Gibson Brands Forums

Greatest song ever

Kimbabig

Ah, the olden days... <grin>

I did Positively Fourth Street in my first college band. Started school with no money and Dad kept my '55 Chrysler so maybe I'd study. A date? What's that? Oh, yeah, I remember now. it was the stuff other guys did and my li'l sis's girl buddies talked about?

Got a job, got some bucks, got the car, got in the band. Suddenly my li'l sis's friends seemed to have thought my personality had become significantly more interesting.

So... in a local roller skating rink that had Saturday dances we did a gig and I dedicated Positively Fourth Street to all the girls on campus. Ah, but I was a bad boy back then. But by then I also had off-campus girlfriends. They thought that was kinda funny.

m

I realize there's all kinds of fantastic music and songs that could be put out here. This group, and particularly the album this song is from, has had quite an influence on music - more than would be expected from their limited commercial success. This song has a great, haunting, Spanish tinged, orchestral arrangement, which at the time was really different. Many have called it a masterpiece. I'll just say, it's been there from '67 through today, covered by a variety of artists. Take your pic - the album version, or a really good live version from 2000. . . . . RIP Bryan MacLean . . . . RIP Arthur Lee

The group - Love . . . . The album - Forever Changes . . . . The song - Alone Again Or . . . . Written by - Bryan MacLean

Album version -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVBMUXr4xo

Live version -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E8pKdZzZQU

Greatest Song ever, by anyone? OR, as alluded in your

sub-text, Greatest "Dylan" song? Either way, it's near

impossible, for me, to decide. There are just too many

Great songs, out there. Mood and/or (past or present)

circumstance, usually determines the one(s) I like, at

any one time.

How's that, for a Cop out?! LOL

CB

Well, if we're talking Dylan, then either of the 2 songs mentioned would be in my top 3, along with Blind Willie McTell.

If we're talking everything else? Springsteen's Thunder Road would be a strong contender for me.

The First Time... is a fabulous tune but, for me, the Stereophonics' version (with Jools Holland) takes it. Kelly Jones' voice is so expressive. Definitely one of those songs that makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.

The First Time... is a fabulous tune but, for me, the Stereophonics' version (with Jools Holland) takes it. Kelly Jones' voice is so expressive. Definitely one of those songs that makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.

Now Bob, you did intend this comment as an April Fool to dovetail with the original post, didn't you?

Personally my all-time favourite is Ewan MacColl's rendition of the Crazy Frog.

I realize there's all kinds of fantastic music and songs that could be put out here. This group, and particularly the album this song is from, has had quite an influence on music - more than would be expected from their limited commercial success. This song has a great, haunting, Spanish tinged, orchestral arrangement, which at the time was really different. Many have called it a masterpiece. I'll just say, it's been there from '67 through today, covered by a variety of artists. Take your pic - the album version, or a really good live version from 2000. . . . . RIP Bryan MacLean . . . . RIP Arthur Lee

The group - Love . . . . The album - Forever Changes . . . . The song - Alone Again Or . . . . Written by - Bryan MacLean

Album version -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVBMUXr4xo

Live version -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E8pKdZzZQU

Thanks for posting that, brought back a lot of memories..

Jax...

I don't know how to explain it, but there's something about the B3 sound with a Leslie that is pretty special whether it's a kind of music we call blues, standards or rock.

In ways I think the sound and concept have a tendency to intimidate a lot of "cover" bands that happily bang away and shred and howl with great skill and talent... but don't even try for a B3 "emulation" or pieces that almost require it for a really "cover" piece.

m

I don't know how to explain it, but there's something about the B3 sound with a Leslie that is pretty special whether it's a kind of music we call blues, standards or rock. ...

Great point and I totally agree. The B3 was used by quite a number of keyboardists. I was always fascinated with the effect the rotation had on the sound.

Great point and I totally agree. The B3 was used by quite a number of keyboardists. I was always fascinated with the effect the rotation had on the sound.

Absolute power combined with endless sustain and almost unlimited overtones = B3

Archived