Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Closet?

neilpanda

Yeah, Great! Problem is, I'd have to build a new house, to go with it.

No available (closet) space, for one, now. ;>)

CB

me too, Currently house hunting. I ask all the realtors if they like the idea of a guitar closet [flapper]

It may be "cool," but I noticed the weight on one set up to be "fireproof" as nearly a ton. Sheesh.

For what it's worth, I have a tendency to leave my guitars cased and on the floor. I went through two fires in my youth and the worst that happened was a bit of a blister on a plastic bridge pin on an acoustic that didn't have the case closed although it was on the floor. Anything much higher was "gone."

I do think that firemen of two different towns were awfully careful with their hoses when they saw guitars. But figure that the fires had to have been going for at least five minutes before they arrived. In the second one a fireman told me I shoulda been dead 'cuz it was in the wee hours of the morn and I should have slept right into suffocation. I'm not dead, honest. <grin> In the first one I was at work. In both cases the guitars were about the only things I owned that weren't destroyed.

Again, for guitar safety, note that being low on the floor saved them; even with an open case there was no real damage either from the fire or firefighters' water.

m

I have a large gun safe that weighs around 800 pounds empty. Never thought of converting one for a guitar safe but I guess if you value the guitar as much as you value your guns it could be useful. Although I have never worried that one of the grandchildren might accidentally hurt themselves or others playing a guitar. I think that is the main reason the guns are in a safe.

An unloaded guitar is only a brick or a club but an unplugged guitar can be all of those things and still make music.

...note that being low on the floor saved them; even with an open case there was no real damage either from the fire or firefighters' water.

m

That's why you get on the floor and crawl out of a burning house. The difference between the temperature at head level, when walking and head level when crawling can be as much as 1500°!

Tommy...

Yupper...

It's also why, assuming I had bundles of cash, I'd prefer thinking of a nice big room with lots of low level shelving for guitar stuff rather than a half ton to a ton of "safe."

m

Besides, just how fire proof are 'fire proof' safes?

My buddy's dad, a fire chief, said that a fire safe keeps paperwork readable after the fire by a. keeping oxygen out, b. reducing the inside temp below the boiling point of water, 212° F, while the moisture in the cement like material sandwiched between the walls, boils off. He said that if they find a safe in the rubble, they soak it good and admonish the owner not to try opening the box for at least a day, while the contents cools off. Worst case scenario, the inside of the safe is hot enough to burn paper, but without oxygen, the papers won't burn. Scorch maybe, but not burn completely. If you open it too soon, allowing oxygen inside 'POOF!' it all goes up in the twinkling of an eye, singing eyebrows and lashes in the process. [scared]

What will temps like that do to glue and wood?

Archived