Gibson Brands Forums

NEW P-93 LE Rivieras....Awesome looking!

charlie brown

As you may (or may not) know...The "Gold Top" P-93 has arrived:

EpiP-93GoldTopRivieraLE.jpg

839775.jpg

And, the new White "Custom Royale" Version, is "in stock" at MF, as well. ($549.00)

EpiP-93CustomRoyaleRivieraLE.jpg

(Sorry, no "close-up" available, yet! Will update, when one is available.)

Pretty awesome looking semi's...IMHO. ;>)

Anyone here, have either, or both?

CB

Yeah, I think I made a thread about these. The gold one is pretty sweet and I like the chrome hardware a lot. I don't like the "Royale" version at all (but I'm not a big fan of white guitars in general). I think I'll stick with my red one. [wink]

Well, I knew the Gold Top, had been discussed, but wasn't aware (until I got my MF catalog) that there IS

a "White" one. Personally, I like 'em both! Which, for me/my wallet, could be dangerous! ;>) I too, own

the first, Burgundy, version! Great guitar!! Price, notwithstanding.

CB

The goldtop is "pret' near perfect" IMHO ...

I finally figured out what was bugging me about the white Royale ... I want it to have a matching headstock! Maybe that's just my "Falcon" envy showing, but it would be KILLER on that guitar!

Otherwise they are both cool versions of an already great guitar ... my burgundy beauty is getting a tiny bit jealous ..

Jim

The goldtop is "pret' near perfect" IMHO ...

I finally figured out what was bugging me about the white Royale ... I want it to have a matching headstock! Maybe that's just my "Falcon" envy showing, but it would be KILLER on that guitar!

Otherwise they are both cool versions of an already great guitar ... my burgundy beauty is getting a tiny bit jealous ..

Jim

Jim, have you guys got any of the white ones? Does the binding resemble Gretsch's White Falcon's? In the above photo,

it looks to be some kind of "gold" colored binding, ala Gretsch. But, it may be just the photo, or angle?! ;>b

CB

Jim, have you guys got any of the white ones? Does the binding resemble Gretsch's White Falcon's? In the above photo,

it looks to be some kind of "gold" colored binding, ala Gretsch. But, it may be just the photo, or angle?! ;>b

CB

We haven't seen 'em yet, CB.

Hell ... we haven't even gotten any Nighthawks in yet! These guitars are doing so well in pre-orders that they're not making it into the stores. I'll be sure and snap a few pics and share 'em if I see anything interesting ...

Jim

Lets hope Epiphone has heard the complaints about the gold plated hardware. The bridge plating on my wine red is hideous and fading into the sunset. And they have tightened all the pots and the output jack. These are the only complaints I have,otherwise great guitar, has better sustain than my LP standard, I like the tapered neck, and sounds great through a tube amp, sounds like Mud through a solid state amp.

I have played the red P93 in GC before, maybe 3-4 months ago, and overall I was impressed with the guitar, though having the control knobs like an ES5 but not in a linear arrangement, plus the added 3 way switch in there, makes the controls a little wonky. I liked the neck profile, too. I happened into another GC the other day and saw another one in red. I took it down and I was really disappointed. The neck profile is totally different from the one I had played before. The first one's profile was a comfortable medium C shape and had a nice taper to it. The new one was very clunky feeling, and the guitar had sort of a plasticky quality overall. I don't know if they deliberately thickened the neck because of all the issues with the first run, with broken headstocks (for a while, between eBay and various online vendors, there were a LOT of Riv's for sale with headstocks and necks that had busted in shipping from Asia).

Anyhow, I had myself penciled in for a gold one, but now I'm not too sure.

For anyone who likes a slim & fast neck (not everyone's cup-o-tea), the Valensi Riviera I just picked up has it. Also, for not a whole lot more money you get real P94s, built in Korea rather than China, chrome plating that won't tarnish in ten minutes, and at least on mine, a golden-orange top with lots of birdseye. Honestly at first look, the color reminded me more of a gold top I once had. One downside is that the Valensi's production seems to be rather limited, appearing at most of the large volume retailers only a couple of times per year. Oh, and the Frequensator tailpiece has a neat look, but is sort of an odd duck. So far I'm okay with it.

The P93s look nice, but I think the middle pickup is superfluous, and gets in the way. The limited pickup selection choices don't offer what's needed on a 3-pickup guitar - a 6-way rotary is what's needed, IMO. I think a P92 would be very attractive. As for the Valensi Riviera being "not a whole lot more money", I consider 40% a lot.

Fringe L - The Valensi routinely sells for $699, while the assorted versions of the P93 go for $499 to $549. I tend to look closely at how much I'd already have invested in one guitar vs a reasonable bump up for something I'd consider to have higher build quality and/or better specifications (forgot to mention above that the Valensi also has a one-piece mahogany neck and 5-ply laminate body). Imho, the P94s put the Valensi over the top as a great buy. Certainly not as affordable for everyone out there, but not a lot more cash to save up. And of course deals occasionally come along. My Valensi was a level 2 used instrument from MF for $559, listed as having scratches on the top. Expecting the worst, I had to look hard to notice two minor scratches by the knobs. Could never find this guitar in stock locally, so my golden rule of not buying a guitar without playing it first was broken. In the end it worked out well & must say I'm pleased with guitar #15. Not evenly comparable to my 335, 339, Tennessean & others, but in terms of overall value, it's really quite impressive.

I think the three way selector switch is just fine on these. I don't require a 6 way switch or anything like that. It just takes a little time to get used to it. It is what it is. It seems to have been working for 3 pickup LP Customs and SG Customs for 50 years or so now.

I do agree that the middle pickup seemed like it was getting in the way of picking/strumming at first, but now I don't even notice it. The guitar just kinda grows on you. It would be cool to see a 2 pickup version too though.

I think the three way selector switch is just fine on these. I don't require a 6 way switch or anything like that. It just takes a little time to get used to it. It is what it is. It seems to have been working for 3 pickup LP Customs and SG Customs for 50 years or so now.

I do agree that the middle pickup seemed like it was getting in the way of picking/strumming at first, but now I don't even notice it. The guitar just kinda grows on you. It would be cool to see a 2 pickup version too though.

Agreed! Once you get used to it (and, it doesn't take long, at all), it's very easy to dial up any

of the tones you want, including dialing out, the middle pickup. Middle pickup/picking thing was never

a problem for me, as I play Strat's, too, so I'm used to that.

Cheers,

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Archived