Gibson Brands Forums

Would it/Does it scare you to live in an earthquake-prone area?

heymisterk

Here in Arizona I think were fairly safe geographically the biggest natural threat is just the heat (and now probably Mexico) we have quite a few people every year that just cook themselves with exposure or lack of enough water we also have extremely active storms with a lot of lightning strikes I've seen five homes within a mile of my own home suffer major lightning damage over the last decade. I do agree about floods and tsunami's though not much you can do to prepare or control that amount of water. I wouldn't live below sea level like they do in New Orleans for anything that's just tempting fate.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather.... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

That made me laugh out loud.

I've been through 3 earthquakes (that I felt) in California and am less scared living here than I was growing up where the threat of tornadoes was omnipresent or when I was in training in Galveston where we had tornadoes and hurricanes both. I can't count the number of times I ducked and covered under a mattress scared out of my mind that the house would explode at any minute.

Andrew was a lil wimp, I did Camile and Katrina and for fun I drank a few cold ones during Gustav...... Joking of course about Andrew, that was a bad storm for sure. I got loads of pics from Katrina, but they dont do it justice. The smell of the air of all the dead things was the most disturbing for me....

I was in Virginia when Fran came a-callin'. There was cars moved, trees down, big limbs in the streets, the grounds around my friends condo were completely flooded, and everyone had big smiles on their faces. All I heard was, "That wasn't so bad? You should have been here for ______". everybody filled in the blank with a different name!!

I was out of there before the next hurricane season. There's no such thing as Earthquake Season, and it takes a pretty Big Quake to move cars and down trees. Straight up, Hurricanes are worse than Quakes (at least quakes of 7.2 or less, as I haven't been thru any bigger).

I gotta chime in here :) I grew up on the east coast, so have my experiences with Cat 1 thru 4 hurricanes.. Even dodged a Cat 5 a few years back (Dean) when I was in Jamaica... just clipped the island. I have to say, it was intense.. and quite scary.

Lived in Missouri for about 3 yrs..so had my share of tornado siren "drills" (first monday of each month..) and a few "real" life situations too, also scary. To second another poster's thoughts..I experienced a 5.2 earthquake in 2008 (about 2am or so). Thought someone was breaking into the apartment, and felt the aftershock after work, cube wall started to move... strangest feeling in the world.

Now my spouse and find ourselves in sunny (usually) northern calif. Definitely a concern (earthquakes) seeing the devastation in Japan. I figure that, like stated before, every area in the USA has its risks, you just have to be prepared. Earthquake insurance is smart here, although i've read only 10% of californian's actually have it.

Knock on wood, haven't 'experienced' any big ones out here on the west coast, just a few 2 point something waves...

Peace to all!

Now my spouse and find ourselves in sunny (usually) northern calif. Definitely a concern (earthquakes) seeing the devastation in Japan. I figure that, like stated before, every area in the USA has its risks, you just have to be prepared. Earthquake insurance is smart here, although i've read only 10% of californian's actually have it.

Peace to all!

Epi, where are you in NORCAL?

When the New Madrid fault was predicted to let loose the dogs of hell on the mid-west a decade or so ago, my dad checked into their home owner's insurance. Nope, earthquake damage was not covered without a rider. For a very, very nominal fee he got his Central Illinois home covered. I suspect, however, earthquake insurance in California is like Hurricane insurance along the Gulf Coast. It is essentially a prepayment plan since the odds of you making a claim are a virtual certainty. Therefore, most people cannot afford to insure the home they live in.

I suspect the odds of my dad making a claim on earthquake insurance, or hurricane insurance if he were so inclined to purchase it, is slim to never.

Archived