sprint, or T-Mobile, can I get one? Nope.

I know quite a few people that love their iPhone, love their Macbook Pro and whatever else, but I've just never been able to get into. Nothing against them, it's just not for me.

I was staunchly against Apple for years I couldn't stand the proprietary nature of them and obviously I am into the DIY scene so starting with PC made sense to me and I'm glad I did as it led to a great career in IT. I will say that after 15 years of constantly working on them... Questionable OS's, hiding everything from where it used to be on each new os revision, constant "Are you sure you want to do that" Virus updates, blue screens at the worst times etc... I was getting to the point of being over it. The last Straw was when I bought Protools 7 and spent 2 days trying to get it installed properly so I tried it on a macbook at work. It took me about 15 minutes and I was done. ( in more ways than one) I have since been a Mac guy and love having a machine that just works, and doesn't harass me constantly. There are some sacrifices and they are expensive but now I spend more time either enjoying the machine or actually getting work done.

Iphone is a toy (for me) It is not a great work tool nor is it the best for the under the hood guy... But once you make a couple of "enhancements" it's not bad....

What a sad day seeing this on a Gibson forum.... [crying] Who cares? They will be free with breakfast cereals soon...

wow what a miserable git! haha, this is the "lounge" where we talk about allsorts...if ya not interested in it then don't click on the thread and post negative comments! [rolleyes]

not a great way to makes "friends" is it? and if you have no "friends" then no point you being here? [flapper]

OWL, think i'm gonna go with the galaxy s [thumbup]

wow what a miserable git! haha, this is the "lounge" where we talk about allsorts...if ya not interested in it then don't click on the thread and post negative comments! [rolleyes]

not a great way to makes "friends" is it? and if you have no "friends" then no point you being here? [flapper]

OWL, think i'm gonna go with the galaxy s [thumbup]

Great phone! Cheers! Also when you get it download Google Translate, you can speak english into it and it'll give you a translation to most major languages, text and possibly audio depending and it's FREE!

Great phone! Cheers! Also when you get it download Google Translate, you can speak english into it and it'll give you a translation to most major languages, text and possibly audio depending and it's FREE!

cheers mate, i may be calling on you for info/advice when i get it [biggrin]

HTC Desire Z - have a look. Different and brilliant.

The Iphone has the air of 'I didn't know what to pick so I got what everyone else has'

20 years mobile communications experience

HTC Desire Z - have a look. Different and brilliant.

The Iphone has the air of 'I didn't know what to pick so I got what everyone else has'

20 years mobile communications experience

Ahh, at last someone who knows their onions...HTC are now making superb phones... [thumbup]

I still hate phones though.... [cursing]

Steve, I am your mate when it comes to this stuff.

Android (HTC Desire HD, or Galaxy S Vibrant if possible) Great open sourced platform so anyone can make apps for it, powerful google backing and apps, many if not most of the most popular iPhone apps have been made available on the Android platform, and if you use google services like youtube, gmail etc

Steve, I am your mate when it comes to this stuff.

iPhone IF - You use a mac, or macbook at home, prefer iTunes, don't rely on email day to day, want a great web browser experience, like the apps available

I actually own the iPhone and check my mail (3 accounts) every minute from it, best email app in the whole mobile world IMO, I get notifications on every mail than gets into any of the 3 accounts.

I hardly ever wire it up to the mac, I do wire it up to itunes in a PC I keep for internet use only, and from there I download/upload apps, and make backups of the info in the phone.

It really is the best phone for me, though most people down here preffer the blackberry to it (mainly because of the BB messenger)

I actually own the iPhone and check my mail (3 accounts) every minute from it, best email app in the whole mobile world IMO, I get notifications on every mail than gets into any of the 3 accounts.

I hardly ever wire it up to the mac, I do wire it up to itunes in a PC I keep for internet use only, and from there I download/upload apps, and make backups of the info in the phone.

It really is the best phone for me, though most people down here preffer the blackberry to it (mainly because of the BB messenger)

Yes iPhone email is very convenient depending on the type of email service. Gmail, for instance on the iPhone is a true "push" technology where no action is needed on the phone end, the service handles that. However certain email accounts don't offer this service so the iPhone checks on a circuit (Every 5/10/30 min etc) and can be a little annoying depending on the delay.

Blackberry has their own servers that only Blackberry uses, so any and all email accounts get "push" email like gmail does. You can get your email accounts to push to your iPhone for a MobileMe subscription each year, or you can subscribe to a free gmail account and import other email accounts into it, so that the gmail account essentially babysits all your email accounts and you get true push email on your iphone that way! All mail sent and received from your usual accounts being watched by gmail still appear to use their original service, gmail runs it in the background.

But it's as I said before, there is no clear winner, it's all about finding the phone that works best for you. I'm glad you've got that TG, there are still people out there using the wrong phone for them, and that means I still have a job.

Cheers,

Artillery Owl, got any opinions on the Motorola Droid Bionic coming out? Was thinking about getting it whenever my contract expires. I have the Droid X right now, and will only get the Bionic if it is a significant upgrade.

Ooh, also since you say you are an expert on this subject. Any idea when 2.3 Gingerbread is coming out, or if it would be worth the hassle of rooting my phone to put it on manually?

The way I see it, considering the head start that the iPhone got on Android phones, the Android OS has caught up rather quickly. With the amount of competition between manufacturers, phone features have surpassed the iPhone as well.

Artillery Owl, got any opinions on the Motorola Droid Bionic coming out? Was thinking about getting it whenever my contract expires. I have the Droid X right now, and will only get the Bionic if it is a significant upgrade.

Ooh, also since you say you are an expert on this subject. Any idea when 2.3 Gingerbread is coming out, or if it would be worth the hassle of rooting my phone to put it on manually?

The way I see it, considering the head start that the iPhone got on Android phones, the Android OS has caught up rather quickly. With the amount of competition between manufacturers, phone features have surpassed the iPhone as well.

Well,

I don't know much of anything on the Bionic as of right now. Since I'm in Canada sometimes they name phones differently even though they're the same. I'm sure there's a bunch of reasons, but to give you an example, the Motorola Droid in the states is the Motorola Milestone here, exact same phone. I'll look into the bionic if I get a chance and offer up my two cents on it.

As for routing your phone it depends on who you talk to. I think guitarest here routed his android phone because of all the "crapware" as he put it that Sprint put on there. I'm using the HTC Desire HD right now and I don't find it bogged with any "crapware" but that's entirely up to the provider what they push to the device software.

As for OS updates like 2.2 froyo to 2.3 Gingerbread or the rumoured Honeycomb (3.0) I'm not a big fan of jumping on updates too quickly or unofficially, because if you update and something happens there's no recourse. If you update when your carrier launches the 2.3 update and something happens then your carrier (and phone manufacturer) are technically responsible for encouraging you to update your phone on official updates.

If you can't wait or you're getting a new phone in the near future, sure, back it up for info then rout it, but if it's your only mobile connection to the world it's worth waiting for tested updates.

I can't help but be pretty offended by that statement after everything I just put up in this thread.

i would feel the same, but don't feel offended as 99.9% of us appreciate your time and input [thumbup]

Archived