Gibson Brands Forums

SG 61

M6SON

Hey,

Very, very, very good guitar, I have one the white edition, totally in love with it [thumbup]

for the amp, depends of your style, but the marshall class5, or the blackstar 5W are very good.

Al

That's quite a bit of spending room. Hell, get a couple of small amps for a diverse sound [thumbup]

I don't know Fred.... I've done a bit of amp searching over the years, and looking for diversity while trying to be cost effective in most cases, normally doesn't go hand in hand...

Certainly there are exceptions, but for $900 USD I'd rather have the Boogie and just re-adjust the knobs to get the tone, rather than a bunch of little amps for sake of being versatile....

I don't know Fred.... I've done a bit of amp searching over the years, and looking for diversity while trying to be cost effective in most cases, normally doesn't go hand in hand...

Certainly there are exceptions, but for $900 USD I'd rather have the Boogie and just re-adjust the knobs to get the tone, rather than a bunch of little amps for sake of being versatile....

he hasn't stated a style and for 1000, he could get a tiny terror (for high gain stuff) and a blues jr.

wanna tell me that is "just for the sake of being versatile"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That Tiny Terror Amp is an awful sounding amp IMO [scared] ..... As for a Blue's JR, Boogies nail some of those old Fender tones, because Boogie amps are structured around Fender Amps..... trust me I've owned four Mesa Boogie heads, so I speak from experience.

That Tiny Terror Amp is an awful sounding amp IMO [scared] ..... As for a Blue's JR, Boogies nail some of those old Fender tones, because Boogie amps are structured around Fender Amps..... trust me I've owned four Mesa Boogie heads, so I speak from experience.

You didn't like the Tiny Terror?

In all honesty, I'm offering alternatives because I couldn't get any good sounds when I used the transatlantic... dead serious

You didn't like the Tiny Terror?

Not at all.... Orange Amps in general don't do it for me... They have a strange harmonics to them that make my teeth hurt... kinda like when someone runs their long nails across a chalk board [blink]

Not at all.... Orange Amps in general don't do it for me... They have a strange harmonics to them that make my teeth hurt... kinda like when someone runs their long nails across a chalk board [blink]

See, I love Orange.

And in general, I can't stand Mesas. But I do love Dave Grohl's tone, but now he's using Fender Tonemasters I hear

Agree to disagree I guess [biggrin]

Boogies can be frustrating..... It's one of those amps you'll need to learn how to maneuver around.

When I acquired my two Boogie Mark-IV heads back in the 80's, I wanted to light em on fire [cursing] but with a little patience and a couple of cancelled rehearsals, I spent a few days and learned the amp ... My two 81 Boogie MarkIIB heads were a dream, and that boogie transA has alot of the same characteristic as the MarkII B-heads,

Boogies can be frustrating..... It's one of those amps you'll need to learn how to maneuver around.

When I acquired my two Boogie Mark-IV heads back in the 80's, I wanted to light em on fire [cursing] but with a little patience and a couple of cancelled rehearsals, I spent a few days and learned the amp ... My two 81 Boogie MarkIIB heads were a dream, and that boogie transA has alot of the same characteristic as the MarkII B-heads,

Im with Duane on this one...The TT sounds like **** IMO...I've played a Double Rec, Stilleto, and a Dyna, and they were all some of the best amps I've played on. I just have not had the cash to drop on a head AND a 4x12...I've played a Rockerverb 50 and 100 as well, and they didn't do it for me either..But why buy two average amps when you can get one nice one with likely more capabilities and a better tone all around? I just don't see the logic..( Unless your going down the Class A or Class AB route). But anyways thats just IMO, and I suggest to also look at Carvin Amps...Once I get the cash i think I'm gonna get a 4x12 loaded with Vin 30's and a V3 head (or V3 micro head).. There so much cheaper....and from all the demos I think they sound great...but again haven't had a chance to ever play one.

those are good sounding amps [thumbup] .. I was noodling with one at the Fret House, and it's very old school and hard hitting. If you don't mind not having an FX loop (which I think are worthless).... you'll dig it

OK; I'm with Duane here.....I started with Fender amps in my youth, and moved on from Fenders a few years later....Ever since then I have never played

a Fender amp that I liked...Except one model...A few years ago I had a LOT of money to spend on stuff...I tried out every Mesa Boogie amp I could find.

NONE fit the bill for me....( I didn't try a Mark V, which may have done it for me.)...If Mesas are 'designed' around roughly Fender styles, perhaps that

was my problem.....As Duane says, Mesas can be frustrating.........The Mark V and Trans Atlantic seem to be the Cat's Pajamas though..As such, I

do recommend them...Fender amp lovers love their Fenders; they are good...I bought a re-issue Fender amp and re-sold it for a good profit...I strongly

suggest to the O.P. to check out Egnater amps....I don't like jumping into these " Which amp ? " threads anymore; Too much B.S. and 'fights'.....What

Duane says is correct.....Today, there are many " Boutique " amp makers out there who are making phenominal tube amps....To own these amps

is the way to go.........A nice inexpensive amp is Musician's Friend's deal; JCA20H and JCA 125 half stack at $349.00............Great 20 watt tube amp...

Archived