Gibson Brands Forums

Crack on my Traditional?

ant7629

Hello all

After 18 months of owning my beloved Traditional, I have found what could be crack around the headstock/neck area.

It is quite difficult to capture on camera and it doesn't have an indentation, but it is getting me kinda concerned.

What do you guys think? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

DSC00485.jpg

Sorry to see that.

Doesn't look like much right now, but there's definitely something going on there. Could be one of those hidden case breaks - if it was a painted finish, you'd never know it. Then one fine day you open the case and the neck is cracked open at the headstock angle.

Not sure what you can do. Maybe get an opinion from a luthier/shop. If it's a crack under the finish, maybe they can inject some glue.

Sorry to see that.

Doesn't look like much right now, but there's definitely something going on there. Could be one of those hidden case breaks - if it was a painted finish, you'd never know it. Then one fine day you open the case and the neck is cracked open at the headstock angle.

Not sure what you can do. Maybe get an opinion from a luthier/shop. If it's a crack under the finish, maybe they can inject some glue.

Damn....really? It's definitely under the finish.

It must have been out of the house once since I bought it!!!!!

Can you post some better pictures? I don't think it's a crack. Just looks like the grain of the wood to me.

Tried a few different angles and settings on my camera:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/ant7629/DSC00486.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/ant7629/DSC00488.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/ant7629/DSC00489.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/ant7629/DSC00490.jpg

Could be a grain line.

Maybe.

But don't usually see a grain line in wood where the grain is open ended, like it is in that area.

I still stand on getting an opinion from a luthier/shop - someone that's giving an opinion with guitar in hand instead of looking at photos.

how does it feel when you rub your finger over it?

on my traditional i have a slight crack or seperation along the neck parallel to the binding on the underside but does not interfere with my playing or feel different so I just put it down to a characteristic of my guitar.

Gibsons are not cheap and its heartbreaking to see an imperfection that your worried might affect the structure of the guitar so put your mind at rest take your guitar to your local luthier and ask their oppinion 9 times out of 10 its merely cosmetic.

Grab some insurance too and the luthier wont even charge to give you their oppinion

Completely smooth when I run my finger over it.

A cosmetic imperfection I can deal with. Opening the case one day and finding a cracked headstock, I cannot.

I think I will go with the luthier suggestion from Big Kahune.

I don't see it. Is it the dark streak in the wood grain that you are talking about? If it is, then it is 100% just the wood grain. A crack that large in the headstock would cause it to fly all to h3ll under string tension! :D I think it is just fine, merely a dark wood grain line!

I'd say wood grain, too.

If you feel at all unsure then, to set your mind at rest, you should get it checked out properly but I'd be astonished if it turned out to be anything but grain.

P.

Ant7629 -

Apparently not very many think very much of you ability to see. Or maybe a key piece of information was overlooked -

. . . After 18 months of owning my beloved Traditional, I have found what could be crack around the headstock/neck area. . . .

After owning it for a year and a half - I find it hard to believe you missed it for all that time and are just now noticing this "line". But, I suppose that's not out of the realm of possibilities. However, for anybody who owns an unpainted Gibson - finding something previously unseen like that line, in THAT area, is a cause for close inspection. It's most probably nothing, but get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

It does just looks like a mark in the grain to me things like that can be hard to spot, may just have been light at the time that made it catch your eye . Get it looked at for peice of mind but the fact that the nitro isnt cracked says its probably fine.Hope all turns out well. [thumbup]

Ant7629 -

Apparently not very many think very much of you ability to see. Or maybe a key piece of information was overlooked -

After owning it for a year and a half - I find it hard to believe you missed it for all that time and are just now noticing this "line". But, I suppose that's not out of the realm of possibilities. However, for anybody who owns an unpainted Gibson - finding something previously unseen like that line, in THAT area, is a cause for close inspection. It's most probably nothing, but get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

I am quite surprised myself that I have only just spotted it.

You are absolutely right though....better safe than sorry.

Archived