Gibson Brands Forums

The wife says I have issues

bluzhammer

I just got home an hour ago from a 12 hour shift, turned on the computer, and started warming up the amp. I immediately jump to the forum here to see whats up. I tuned up and started into a little bit of " Living Loving Maid " and was promptly chastised. I politely explained that the sun was up and she should be also. Burning daylight, as John Wayne used to say. That's when it was explained to me that normal people wait until after 10 to start blasting eardrums. I replied that my neighbors know I work nights but have no hesitation running their mowers and weedeaters at 8 a.m., that's when I was informed that I have issues.:rolleyes:

I just got home an hour ago from a 12 hour shift, turned on the computer, and started warming up the amp. I immediately jump to the forum here to see whats up. I tuned up and started into a little bit of " Living Loving Maid " and was promptly chastised. I politely explained that the sun was up and she should be also. Burning daylight, as John Wayne used to say. That's when it was explained to me that normal people wait until after 10 to start blasting eardrums. I replied that my neighbors know I work nights but have no hesitation running their mowers and weedeaters at 8 a.m., that's when I was informed that I have issues.:rolleyes:

People do complain about the sweet sweet sound of a tube amp, but are happy letting mowers run early.

I'll never get it :rolleyes:

Guest FarnsBarns

My outlook is that if I play down to the volume I listen to a cd at then 8am to 11pm is within reason.

Mowers, weed eaters, leaf blowers... ALL should wait until 10 am.

Not guitars.

For the record, I have already played a mini-concert for my wife on my acoustic:

Chevy Van

Blackbird

Heroes

Crow and the Butterfly

Toes

and an original instrumental.

I got up early to take the dogs out so she could sleep. She was up before I could get the coffee made. Said she missed me.

Does that mean SHE has issues???

[thumbup]

Often I play from 10-11 pm when my son is in bed, smack right next room. It used to bother him. Now he says it doesn't, and that it gives the house an "alive" feel. I think he has issues, and me too for causing that idea that late at night for him...

I missed the reference....

Refers to a play/movie (probably way before your time) where people have issues with a pool hall in River City. I gotta remember not to refer to things before 1990, like The Music Man (originally on Broadway in 1957, with revivals in 1980 and 2000).

Refers to a play/movie (probably way before your time) where people have issues with a pool hall in River City. I gotta remember not to refer to things before 1990, like The Music Man (originally on Broadway in 1957, with revivals in 1980 and 2000).

"Trouble with a capital 'T' And that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for pool!"

I still remember that song from when I played in my high school pit band for that musical. [biggrin]

Sounds to me like the missus wanted to be awaken for some luvvin'... just saying.

Although, that might be a bit loud for the neighbors as well.

Damn people and their lifestyles! Wouldn't everything be so much better if the whole world ran according to your schedule? [lol][biggrin]

Actually, I do find it disturbing that there's a double-standard where it's not OK to play loud music early in the morning, even though it's perfectly acceptable to run loud lawnmovers, leafblowers, weedwhackers etc., early in the morning. I guess it's because yard work is seen as a "necessary evil," and loud music is a recreational activity. Little do they know that, for some of us, loud music is a necessity. [cool]

Some folks just don't appreciate power chords through a red hot tube at 8 a.m. Their reasoning escapes me.

I was totally on your side until you said this. If you're playing "Living Loving Maid" with power chords I'd give you an ear full, too. If you're gonna blast the morning air, at least get the riff right. [flapper]

There isn't much "before my time".

But a +1 for you for saying so :D!

Heck, I'm so old that I used to be awakened by the howls of the protoceratops grazing outside soon after sunrise. <grin>

Seriously I guess I never got into playing that loud until I'd at least had my first pot of coffee for the day. Yeah, I average 3 to 4.

Anyway... All kidding aside, I haven't run anything loud enough in the house to wake folks since a period in the '60s when I'd play loudly in my basement apartment only when the folks who owned the place and lived upstairs were gone.

Didn't have a wife in that bit of time, nor "stayovers." I just never cared to play that loudly at sunrise. That's when you want an acoustic on the porch for some sunshine music.

m

I was totally on your side until you said this. If you're playing "Living Loving Maid" with power chords I'd give you an ear full, too. If you're gonna blast the morning air, at least get the riff right. [flapper]

I didnt say I was playing that song in particular with power chords. It was a tounge in cheek generalization.

I know, I was just poking a little fun. Sorry if I came off like a prick. [unsure]

It's cool, I'm now marooned back in the Data Center until 6 a. m., wishing I was at home blasting through some power chording. I actually like to throw the windows open this time of year and blow the ducks off the shoreline behind the house.

Archived