Gibson Brands Forums

Blacktop Fenders...

dem00n

I just find it weird to play a Jag with humbuckers or a tele with humbuckers cause you dont get that sound that those two instruments are know for. As i said in the post on the epi lounge its like putting all single coils on a les paul. I just find it weird and im not one of those Luddites or whatever the **** you call them.

I don't know, Jags aren't that solidified in the public's psyche, different pick ups wouldn't be such a shock. And Teles have had one or two humbuckers as an option for quite some time. The 70's were full of guitars that "weren't supposed to look like that".

Single coils on a Les Paul, however, does seem wrong. Which means I'd like to see one. Taboo's just piss me off.

What I'd really like to see is a Stratocaster with a set neck and bound maple top on a mahogany body.

I don't know, Jags aren't that solidified in the public's psyche, different pick ups wouldn't be such a shock. And Teles have had one or two humbuckers as an option for quite some time. The 70's were full of guitars that "weren't supposed to look like that".

Single coils on a Les Paul, however, does seem wrong. Which means I'd like to see one. Taboo's just piss me off.

What I'd really like to see is a Stratocaster with a set neck and bound maple top on a mahogany body.

P90s are single coils and they rock on a Les Paul (I have them on my '78 Les Paul Pro). Skinny, strat style s/c pickups would look very odd though...

cheers,

Manse

Yeah but P-90's are like beefed up single coils, personaly i think it P-90's are their own pickup. When i think of the three types of pickups i think of humbucker, single coil and P-90 style pickups.

Oh and for the hell of it.

IMG_4066.jpg

Yeah but P-90's are like beefed up single coils, personaly i think it P-90's are their own pickup. When i think of the three types of pickups i think of humbucker, single coil and P-90 style pickups.

Oh and for the hell of it.

IMG_4066.jpg

Never seen one like that before! I actually quite like it. I am going to log off now, before everyone tells me that I am mad, blind, or both....

Manse

I actually kind of like the look, of the "Blacktop" series, Fender guitars.

If I didn't have to drive 100 miles, to "test drive" one, I might be

even more intrigued. The price sure seems more than fair. Might have

to try one, the next time I'm in E.M. Shorts. ;>)

CB

Actually I'm in agreement with FirstMeasure on this one. See his post for my thoughts. [flapper][thumbup]

I've been known as one who takes delight in slaughtering sacred cows. Screw tradition and convention.

I'm all for killing cows and such but mabye i just think the guitars suck. [lol]

P90s are single coils and they rock on a Les Paul (I have them on my '78 Les Paul Pro). Skinny, strat style s/c pickups would look very odd though...

cheers,

Manse

Actually I was going to address that point, but forgot. I was going to say, "Even p-90's on a Les Paul look a little off, but three fender style single coils would really take it off the mark."

Dem00n - If it weren't for the EMG's I'd take it. [thumbup]

Actually I'm in agreement with FirstMeasure on this one. See his post for my thoughts. [flapper][thumbup]

I've been known as one who takes delight in slaughtering sacred cows. Screw tradition and convention.

How many great ideas have been overlooked because of Conventional wisdom? [thumbdn]

No.

I have played them and hated it. I wanted to like the Blacktop Jazzmaster, but it was awful

For the benefit, of those of us, who can't (easily) "test drive" one...what didn't you like,

about it/them? Did you only try the Jazzmaster, or any of the others?

CB

For the benefit, of those of us, who can't (easily) "test drive" one...what didn't you like,

about it/them? Did you only try the Jazzmaster, or any of the others?

CB

The pickups sounded terrible in the two jazzmasters that I played, the tremolo was just god awful and it didn't feel that good. Also, one of my favorite things about the jazzmaster are the switches to make it more of a "woody" sound, and it lacks those. Its not a jazzmaster, just an offset body with weird pickups

I played a tele and it felt more like a MIM tele, but still different, and not in a more pleasant way.

Your mileage may vary, but I would say just get a MIM for 50 bucks extra or in the case of the jag or the jazzmaster, save up.

The pickups sounded terrible in the two jazzmasters that I played, the tremolo was just god awful and it didn't feel that good. Also, one of my favorite things about the jazzmaster are the switches to make it more of a "woody" sound, and it lacks those. Its not a jazzmaster, just an offset body with weird pickups

I played a tele and it felt more like a MIM tele, but still different, and not in a more pleasant way.

Your mileage may vary, but I would say just get a MIM for 50 bucks extra or in the case of the jag or the jazzmaster, save up.

Interesting. When you say the pickups sounded "Terrible," how? Too bright, dull, or brittle sounding?

I have a MIM '60's Classic (White) Telecaster, on order. So, I'm probably NOT going to buy any other's

for awhile. Just thought the "Blacktop's" looked interesting, from the photos.

Thanks, Fred...

CB

Interesting. When you say the pickups sounded "Terrible," how? Too bright, dull, or brittle sounding?

I have a MIM '60's Classic (White) Telecaster, on order. So, I'm probably NOT going to buy any other's

for awhile. Just thought the "Blacktop's" looked interesting, from the photos.

Thanks, Fred...

CB

I thought the Blacktops were going to be gods gift to man! I was ecstatic when I found out about the jazzmaster, 450 bucks, a p90 and a humbucker? sure its not jazzmaster pickups, but a formidable combination for an array of sounds. I picked one up and the feel was a bit lacking. Then I played it acoustic for a little bit and while it may be a set up thing, it happened with both, the high and low E strings kept popping out no matter how softly I played. Then I plugged it in and the pickups sounded sterile. Well, you can always swap out the pups, but when you get after pickup changes, etc. its going to be about 600 bucks. For another 200 hundred, you could get the Classic Player. Personally, I loathe the Duncan Designed pickups, never really found any good ones.

If it works for you, more power to you, and it might have just been me, but I won't be buying one

[thumbdn] i had the Blacktop Jazzmaster and i thought the sound was good but i actually couldn't find much of a difference between the humbucker and the jazz pup they both sounded very treble-y? and the tone knob was basically on or off no in-between. there was no warmth that i could find from the neck pup. and the bridge is just awful. the strings would pop off with feather light playing and the saddles buzz like crazy and the saddle screws would lower themselves after 1 or 2 songs making all the strings flat and noticeably out of tune and buzz EVEN more. i had to return it and bought a Epi Goldtop Les Paul. [thumbup]

It's very interesting, these complaints sound a lot like the complaints people have always had about Jags, Mustangs, Jazzmasters, and all the Gumby shaped Fenders from the 60's.

They just aren't the best design for electric guitar. The Trem isn't an improvement on the Vintage Style trem, the neck wasn't more comfortable than the Strat, Tele, or Les Paul. The body was designed to look cool, the Strat and Tele were designed to sit and play comfortably. That, I think, is the major difference.

It's very interesting, these complaints sound a lot like the complaints people have always had about Jags, Mustangs, Jazzmasters, and all the Gumby shaped Fenders from the 60's.

They just aren't the best design for electric guitar. The Trem isn't an improvement on the Vintage Style trem, the neck wasn't more comfortable than the Strat, Tele, or Les Paul. The body was designed to look cool, the Strat and Tele were designed to sit and play comfortably. That, I think, is the major difference.

Nope.

I have played REAL jags, mustangs and jazzmasters, and i love them. I really do. These have shoddy humbucker pickups and suck

Archived